Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2021 09:53:31(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All...

I wish to repaint the tin plate roofs of my 24 cm long Rheinpfeil TEE coaches (München <--> Dortmund, #4085 - #4090) constructed in the early 70s to factory specifications. The roofs are fine in shape, but they do have a number of scuff marks due to the age. Does anyone know precisely how to do this work ?

I would also like to know how to tightly fix the tin plate roof to the body of the coach. The fitting is a bit loose and they tend to come out very easily.

What is the correct set-up of the Rheinpfeil consist ? Which car should come after which car ? Is it alright to add more cars or is there a limitation. I suppose we have to be careful with the curves.

Also, In order to light up all the coaches, what accessories do I need ?

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2021 12:25:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ranjit
Märklin tin plate coaches are constructed using 2 techniques
- Lithography on the car body and chassis
- spray paint in roofs

IMO redoing the roofs is very easy: clean, de-grease then paint with an air brush. The result will be like new
If you paint lithography, you will lose all the markings. So you need to take pictures of them.
Then, I would paint with an airbrush the background color.
Then I would apply dry transfers to make the markings unless you prefer the decals you design yourself on your PC
Finally, apply a clear satin varnish

Roof attachment: at each extremity of the roof there is a small rib catching into the intercar rubber imitation
Car illumination: classic by using the Märklin 7077 reference (easy to find here in Europe on ebay) like here https://www.ebay.de/itm/29434129...bac06:g:cUgAAOSwWURhG5op
Another angle is to use self adhesive LED stripes fixed on a plastic long rectangle, powered by +12 VDC using a rectifier bridge, capacitor, dimming resistor (1 kOhm or so).
Cheers
Jean
Offline Ranjit  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2021 12:52:27(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Jean...

The body of the passenger cars are in relatively good shape. There is hardly any rust anywhere and surprisingly, the livery is pretty much intact.

I am only concerned about the tin plate roofs. Again, there is no rust except for some scratches and scuff marks.

Is it silver or aluminium colour that you should use. How do you get that "sparkle" metallic look back ? Does anyone know how Märklin does it in their spray painting booths ?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2021 13:09:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Märklin delivered those cars in aluminum color (no weathering). I suggest to add a bit of grey paint to increase realism.
On other tin-plate cars, Märklin added a thin black coat on the roof's side to simulate usage. It is up to your taste.
Cheers
Jean
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2021 13:29:24(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I have used "chrome spray paint" Available in any automotive store. While it isn't exactly chrome, it is quite shiny. I have also found that after the paint is thoroughly dry it can be polished with a soft dry cloth with surprising results. I used this technique on Marklin roofs and a 1/48 scale B-29 and it looks amazing! Always try on a bit of scrap metal first.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Ranjit  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2021 15:26:48(UTC)
Ranjit

Great advice, Mikey and Jean !

Is it true that a darker base coat will make the aluminium / chrome / silver colour gleam far more than the lighter colours ? Do you also have to strip the existing paint completely to bare metal before respraying or can you simply prepare the existing surface with emery cloth lightly, and then spray the entire roof with the colour of your choice ? This way you will not be removing much of the original primer that was applied at the factory.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline analogmike  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2021 15:56:13(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I would just use a fine scotch brite pad just to scuff the old paint. Then wash with dish detergent.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2021 21:13:54(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ranjit
For an excellent work you have to remove the old paint using paint remover or Cellulose thinner(we use to use Trichlorethylène but forbidden now), then use a very thin abrasive grade 1000 or so to remove all rust or irregularities and then a thin paint layer on both sides of roof
IMO avoid using water to clean as it may start rust for later.
Cheers
Jean