Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fossie  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2021 19:30:46(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Dear All

I have a Marklin br81 steam locomotive.... which I upgraded 6months ago from delta to full digital eg 5 pole motor and new decoder etc. The locomotive has been running fine up until today, then it stopped. Now when I turn the wheels manually they will not do a full revolution before get stuck. this happens both forwards and backwards. I have removed the motor assembly but the issue still occurs. Do you think that the gear assembly is damaged if so how can they be repaired. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Andy
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2021 21:15:23(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Andy, my initial pick would be that the Loco has possibly picked up the tiniest piece of grit from the track and is now stuck in one of the teeth of the gears. It may be very hard to see.

The other possibility if it has any plastic gears in the gear-train is that a tooth has become damaged, this will be a bigger job that may require replacing that gear.

Also check the side-rods etc for any interference.

Always start with removing the armature brushes, this will make everything easier to turn.

If it's still not apparent then you may need to first remove the side rods etc, then the armature to check further.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiracer  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2021 08:04:56(UTC)
kiwiracer

New Zealand   
Hi Andy, sounds like a problem I encountered with one of my locos.

My trouble was caused by the drive wheels getting out of quarter. ie the right hand main driving wheels was not at 90 degrees rotation to the left hand driving wheels causing the wheels to exhibit a behavior similar to your problem.

My problem was as a result of one driving wheel having slipped (rotated) a few degrees on the axle. Fortunately I was able to reset the quartering by correcting the error, all good now.

There are probably many more knowledgeable people on this forum who can explain how to go about checking and fixing the problem if the quartering is the problem.

Cheers Brett
Don't dodge difficulties, meet and defeat them. (Anon)
Anyone can eat an elephant, one bite at a time (Anon)
Offline fossie  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2021 12:45:44(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Dear All

Thanks for your help so far...
I have taken all the connecting rods of the locomotive and removed the motor. The problem still persist.. How can I rotate one of the wheels on the axle to reset the quartering as they are fixed firmly... can the wheels be removed to fix the problem?.

Regards

Andy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 03 October 2021 13:25:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fossie Go to Quoted Post
Dear All

Thanks for your help so far...
I have taken all the connecting rods of the locomotive and removed the motor. The problem still persist.. How can I rotate one of the wheels on the axle to reset the quartering as they are fixed firmly... can the wheels be removed to fix the problem?.

Regards

Andy

If you have taken the connecting rods off and the removed the armature and the wheels still won't rotate a full turn, then the problem is a bit of grit in one of the gears. Best way is to use a magnifier to look at the gears and a pin to scrape out each tooth. It needs only a tiny bit of grit to jam them up.

Offline kiwiracer  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2021 22:43:20(UTC)
kiwiracer

New Zealand   
I would agree with KiwiAlan that if you have taken all the connecting rods off that quartering is not your problem.

Cheers Brett
Don't dodge difficulties, meet and defeat them. (Anon)
Anyone can eat an elephant, one bite at a time (Anon)