Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Aleks  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2021 22:21:42(UTC)
Aleks

Latvia   
Hi all!
I have BR81 (Marklin 36321) with KN160725A controller inside. During an internet search, it is found, that this decoder has 4 functions and I would like to use one of them to install Telex instead of one of the couplings. But after numerous attempts, I can not activate them. I soldered wires to empty common and in the place of hypothetical function 2 (on the left side of the board). I am trying to activate it with MS2, but without visible success. My tester does not show voltage.
Could you tell me, what am I doing wrong, and how it is possible to activate outputs?

Inside of BR-81.jpg

Best regards,
Aleks.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2021 23:17:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Aleks
This simplified Märklin decoder has the following cabling
Marklin decoder wiring.png
So you may connect the Telex coupling to one of the free AUX amplified output and the other side to the Orange common +
So now how to drive it?
With a CS2 or CS3 you may map one function to one AUX output (see the CS2/CS3 manual) or ask and I can help you.
With other digital units (MS2, ECOS, etc) I don't know

Mapping is about creating links between physical functions of the decoder (F0...F32) and sounds (Sound#1, #2,..) or/and outputs (AUX1, AUX2, AUX3, AUX4, Front Light, Rear light)
Without a proper mapping, activating a physical function (F0,... F32) will do nothing
Here is the mapping screen on my CS3 for an MFX decoder
cs3_Funktionsmapping.png
Mapping is also about specifying the type of load (smoker, mars light, Telex), type of command (timed-out fixed, momentary, etc. This is key to protect the Telex and the decoder about forgetting the Telex ON. Both will burn after a while (10 seconds)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2021 19:11:26(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
This is a nice loco, but the decoder is too Basic. You may want to use a more modern one, you will have better motor control and also effects like the coupler waltz. Here a couple of BR81 with ESU decoders.
Regards

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Aleks  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2021 20:59:14(UTC)
Aleks

Latvia   
Hi, guys,
Thanks a lot for your participation.
Yes, I know that it is possible to replace the decoder, and I have the appropriate TAMS decoder. But this is plan B.
This decoder has 4 functions, and it would be nice to activate at least one from them, or two, for two Telexes.
I just connect LED (tested working condition) to Output 2 and for common +. Also, I activated all possible functions on MS2. But, to my regret, the function is not working.
I did the same for 60760 decoder (F3), and it was working well.
Is it possible that the decoder is "deactivated" before installation? Maybe I have to program it through CV?
Any suggestion for further steps?
3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2021 21:22:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Aleks Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I have to program it through CV?

Yes, that's an option for decoders that support DCC.
mfx decoders have an extra level of indirection, the function mapping. Just creating a symbol on the MS2 is enough for simple MM decoders, but not for mfx decoders.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Aleks  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2021 22:59:13(UTC)
Aleks

Latvia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Aleks Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I have to program it through CV?

Yes, that's an option for decoders that support DCC.
mfx decoders have an extra level of indirection, the function mapping. Just creating a symbol on the MS2 is enough for simple MM decoders, but not for mfx decoders.

Yes, I supposed the same.
Maybe someone knows, where is it possible to find a CV table for the KN160725A board?