Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2021 01:22:17(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have an L88 and a few 60881 connected to Bus 1 and Bus 2 of the L88. No issues. I have an older 60880 laying around and decided to connect this to Bus 3 of the L88. I am sure that I have coded my first reed switch to the 60880 correctly but I am receiving the following error message when I attempt to activate any on the memory tab (whether from Bus 1, 2 or 3)

"The initial read in of the S88 contacts is still not ended. Please wait until the process is ended."

In the CS2 screen , under info, I have 1 entered Bus 3 - 6 pin. The 60880 is connected by a 6 foot cable provided with the 60880.
I rebooted but same message.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2021 20:20:10(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Just an update on my problem

I am trying to figure out which device is not working. The trains run, the Keyboard items respond to my manually operating them, but the sensors connected to the L88 and S88s do not activate the signals and switches. Similarly, when I click on an item in Memory, nothing happens. My layout has been in operation for years and the only thing I changed was to try to add an 60880 to Bus 3. I removed that and changed the voltage back to 12V.

So, the question(s) are how do I identify the 'broken' item. Seems it could be the L88. Should I first remove from the CS2 and reconnect, maybe first detach all S88s on Bus1 and Bus2. Once I get working, I assume not to use the 60880. Other ideas

Thanks
Harvey

Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2021 14:12:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey

This is exactly what I get on my Link88 (60883) when I connect a home made cable between bus #3 and my DSD2010 turntable decoder. The cable has probably an issue. Ideally check with an oscilloscope the 3 signals: Clock, Data, Reset and of course that the 5 VDC feed is not tripped.

There is a supervision of the buses (3 of them) coming out of the Link88 and if there is an issue, it will notify the CS (CS3 60226 in my case) and block all reporting of sensors. As soon as I remove the cable, all goes back to normal.
It is probably a similar issue in your case.
Note: In my case, I don't need the DSD2010 feedback (its provides 64 bits) as a direct RS232 link with my PC does the reporting of the turntable to Rocrail.
Are you using a Märklin cable? Is it not damaged?
Here is the pin assignment I found on Tams website
S88 Pin assignment.png

Of course you have checked that the flat cable was connected to the ENTRY side of the 6088 (M88)
Here check the Märklin 6088 manual https://static.maerklin....78ef5e7e041434542656.pdf

I hope this helps
Cheers

Jean

Edited by user 30 October 2021 18:31:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2021 03:54:25(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Just an update and essentially a happy conclusion (mostly). I had written to Marklin asking for assistance - to explain what the message meant. Unfortunately they had not responded (which is understandable given likely staffing issues and end of season rushes). So, in thinking about this problem, but not having the knowledge or tools to research I thought this could be due to a hardware (L88, CS2, wires) or software (something in the coding got corrupted when I tried to attach Bus 3). As the CS2 worked and all my signals and switching tracks worked I thought it may be the L88. I did buy a new one but the problem (error message) continued to appear even though I deleted the original L88 from the CS2. So, I felt the issue was software. I had a backup of the CS2 and decided to reload. I am using the original L88 as all my CS2 memory instructions refer to that.

The error message did not reappear. Now, I just have to update the CS2 for some changes I had made to the passenger line sensors (I had added a few). Fortunately this is mostly written down. So, I spent a few extra dollars on a new L88 (oh well) but I solved the issue. BigGrin

If anyone would like the new L88, we can chat about cost and mailing.

Regards
Harvey