Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tinroofrusted  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2021 03:45:46(UTC)
tinroofrusted

Korea, Republic Of   
Hey, all,

This is Thomas. I am relatively new to the HO world. My brother gave me some of his old DC track and DCC trains. I have all the train stuff sorted out. My layout is small as I live in Korea and, well, space is limited. I have started building the wooden houses from Campbell, Bar Mills, and Blair Line and this has become my new "thing". At first, I was a bit timid with the wiring as I am new at the game, so I bought the JUST PLUG by Woodland Scenic. However, I have become a bit more adventurous and have been adding some of my own led lights with appropriate resistors. As time goes by, I will be slowly replacing the Woodland Scenic stuff as DIY is much cheaper and is not that difficult. However, for the time being, I wish to keep the JUST PLUG stuff. Each port can handle up to three led lights in that system. Some of my buildings have two or three lights. That includes one Woodland Scenic pre-made LED. Can I splice my lights into that line as I do not have the appropriate WS jack plugs for their modules or do I have to wire my lights separately into another port? Again, I will never have more than three lights on anyone jack. I hope my question is clear and thanks in advance for any feedback,
T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tinroofrusted
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2021 13:19:45(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I also ask tis? I have not tried yet. In theory, it should work. The port sharing device they sell is so small, it must only be a series connection box with plug in ports.
Offline tinroofrusted  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2021 15:16:46(UTC)
tinroofrusted

Korea, Republic Of   
Marklinist,

Let's figure this out together, then. In theory, the green port sharing device is nothing more than a four-way"splitter" using a 1.25 JST (Japanese solderless terminal I think?!) connector.... the white female thing that everything plugs into on all of their portals. You have to be careful getting new JST micro connectors on eBay as WS style has an arrow as its pressure lock on the top of the male and that is not what I have been seeing on eBay..so far. However, to get back to our point, The red light hub can handle up to 16 lights ( four green port sharing devices plugged into each of the red light hubs connectors) I believe according to WS. Their LEDs are just LED at the correct 3v on a wire and with a connector. I have also seen where WS says to only use three street lamps in a single red light hub port ( i feel that may have to do with the toggle connector they use) With all of that said, I feel that you could probably wire at least three lights to a single wire as long as the wire is thick enough. That is going to be my guess and with that said, I will sacrifice a light in the next day or two to see if my homegrown resistor+lights cause any damage. I will update in a day or two if all is well or four or five after I quit being angry at myself for blowing my hubs.
Offline tinroofrusted  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2021 15:44:04(UTC)
tinroofrusted

Korea, Republic Of   
As an added side note, I have read several places that WS uses 1.25mm micro JST connectors. However, I have not been able to sus the exact style out on eBay. After measuring, I believe they are 2.54 JTS-XH micro connectors. I live in Korea and we have electronic parts stores everywhere. When I have time, I will check it out. It would be nice to actually figure the right size as there is different information all over the web. When I find it, so will you. T
Online marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2021 16:07:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, that is the case. As the light hubs have no internal resistance, nor do the port sharing devices, if using other brand led',s resistors need be added. For some, I cut off the plug ends as I ran out of extension cables or kits. I spliced in 22 gague awg wire with shrink tubing to lengthen the wiring between the ports and lights. Just be sure not to cut off the built in resistors on the Scenic brand led's.