Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2021 21:30:40(UTC)
Webmaster

Hi all,

I have got permission to publish the Youtube link for upcoming webinars from the US Märklin Digital Club.

This week's webinar:

Topic: How to connect to a CS3/CS3+ wirelessly
When: Wednesday, August 11th
Time: 11:00 AM Pacific / 12:00 noon Mountain / 1:00 PM Central / 2:00 PM Eastern
Where: YouTube (see link below, these have not changed from previous webinars)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/...UCH3xwtG73nOF6t_U6uXofiQ

I got this nice reply from Stacy at Marklin US:

Hello Juhan,

Thank you so much for your email. And, it’s a pleasure to “meet” the Webmaster of the marklin-users forum.

Yes, please! Feel free to published the YouTube link of the monthly Webinar. The more the merrier!! We need each help keep the hobby going.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Stacy

Märklin, Inc.
1406 Creek Trail Drive, Suite 100
Jefferson City, MO 65109
P: 573-635-1093
Toll Free: 800-321-8811
Fax: 573-564-4708
Märklin, Inc. is the North American subsidiary of Gebr. Marklin & Cie. GmbH

Edited by user 23 September 2021 19:46:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2021 05:05:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks Juan! She sent out the webinar e mail shortly after.
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2021 08:11:04(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
The latest webinar from Marklin USA by Rick & Curtis has been released on YouTube. I submitted a question regarding Marklin's new TT and been able to use it with an ESU ECoS. The specifications of the new TT is that the TT will run under both mfx and DCC protocol, however, upon receiving the TT, I found that it won't run easily under DCC. So my question to Rick & Curtis, was how do I get the TT to run using an ECoS. The reply is around 55 minutes into the webinar and after about 10 minutes of stumbling around, Rick could not explain how to do it - his excuse was that it is a Marklin TT and it works using a CS2 or CS3 and it's up to ESU to provide the software update to get the TT to run on their ECoS.

Obviously, the rift between Marklin and ESU is still alive and well i.e. there's no cooperation between the 2 companies and this means that, us the consumer suffers. BTW Rick's offsider Curtis said very little about the TT and after Rick had finished his "Explanation" , Curtis was about as informed as the rest of us. I guess my $1,000 TT will now just sit on the layout. I'm extremely disappointed with Marklin for expressing that the TT would support DCC protocol. BTW the TT is extremely flimsy - the little inserts that go under the outlets easily fall out and they don't recommend to glue them in. If they fall out the TT loses its setup and will stop at the wrong place. The handrail along the bridge is as delicate as can be and can easily break.

To sum up - don't buy this TT as it's way overpriced and it's basically a TOY.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2021 08:36:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I'm extremely disappointed with Marklin for expressing that the TT would support DCC protocol.
According to the manual, DCC is supported, but is disabled ex works. What a frigging stupid default setting. To use DCC, the TT must first be re-programmed with a CS2 or CS3.
Rick and Curtis know little about older Märklin decoders and the digital world outside Märklin, so I'm not surprised that they do not present a solution.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2021 11:07:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
To be fair, they are not paid to provide solutions for ESU or other manufacturer's products stupid default settings notwithstanding.

They can't be expected to know how other manufacturer's devices work with Marklin products. There hasn't been a relationship between Marklin and ESU for over 13 years, why are you surprised?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2021 11:19:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
They can't be expected to know how other manufacturer's devices work with Marklin products.
But they could know how to activate DCC in Märklin products.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2021 11:58:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's what I was thinking Bigdaddy! Marklin supports the webinar. Curtis is an educated software guy. Rick works for Marklin. Old decoders, new, etc. The basics haven't really changed much. RFID is newer. MFX is similar, just not wireless. If you understand how silicon chips store data, a mosfet circuit works, multiplexing, capacitance, resistance, rectification, you get the hardware basics. If you understand the binary bit of 0 or1, you get the software basics. Curtis knows how to write code.
An electronic power supply can fail if one or two capacitors fry, or become deficient.
A toy should be durable enough to take a threshold of a child's clumsiness.😉 A model for adults may be more delicate.
I hope that Marklin realizes that the new TT has a few flaws. It needs a more substantial base, possibly longer connection tracks for longer locos., and the dcc issue of the decoder. If enough sales are lost, but the potential for more can be realized with improvements, it could happen.
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2021 14:13:33(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
To be fair, they are not paid to provide solutions for ESU or other manufacturer's products stupid default settings notwithstanding.

They can't be expected to know how other manufacturer's devices work with Marklin products. There hasn't been a relationship between Marklin and ESU for over 13 years, why are you surprised?

I think you are missing the point regarding the relationship between Marklin and ESU. The 2 companies are at logger heads with each other and this doesn't help the industry or us the consumer. Instead of fighting each other they should be working together so that we the consumer can enjoy our hobby. An example is Viessmann supply products that intermix with other manufacturers products and both companies sell products to the consumer. If Viessmann sold only products that worked with Viessmann only products they would soon isolate themselves in the industry and soon be out of business. This is what I believe that Marklin is doing, making their products suitable for only Marklin.

In Australia, we don't have many places to see Marklin products, so we have to rely on the promotion advertising from Marklin and trust that they are fully truthful. In this case I believe that they haven't done this and if ESU don't upgrade their ECoS to accommodate the new TT, then I'm left with a $1,000 dud.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline rhfil  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2021 16:17:32(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Why not go to ESU to determine what the problem is? To expect someone who is not familiar with an item, the ESU ECoS in this case, why it does not work with another company's product is expecting way too much. These systems have become very complex and learning about all the capabilities is much to expect. If ESU will not help you then take it out on them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2021 19:30:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
As the cross networking of decoders, protocol's and controllers is more commomplace, they best bury the hatchet. Does ESU not claim it's ECOS is mfx compatible? Aside from the Roco Z21 cab driver, a CS3 can operate DCC products.
Offline owidgie  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2021 20:16:04(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
So my question to Rick & Curtis, was how do I get the TT to run using an ECoS. The reply is around 55 minutes into the webinar and after about 10 minutes of stumbling around, Rick could not explain how to do it - his excuse was that it is a Marklin TT and it works using a CS2 or CS3 and it's up to ESU to provide the software update to get the TT to run on their ECoS.

Did you even pay attention to the webinar? Rick says that "he had the opportunity to install the TT into an eCOS" and it worked fine with all of the functions. Granted it was in MM and not DCC but at that point what does it matter? If you (Drongo) want the graphic/indexing diagrams as in the CS3 to run the turntable, the talk to ESU about development for an update, don't blame Marklin for ESU's shortcomings. If you ask me, there is no "excuse" for ESU to not have a TT update for the eCOS already. This TT has been publicly known for what 2+years now?

I doubt that Marklin lets Curtis and Rick use ESU products and I wouldn't expect ESU to send them an eCOS to test items with so they are in a little bit of a hole there not knowing how to work the TT A to Z with an eCOS. They also mention that you CAN glue in the sensor pieces but use some kind of glue that is removable - just in case.

Marklin is certainly making items for Marklin users. Why would Jaguar make parts for Nissan??? It is the consumer that chooses what item to buy from which manufacturer and the consumers responsibility to learn that product and how to use it in their system.

Curtis and Rick have mentioned before that they get these products when everyone else does and that they don't get any training from Marklin on them. They have to discover the in's and out's as we would. So it seems to me that it would be very difficult to simulate every scenario that we have on our own layouts while not having the equipment from other manufacturers.

Basically "don't shoot the messenger" and learn your system.

Sorry if all this sounds hostile, it is honestly not meant to be, apologies.

Rick (a different one than mentioned above)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 23 September 2021 21:04:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Rick, you are close to that Rick though. Same county, same area code as Marklin repair.com.