Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2021 21:20:36(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hello,
I have been following prices for some Marklin, Roco and Brawa models on Ebay. I can´t say they are rare but the price tells you all. For some models I got impress since I have them but I am not sure what is happening with the market.
As an example, here are acouple of models with prices out of your mind. The price is the result of several bids. I actually I have the below Roco, a BJ 12 in AC, no sound, plastic shell, small locomotive, beatifull yes but at that price? Are these model rare or very difficult to find?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154585304363

Another example is this Fleischmann:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165035886548

For Brawa ( i know these locomotives are expensive but are they exclusive?):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313651109134

For Marklin the model of the French 241-A in their different versions are been sold very high in the secondary market Specially Europe. Actually I got one month ago the black DR version for less than 600US$ trough a dealer in USA and I saw it in Europe for almost 900US$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324766339569

Regards

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2021 21:56:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Eduardo,

I have kept up to date with second-hand model train items both with dealers and eBay and some auctions.
Run-of-the mill items have not (in my opinion) changed much in 5 years.
But there will always be singular items that attract a higher price.

I have noticed a spike in collectible prices on some British auction sites in the last 12 months of around 20-30%.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2021 23:04:31(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have noticed that USA ebay items always cost more than European ones, in every field. Plus you have to consider that some sellers think they have the most, to them, rare object and price it accordingly. Outrageous!!!
You can still find good bargains though.
Marxo
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2021 01:58:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
People are free to list items for whatever price they feel like listing them. A model, is, however, only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it.
If a model is "overpriced" on eBay.com, it may be for several reasons, the primary one being that the value is overestimated. If an item has been on the site for a while and has not sold, it is likely because the seller has priced himself out of the market. Unless, that is, somebody really wants that model and is willing to pay for it.

The key is not what items are listed for, but what items have sold for.

I have found at lot of times that items might be listed on eBay.com might also be listed on eBay.co.uk or eBay.de.
Sometimes the listing on eBay.com will claim to be free of VAT at origin, but the price is still higher than the listed price on eBay's other site (with VAT).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline eduard71  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2021 04:34:03(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
People are free to list items for whatever price they feel like listing them. A model, is, however, only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it.
If a model is "overpriced" on eBay.com, it may be for several reasons, the primary one being that the value is overestimated. If an item has been on the site for a while and has not sold, it is likely because the seller has priced himself out of the market. Unless, that is, somebody really wants that model and is willing to pay for it.

The key is not what items are listed for, but what items have sold for.

I have found at lot of times that items might be listed on eBay.com might also be listed on eBay.co.uk or eBay.de.
Sometimes the listing on eBay.com will claim to be free of VAT at origin, but the price is still higher than the listed price on eBay's other site (with VAT).

Regards

Mike C

Hello Mike,
The point here is that these are not listed prices, they are closed actions after several bids. Actually many of them started with bids below 50€.
Are this special items? Would you pay 600 € for a plastic locomotive? Someone did...
Regards

Edited by user 07 September 2021 15:27:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2021 14:45:27(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am new to the hobby and have also noticed a significant increase in prices. It is the law of supply and demand. The pandemic has driven many more people into the hobby and restored the interest of those who had put it aside for a few years. Plus thanks to inflation the wealthy are even wealthier so they have more money with less to spend it on such as travel. So if you are bidding on something you want you have to factor that into the price. Lets face it, money is not worth what it was just a few years ago. I was fortunate to recently acquire a perfect Marklin 39241 for what I consider to be a very fair price.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline bgemski  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2021 17:35:39(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I have seen prices have risen across the board for a lot of second hand items. I picked up bass guitar a few years ago and that second hand market is literally NUTS with pricing. I have seen prices for used guitars over the price of new. Going into music stores near me there simply is very little stock. As in this hobby I see a tremendous "out of stock" listings on a lot of dealer web sites, as a result I guess this pushes the demand for items and pushes the prices as well.

I
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline dzug  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2021 19:17:13(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
I think certain second hand prices are going up and, other than the across the board increases in collectible prices from the pandemic, it is partly a response to the demand due to more limited quantities that the manufacturers are producing over the last few years (and fewer dealers ordering less 'showroom' stock as margins tighten). I have been watching ebay (US and Germany) for a couple fairly recently produced locos and cars I didn't pick up for whatever reason when they first came out and when they do show up they have sold for close to or above their original retail.

This is also happening in N scale which I also collect. For example Lemke/Hobbytrain just shipped a new run of their OBB Railjet sets and any extra dealer stock is almost sold out everywhere after only a couple weeks on the market. Within a few months these sets will be rare again. The Fleischmann N Taurus in Railjet colors is the preferred loco for many due to the better quality than the Hobbytrain version and it hasn't been produced in years and commands a huge premium when it comes up for sale. Even the Hobbytrain Railjet lok is is short supply as it was released 6 mos or so before the cars sets and people buying car sets are scrambling to find one now before they disappear (a quick check shows only one dealer with stock). There was a Minitrix MHI loco I somehow missed two years ago that came up on ebay.de a few months ago and it ended up selling for 150 euros OVER its original MSRP.

Of course there are some products that are not in demand that are easier to find. I think much older models have seen a decline in price/value at least in auction results as more up-to-date models with digital and sound are in higher demand.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dzug
Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2021 01:38:45(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Part of what we are seeing is also demand driven by the manufacturers. They have become masters at the art of producing just enough to meet the initial demand, and those who don’t purchase early on miss out and have to pay a premium for anything that is subsequently listed on eBay.

If we look back a few decades a model would appear in a catalogue and be there for a few years until demand dropped. Now they produce enough to meet the preorder requirements plus a few extra and that is it. Next year a different model. Stimulates demand from the end users, and encourages everyone to preorder to avoid missing out, and the manufacturer doesn’t finish up with unsold stock.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2021 15:10:01(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo fellow Dreileiter enthusiast,
As MikeC pointed out price is one thing demand is another. Can’t be more to the point then that.
All I can say that those models Eduard71 picked up as examples in original post are kind of “scarce”.
First- is Roco H0 KPEV P4 is very rare model and not released to often by Austrian Roco company. [ if not mistaken last time it was in Platinum Edition.
Second one is Fleischmann KPEV P6 also very rare indeed
Generally speaking Prussian K.P.E.V. H0 items usually generate more money ‘cause models are scarce and difficult to obtain - manufacturers do not release as many KPEV models in given year as they do in DB or DR or SBB liveries. Keep in mind that there are trends in model industry as well
That’s my 2 cents,
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn