Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2021 17:07:59(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guys, Wink

I saw on the net an HO set of OBB passengers cars from A.C.M.E.

The set is in DC wheels. I need to convert it to AC wheels. I don't know anything about it. I have seen several models of AC wheels. Which one should I choose? And above all, how to proceed to the change? Also, I need to change the coupling system. It is different from Marklin. I'm very hesitant to make the purchase.... unless I find help here.

Thank you for your replies.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2021 18:51:34(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
To me, it seems that you are in need of help to help yourself...
Couplers are probably click-on types. Märklins might not work because of buffers. -But some other brand will work. Then you can fit just one of the waggons with a Roco Universal Kupplung, or even better; change a coupler on the loco.
Wheels might just need to be pressed together to a 13.8mm distance. In any case the instruction leaflet of the waggon will probably state the reference number of a suitable wheel substitute.
In any case, all of these small details are best learned BY DOING!
So grow a pair, and fiddle around with it yourself. Sorry if it sounds offensive, but I think it would really be worth the effort to learn these basic model railroading skills.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2021 19:25:10(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
To me, it seems that you are in need of help to help yourself...
Couplers are probably click-on types. Märklins might not work because of buffers. -But some other brand will work. Then you can fit just one of the waggons with a Roco Universal Kupplung, or even better; change a coupler on the loco.
Wheels might just need to be pressed together to a 13.8mm distance. In any case the instruction leaflet of the waggon will probably state the reference number of a suitable wheel substitute.
In any case, all of these small details are best learned BY DOING!
So grow a pair, and fiddle around with it yourself. Sorry if it sounds offensive, but I think it would really be worth the effort to learn these basic model railroading skills.

Maybe...maybe...it's a matter of time. If you have the time to do it, good for you.

I don't have time to do such little things...I haven't finished the structure of my layout and I haven't finished the exterior work yet. I have a 25,000+ square foot property that keeps me busy from March to late October/early November. I'd rather sit on my tractor outside than handle small stuff and risk breaking the item. It's not my cup of tea and and the train is only 4-5 months a year.

Anyway, I have solved the problem: from now on I will only buy marklin and any other product from another brand will already be converted into 3 rails as Roco does for example

Thank you for yoyr reply

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2021 02:31:54(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
DC wheels will run on AC track with no polarity issue. The reverse is not true; AC wheels will not work on DC track as a short circuit will occur.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2021 08:53:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
DC wheels will run on AC track with no polarity issue.
Yes, no polarity issues. Derailments may occur as wheel dimensions and wheel spacing can be different.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ktsolias  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2021 13:43:29(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The other problem with DC wheels on 3 rail digital is that the S88 contacts are not working.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
H0
Online rhfil  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2021 14:46:39(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
If you will run the cars by themselves all you need change is one coupling - the one that will couple with the engine. Changing that will depend on whether the cars have a standard NEM pocket. If so it is easy to remove the coupling and inserting one that matches your other cars. I often change couplers on lit cars. A small flat bladed screwdriver blade inserted between the coupling and the NEM pocket starts the removal and then the old coupling can be pulled out easily.
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2021 19:57:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys, Wink

I saw on the net an HO set of OBB passengers cars from A.C.M.E.

The set is in DC wheels. I need to convert it to AC wheels. I don't know anything about it. I have seen several models of AC wheels. Which one should I choose? And above all, how to proceed to the change? Also, I need to change the coupling system. It is different from Marklin. I'm very hesitant to make the purchase.... unless I find help here.

Thank you for your replies.

Thewolf

Too late as you already decided, but genrally I would look up the product page from the manufacturer for the wagon, this case the A.C.M.E website. For that set of cars, they may well list a specific part # for ~AC wheels to use. I did so for at least two brands of non-Marklin wagons. If course if the car is old and the manufacturer has no recommendation its difficult. There are dimensions on the axel lengths that can be guiding.

Replacing wheels is generally easy - you can pop them out as they are held in by sharp tips into a metal bowl inside the bogey. Carefully lever one side out with a flat tool like a small screwdriver or spudger.

The benefit of getting the proper ~AC wheels are:
1) S88 detection will sense the car
2) secure running with proper wheel spacing (but even AC wheels can be 'out of proper specification' - so its is a good idea to have a wheel spacing gauge and wheel spacing adjusting tool in the toolkit)
3) The taller flange on the ~AC wheels can result in smoother running through the gaps at turnouts and crossings where the C-track has a plate in the cut that the flange can roll over (
)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline HO Collector  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2021 22:51:56(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
DC wheels will run on AC track with no polarity issue. The reverse is not true; AC wheels will not work on DC track as a short circuit will occur.

As Mr. Ron said above, but if you want to keep the wheels all you have to do is to solder a wire between the wheels and you got AC wheels.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 04 November 2021 23:12:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post

As Mr. Ron said above, but if you want to keep the wheels all you have to do is to solder a wire between the wheels and you got AC wheels.
Except for the different dimensions of flanges and wheel spacing which often causes derailments. More has to be done to get reliable operation on Märklin tracks.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage