Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2021 18:27:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

I've been pining for the Roco AE 8/14 in the new tooling, number 79814. The problem for me is the price, which I just can't justify. However, Lippe has the DC version without sound on sale, and at a price I would be happy to pay.

The question would then become AC conversion. Based on the parts manual, it seems very minimal:

https://www.roco.cc/doc/et/1/de/8071813930.pdf

Can someone sanity check the fact all I need is a pickup shoe and a screw or two, assuming I don't feel the need to convert the wheelsets? (plus some presumed soldering)

Thoughts? I'm keen to purchase if this turns out simple enough to do!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2021 19:09:23(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo 5 Horizons RR,
Typically DC wheels will work fine in ~AC conversions when you run model on Märklin C-track or K-track. [ M-Track is a different story]
The main thing is to tie the contact wheels wipers for each side of locomotive together for continuity and mentioned particular SBB giant has plenty of them. In order to bring costs down Roco of Austria and others do that these days because the same frame designs are used for both AC and DC models.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2021 17:41:57(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
John, I have had trouble with DC wheelsets on ROCO locos.

See this post: marklin-users.net community | Forum » General topics » H0-scale » ROCO SBB Re6/6 problem

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline EMD_GP7  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2021 21:33:42(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi. The conversion from DC to AC is not as simple as just adding a pickup skate !
Looking at the parts sheet you will see that there are three versions of the Ae 8/14.
DC analogue, DCC sound and AC sound.
The loco(S) have DC motors so the DC analogue version is simple with direct connection to the motor etc.
The DCC sound version is also simple as the DCC system normally drives a DC motor.
The AC sound version has a decoder that can accept the Motorola signals of the Marklin AC system and converts them to
a DC signal for the motor.
So for a conversion from the DC version to an AC version you need decoder(s) that will accept the Motorola signals and convert them to
a suitable voltage for the motor(s).
They are around from manufacturers like Zimo or ESU in sound and non-sound and will possibly run on AC analogue as well as digital but I am not sure as I only run digital.
Hope this helps. Colin.
PS I have the DCC sound version so have all the documentation so if you need more info then please ask.
Offline mmervine  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2021 23:48:36(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Additionally, most DC/DCC loks from Roco do not have provisions to mount a pick up shoe. You may also need to replace the bogies. I would see if there are any pictures on-line that show the bottom of the loco.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline jcrtrains  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2021 00:13:18(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I would pay the premium vs futzing around with a conversion personally. It will be much better for resale than selling a ‘unicorn’.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2021 00:20:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post

So for a conversion from the DC version to an AC version you need decoder(s) that will accept the Motorola signals and convert them to
a suitable voltage for the motor(s).
They are around from manufacturers like Zimo or ESU in sound and non-sound and will possibly run on AC analogue as well as digital but I am not sure as I only run digital.

Suitable decoders are also available from (surprise) Marklin. BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline EMD_GP7  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2021 14:12:30(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post

Suitable decoders are also available from (surprise) Marklin. BigGrin

The Roco Ae8/14 has a DCC socket capable of simply fitting a 22 or 16 pin decoder.
If the Marklin decoder is pin compatible then it is a plug in job after the blanking plug is removed.
If not compatible then it is a major re-wiring job and ending up with a "Unicorn" !
In any case this is a double loco which requires two decoders so a decision must be made between the cost
of two Marklin decoders or other before the cost becomes more or similar to to the AC Digital sound version.

Colin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7