Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarcelV  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2021 02:46:24(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
I just received my CS3 this weekend and connected an external keyboard and mouse through the USB ports. All is responsive and working. I updated the software to latest version, updated my MS2’s to latest version, can use iPad through the build in web server, and have no problems at all so far. Even got a shuttle service using the L88 and 2 contact tracks working. Simple exercise but it helped me to understand how Maerklin integrated the concept of triggers and functions. Very happy so far and ready to dive into more complex events and use cases. There is however one slightly annoying issue I have. While the keyboard on the CS3 shows to be in a QWERTY layout, the connected keyboard is interpreted as a German layout keyboard, so it is with the QWERTZ layout. The Y and the Z are switched. So, when I type the word playground by example, it thinks I type plazground. I tried to find a setting to tell the CS3 to use QWERTY but I can not locate it. Anyone noticed this as well and how did you resolve? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by user 25 October 2021 21:07:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MarcelV
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2021 16:19:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Marcel
Sadly I have the same problem with a French Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The keyboard reads AZERTY but when I press the keys I get a QWERTZ (German configuration?).
I just asked Märklin service and also the Stummi forum (one of the largest German forums).
I tried changing the CS3 language and a cold start while the keyboard is connected but to no avail.

To be honest, I use my CS3 since last Christmas (my presentLaugh ) and have entered quite a number of symbols, track pieces, etc and the absence of a keyboard is not posing any problem. The external mouse is more helping, I think.
I will keep you posted if I get some answers.

Normally, when I connect the Bluetooth dongle to my PC, there is a data exchange telling the PC what type of peripheral is connected and it seems (not sure) that the Märklin CS3 does not interpret this info.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2021 16:42:59(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
keyboards are generic, the software has to know what keyboard layout the user is expecting. Sounds like Märklin assumed all users would expect German layout. They should be using their internal keyboard layout to switch the external keyboard too.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2021 18:18:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Which is the internal keyboard of the CS3 software? Using English in the set-up, some words are still in German when doing certain things.
Offline MarcelV  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2021 20:26:31(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Which is the internal keyboard of the CS3 software? Using English in the set-up, some words are still in German when doing certain things.

Missing translation strings is different then a keyboard layout in that it is set within the Linux environment that the CS3 is built upon, not in the application. Language selection will get you closer but it isn’t one for one. There should be a keyboard layout option so you can set it to US or FR or DE or any other country where keyboard layouts differ from QWERTZ which is the German default.

But it really isn’t a huge issue. In fact, I came already to the same conclusion as Jean describes in that a mouse is very useful, but the external keyboard not so much.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MarcelV