Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2021 12:19:16(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi all,

Not sure how many of you are familiar/user reddit but they have an excellent subreddit called train crash series.

Every now and then they release a very detailed report about a train crash and more often than not its actually German.
This one involved a BR01.10 and a bus at a level crossing.

The details are of course very tragic but it is interesting to read about what happened and how things were done back then (in this case 1959)
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrainCrashSeries/

The full article is found over at medium here:

https://mx-schroeder.med...g-collision-222f0be4bb9f

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2021 15:48:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Some of these wrecks especially with fatalities doesn't make me embrace rail travel much.
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2021 23:50:59(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Some of these wrecks especially with fatalities doesn't make me embrace rail travel much.

That's really odd, because it should make you hesitate about bus travel, and remind you of the importance of checking in both directions on a level crossing regardless of barrier arms or signals!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2021 00:21:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes MVD71, I don't travel by bus! It's way worse. Here, without a car, you're basically effed! Bus schedules have been scaled back due to drivers who reitired or quit. Uber and Lyft cars are around, but I don't trust them.
Offline Mman  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2021 12:48:45(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
For some interesting investigations into railway incidents in the UK try raib.gov.uk.
I was involved with British railways for 44 years dealing with, amongst other things, level crossings.
Can’t recall a single incident where equipment failure caused collisions between trains and road vehicles, most are caused by the stupidity of drivers of road vehicles, not obeying the rules and a very small number negligence of railway staff. In the case of a disastrous collision at Hixon in the 1960s it was actually the fault of the police!
Where I used to work there were several automatic crossings where the road was on a gradient, the railway on a curve and drivers young and old would frequently stop in the middle of the crossings to look each way. Risking stalling was a real possibility, if the barriers are up and none of the lights are showing it is safe to cross, but quickly. Modern automatic crossings give 27 seconds warning, older ones 37 seconds. The circuitry has ‘belt and braces’ to ensure it works as designed and is safe if one obeys the road traffic rules. Sadly people don’t always.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2021 21:14:18(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Wow! That is mind boggling!! Why on earth would you stop half way to check for trains? Better to just keep going at that point