Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2021 16:13:44(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
As soon as the 88146 appeared on the website of the British Märklin dealer I put in an order (22 Sept) only to receive an email today saying they have not been allocated any and M’s site says ‘production sold out’.
I was aware of this new Kittel railbus before it was put on the British dealer’s website so presumably other dealers put their orders in earlier. This dealer says they put items on once the factory gives them details ( and I can’t order until they have those details) so it looks like M doesn’t bother too much about us in this country.
I know that a lot of enthusiasts order direct from German dealers but with the vagaries of post, taxes etc that is something I wanted to avoid. I try to keep some of my money spent in this country.
It will probably appear on ebay at twice the price as happened with the original Kittel a few years ago. We’ve all heard of ticket touts and now Märklin touts.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Zme
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2021 16:35:55(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I placed an order for this also and my usual dealer told me the same thing. Sold out at the factory. Is production really that low or will more be produced as the year goes on? Who knows. I asked my dealer to keep the order in just in the event this is the way it goes. Perhaps it will be possible to get one later, but I know sellers on EBay will charge plenty. So much for having a Kittel.

My order for the 88168 railbus set was canceled also as production was moved back to 2022.

Things are far from normal that is certain. I don’t know if Marklin touts but why announce new releases and produce only a few. The new Kittel is just a new paint scheme, seems easy enough to produce. Perhaps Marklin is gauging interest to avoid over production.

Disappointment looms for many of us, that is the only thing we know clearly. I am sure there are many more like us out there across all their items.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Hatoil  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2021 19:52:26(UTC)
Hatoil

Sweden   
Didn't the first Kittel appear in batches? At first it seemed impossible to get and was sold for double the price on eBay. Then a year or two later the local dealers in my country all of a sudden had some in stock. It may be worth waiting.

But I agree it's a very bad experience not even being able to order one right after it's released.

It's so cute!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hatoil
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2021 21:13:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Yes I believe you are right about the first Kittel. Perhaps this will sell in waves and we should expect releases later.

Thanks I will remain hopeful.

Dwight
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2021 00:16:59(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
From a dealer standpoint (USA) ... I placed my order with Marklin USA 7 days after the initial announcement. They were already sold out.

This has nothing to do with being shut out in UK - they likely didn't produce many of these and dealers (myself included) should have ordered within minutes of the announcement in order to secure some. Lesson learned.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Zme
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2021 19:28:32(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Lesson learned.

Practices to push the small dealer away.

In the end only big online players..

Seen it happening here in EU with the small photo-dealers.

Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2021 20:06:25(UTC)
Webmaster

It's quite common that the first batch of new item locos sell out (also in H0) and you have to wait for a main batch where the standing orders are guiding the estimated total production...
This unfortunately give some ebayers an opportunity to try their luck too..
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Bahner  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2021 04:39:50(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
I also received a notification about a week after I placed a preorder that this two-tone Kittel wasn't available. First time I've had a preorder not come through.

Not sure exactly when the Kittels were produced in China, but I wonder if their energy outage woes might have caused a more limited supply than Marklin anticipated.

Chinese Power Cuts

Ralph.
Offline Hatoil  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2021 09:54:30(UTC)
Hatoil

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post
Not sure exactly when the Kittels were produced in China, but I wonder if their energy outage woes might have caused a more limited supply than Marklin anticipated.

Woot, they don't prioritize the production of electric vehicles? That's absurd! LOL

Joens
Offline rmsailor  
#10 Posted : 08 October 2021 10:07:09(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post
I also received a notification about a week after I placed a preorder that this two-tone Kittel wasn't available. First time I've had a preorder not come through.

Chinese Power Cuts

Ralph.

The British company Dapol has issued a warning that factories they use in South China are being forced to work a three day week as a result of the power cuts inposed by the Chinese government. It can be assumed that this will affect all companies that use these factories.

Bob M.
Offline rmsailor  
#11 Posted : 08 October 2021 17:21:42(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Back in April I plced an order with Gaugemaster for replacement wheels. Today I received a partial delivery.

Bob M.
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 08 October 2021 23:33:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post

Back in April I plced an order with Gaugemaster for replacement wheels. Today I received a partial delivery.

Bob M.

Bob it is pointless buying in the UK. Marklin only supply Gaugemaster and they dont hold stocks and I stopped on order after a few months when it became clear they hardily ever bought from Marklin. I have more coaches etc on my layout than they have in stock. Also the prices are way too high. Shame really as the service for what they do sell is good.

Dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 09 October 2021 01:43:29(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sorry to hear of your problems with the Z Scale train addiction. About the time I think I have it bad . . .

I always wrongly assumed the problems were high import fees and high postal charges. It is clear the problems are much more serious.

Like me, I know this is also exacerbated by the fact we are outside the EU. I quickly lost a reliable vendor when postal fees made shipping impossible. This high fee went to unable to ship to my country and then the Pandemic. Things have never been worse. Now our postal system promises higher costs and slower service.

Is it possible to get someone in the EU to purchase and ship what you might need or want? If there is someone reliable. You likely would still have high postal fees and import fees (I could not suggest a way to avoid this), but at least you might get your items in a reasonable time. I know this might seem a naïve comment, but perhaps this would be a solution. I don’t think all EU countries charge for mailing the same as Germany or France do. I have had very good experiences dealing with a seller in Italy.

Sorry if i have oversimplified this, just trying to help.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#14 Posted : 09 October 2021 13:41:52(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Bob it is pointless buying in the UK. Marklin only supply Gaugemaster and they dont hold stocks and I stopped on order after a few months when it became clear they hardily ever bought from Marklin.

I know a lot of people are very dissatisfied with Gaugemaster, but my experience has been consistently positive. I've rarely found their stock to be lacking, and on the odd occasion it has been, items from Marklin, Kibri and Noch have only taken two or three weeks to arrive. That was pre-brexit mind, so I can imagine the situation has changed somewhat since then.

These days I avoid buying locomotives from German suppliers. I feel the likelihood of it having a problem is so high that I prefer to buy from an 100% legitimate seller whose after-sales service is good and for whom Marklin will undertake warranty repairs.

I currently have a 88136 on order with them which, I reckon, will be available within the next two or three weeks. I'll also be ordering an 88804 when that looks imminent. Marklin's website says this month for that and I'm hoping this model won't be as delayed as most!

We don't have anything to compare to the stores in Germany, though. The shop I visited in Frankfurt last year had extensive stock and a good selection of second hand items.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Mman  
#15 Posted : 23 November 2021 13:16:23(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
9E570074-9FF1-4CE8-AA96-26C6B6DD460B.jpeg1EEFD1AF-4B84-48E5-93DC-CE8DCB41F298.jpegAEC8CE60-042F-453A-BEEF-94E2C69AB2E0.jpegAfter the Ludmilla arrived on Friday 19th yesterday the postie brought my BR218 AW Cotbus 88807 from my friendly local(ish) dealer at Ford.
Only had an opportunity to check that it works and weigh it (26.24 grammes), full testing of both locos will have to wait until later this week when I have the house to myself - a serious business with no interruptions needed.
ChrisG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 23 November 2021 21:40:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
After the Ludmilla arrived on Friday 19th yesterday the postie brought my BR218 AW Cotbus 88807 from my friendly local(ish) dealer at Ford.
Only had an opportunity to check that it works and weigh it (26.24 grammes), full testing of both locos will have to wait until later this week when I have the house to myself - a serious business with no interruptions needed.
ChrisG

A very handsome loco, if I didn't already have so many BR218s I'd be tempted myself! Thanks for taking the trouble to weigh it - that seems to be on a par with other recent 218s, such as 88780, though I am embarrassed at the relative imprecision with which I have weighed my own collection!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton