Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shay  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2021 17:32:30(UTC)
Shay

United States   
After some careful consideration and discussion on the forums, I decided to purchase a central station for my future layout. I won an auction on eBay and purchased a CS2 for €390(I think I got a good deal?). However, the CS2 was by itself and did not include any cables or power supplies. What connector cables do I need for the track and power?

I am aware that Marklin makes an official switched mode power supply but it costs upwards of €70. Are there cheaper third party options? I live in the US so something that operates on 110 would be preferred

I also plan on purchasing an L88 feedback decoder. Does this also require its own power supply?

Thank you for a warm welcome to this forum! I appreciate all of your help in getting me this far
Offline owidgie  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2021 19:06:24(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Hi Shay, the best transformer for a CS2 is a 6001 or better, a 60055.

I have found that (often) a short on the track will shut down a CS2 using the "Switched Mode Power Supply. This is a hard reboot, meaning no data is saved and the CS2 restarts from the last saved point. This is because the switched mode power supply shuts down and not the CS2. That's why I recommend a standard transformer rather than a switched mode power supply.

An L88 will need a power supply.

I have the cable for a transformer that you would need. If you would like to PM me.

Rick
Online H0  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2021 20:01:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
This is because the switched mode power supply shuts down and not the CS2.
This should not happen and it never happened with my CS2 with power supply. Several users who experienced this had their power supplies replaced by Märklin under warranty.
I recommend switching-mode power supplies because they have a stabilized secondary voltage.
With a transformer the track voltage will vary with the load of the controller. A big disadvantage in my humble experience.

The CS3 can no longer be operated with AC.

Hi Shay, the best transformer for a CS2 is a 6001 or better, a 60055.
It should have at least 60 VA IMHO.
A 6001 with just 42 VA will switch off long before the CS2 reaches the limit if the controller is under load for a longer time. And then the CS2 gets a hard reboot without saving changes.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2021 00:30:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
This is because the switched mode power supply shuts down and not the CS2.

This should not happen

I would agree. if it is not a faulty power supply then the cs2 is configured for the wrong power supply which means the cs2 expects a high current supply but the supply cannot supply the expected amount of current.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2021 01:05:14(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The response are right about the switch mode power supply versus the old transformers in terms of how they should operate.

My experience has been that I have thrown two switch mode power supplies in the rubbish due to faults that meant the system shut down after about twenty minutes of operation. Talking to the dealer it seems that a few people have had these issues. My old transformers with their disadvantages in terms of not having a stabilised secondary output etc…. they have never failed and stopped me from running trains. If I was still running a cs2 and not a cs3, I would be using the old transformers simply because I have no patience for unreliable rubbish!
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2021 01:12:06(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would agree. if it is not a faulty power supply then the cs2 is configured for the wrong power supply which means the cs2 expects a high current supply but the supply cannot supply the expected amount of current.

I had exactly the problem Alan describes. My CS2 lost its current supply setting during an update and then it started to shut down suddenly. Some wise forum advice pointed me in the right direction and the problem disappeared once it was set correctly! ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Online H0  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2021 08:22:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
If I was still running a cs2 and not a cs3, I would be using the old transformers simply because I have no patience for unreliable rubbish!
The CS3 is no longer prepared to work with AC, so when using a transformer, an external rectifier will be needed. If you prefer old transformers, you can still use them.

Switching-mode power supplies have disadvantages, transformers have disadvantages.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2021 10:46:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
To address your ACTUAL question , before getting sidetracked
Originally Posted by: Shay Go to Quoted Post
...What connector cables do I need for the track and power?

Track
The connector for both the Main and Programing track is a run of the mill..
https://www.jaycar.co.nz...4c4c33560f13af8678352e5a
https://nz.element14.com...1217315?st=5080%20series
or you could go for the Märklin offering
Plug and cable (60052 transformer not power supply) E120723
https://www.maerklinshop...7/kabel-m.-stecker-gleis

Power
The 60052(240V 60VA)/60055(120V 60VA) are transformers - cable is discrete and plugs in at both the transformer and CS2 ends
The 60061(240V 60VA)/60065(120V 50VA)/60101(240V 100VA) and 6004*(auto voltage DC OUTPUT: 15 V, 50 W / 19 V, 60 W) are power supplies - cable to CS2/CS3 is hardwired

Generally I would suggest sticking with Märklin on this item, however if you do go the alternate root then the plug is
http://uk.farnell.com/mu...r-free-4-pole/dp/1876289
Note: (only 2 pins are used and wired as per the lable on pg 7
https://static.maerklin....fbc255d5bc1475161856.pdf

One concern with the 60065 USA 120V is its 50VA spec.
While generally functional for the CS2 it does approach the limit were the 60VA option offers better headroom.

Now to address the distracting comments about cutout
(Yes a PS/Trafo may fail ... however ...)
The CS2 should "cutout" (= Big Red stop) before the PowerSupply/Transformer does, if it configured appropriately.
The configuration is done on the Setting->Spanner->Info screen and has the options for
- 60052 (implies awareness of a 60VA cutout of a transformer)
- 60061 (implies awareness of a 60VA cutout of a switch mode power supply)
- 60101 (implies awareness of a 100VA cutout of a switch mode power supply)

i.e. if you set the CS2 to 100VA when using a 60061 then of course the power supply will cutout first as the CS2 drives through the 60VA level

Unfortunately the 60061 (60VA) setting may also mean the detection is on the edge for a 120V 50VA and if your wiring is not good and well rated, thus ensuring a nice crisp short detection, the power supply may very well fail/cutout first.

In context I would not buy a second hand 60055(old 50VA), but a second hand 60065(old 60VA) might be considered for a CS2 even if it is a transformer
Noting! that a transformer will not work with a CS3 so ROI is limited
The 6004* replacement range of power supplies (only difference is the cable to the wall for different countries) has only been out a couple of year but I would think this is a worthwhile consideration.

Quote:
I also plan on purchasing an L88 feedback decoder. Does this also require its own power supply?

Yes, The power supply that comes with Märklin MS2 will workhere, but there is absolutely no need for 2Amp/36VA for a (L88)60883 so any 18/19V DC wall wart will do
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott