Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2021 04:47:38(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Greetings, Fellow Märklinisti. I'm converting a really old 3021 V200 and want to use LED's. I want the headlights to be quite bright. But this engine uses a three point light pipe and an incandescent bulb, which shines in all directions. Any led I try is so narrow in its beam that it doesn't illuminate the light pipe at all. However, I discovered that 3mm led's are a perfect fit in the headlight holes in the metal shell. That's good. But I can't figure out how to make a connect/disconnect so that I can remove the shell if need be, once the bulbs are wired in. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2021 05:22:40(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Tom,

Please look at

3021 LEDs and decoder update

Hopefully your questions will be answered.
Ross
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2021 06:45:15(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom,

Please look at

3021 LEDs and decoder update

Hopefully your questions will be answered.

Very helpful, Ross. Many thanks!
Tom

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline Br502362  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2021 07:54:06(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
How about these leds?

600100 LED

Cheers

Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2021 13:11:57(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
How about these leds?

600100 LED

Cheers

Åke

Hi Åke,BigGrin

So good to have the opportunity to communicate with you again. I hope Sissi and also your adopted dog are wellBigGrin .
Any current photos?Smile

The LED "globes" you showed in your post are a neat unit, all ready to screw into the original Märklin globe-holder.
I understand there is already a resistor within these LED "globe" units so they are a nice consideration to use in analogue locos.

I too have considered these "LED globes" in the past in regard to conversion of analogue lights with digital change.
The only problem is that because they screw into the original globe-holder they are thus "grounded" to chassis "earth",
as were the original globesSneaky.

Whilst this will still "work" in digital locos it results in a shimmering, fluttering, flickering light due to the "digital
message" in the track current.
To many this is not noticeable but if one wishes to avoid any perceived flickering (as many of us do, but some do not
seem to find this a concern and still very much enjoy our hobby), you need to isolate the globe-holder from the
chassis earth with an independent return to the decoder common (+).
So, the globes you showed are OK for digital if the original globe-holder is isolated from the "chassis earth", but by
the time one does all this, perhaps it is easier and more staight-forward to use independently wired LEDs.Wink

To each his own, we all enjoy our Märklin in our own way ThumpUp

And also regards from your friend Basil:

UserPostedImage

who is not always on duty :

UserPostedImage

Oh, and by the way Åke, despite our guard-hound OhMyGod we had a Wallaby (a similar but smaller marsupial than
a Kangaroo) come in from "next door" and take up residence in our very, very urban garden this spring.
We do not know how she/he got here or where he/she came from but she/he ate some of the new-leaf
growth of our roses, much to the chagrin of our gardener; we have named him/her (in new bureauspeak:
"them") "skippy" in favour of the early Australian 1960's TV series; Basil keeps a friendly eye out for
him/herLaugh .
This is very much a rarity in our suburbOhMyGod .

UserPostedImage

With Kind Regards,

Philip
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Br502362  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2021 13:54:42(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
How about these leds?

600100 LED

Cheers

Åke

Hi Åke,BigGrin

So good to have the opportunity to communicate with you again. I hope Sissi and also your adopted dog are wellBigGrin .
Any current photos?Smile

The LED "globes" you showed in your post are a neat unit, all ready to screw into the original Märklin globe-holder.
I understand there is already a resistor within these LED "globe" units so they are a nice consideration to use in analogue locos.

I too have considered these "LED globes" in the past in regard to conversion of analogue lights with digital change.
The only problem is that because they screw into the original globe-holder they are thus "grounded" to chassis "earth",

Whilst this will still "work" in digital locos it results in a shimmering, fluttering, flickering light due to the "digital
To many this is not noticeable but if one wishes to avoid any perceived flickering (as many of us do, but some do not
seem to find this a concern and still very much enjoy our hobby), you need to isolate the globe-holder from the
So, the globes you showed are OK for digital if the original globe-holder is isolated from the "chassis earth", but by
the time one does all this, perhaps it is easier and more staight-forward to use independently wired LEDs.Wink

Oh, and by the way Åke, despite our guard-hound OhMyGod we had a Wallaby (a similar but smaller marsupial than
a Kangaroo) come in from "next door" and take up residence in our very, very urban garden this spring.
We do not know how she/he got here or where he/she came from but she/he ate some of the new-leaf
growth of our roses, much to the chagrin of our gardener; we have named him/her (in new bureauspeak:
"them") "skippy" in favour of the early Australian 1960's TV series; Basil keeps a friendly eye out for
him/herLaugh .

With Kind Regards,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Both dogs are ok and Waldo has advanced a lot. He is completely another dog than last autumn! ThumpUp

Yes those led bulbs include resistors so they are type "plug and prey". I run my layout in analogue mode so I wasn't aware of those problems.

Hi Basil Smile nice to see you chilling. I hope that you get enough good treats.

Skippy the Bush Kangoroo was one of my favourite tv-series in the late 60's Love

Sissi and Waldo were enjoying summer at our summer cabin at lake Puula.
We are only residents on our small island so they can run free there.
Here Sissi is enjoying a boat cruise BigGrin

SP001a.png

Best regards from dark and rainy Finland
Åke

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2021 14:22:47(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
How about these leds?

600100 LED

Cheers

Åke

Hi Åke,BigGrin

Any current photos?Smile

him/herLaugh .

With Kind Regards,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Both dogs are ok and Waldo has advanced a lot. He is completely another dog than last autumn! ThumpUp

Yes those led bulbs include resistors so they are type "plug and prey". I run my layout in analogue mode so I wasn't aware of those problems.

Hi Basil Smile nice to see you chilling. I hope that you get enough good treats.

Skippy the Bush Kangoroo was one of my favourite tv-series in the late 60's Love

Sissi and Waldo were enjoying summer at our summer cabin at lake Puula.
We are only residents on our small island so they can run free there.
Here Sissi is enjoying a boat cruise BigGrin

SP001a.png

Best regards from dark and rainy Finland
Åke

Hello again Åke,

Glad to receive your reply. Good to see Sassi is wearing a buoyancy vest BigGrin

I see the seasons are changing up north.

Good to hear Sissi and Waldo are well .

Keep safe,

Regards,

Philip

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin