Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JohnjeanB  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2021 17:52:53(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
I agree totally with you here, it’s very annoying that the decoders are locked down.Does anyone know how to unlock a Märklin decoder?

On the German Forum Stummi, I was told first to upgrade the decoder firmware and then using the mDecoderTool3 to be able to program a new Sound.

Decoder Firware Update
On a CS3, connected to the Internet, this is done by putting the loco on the programming track, select edit loco, select the loco
Then select the middle tab "Install" and in low center of screen select update.
cs3_Lok Bearbeiten.png

Last this software version is proposed (only the first line will be updated)

cs3_screenshot_Decoder SW Update.png
Validate and after the update a message "update successful" is displayed

Then, the next step is to connect your mDecoderTool3
Sound Programming using the mDecoderTool3
- your laptop and your CS3 must be connected together either directly or to a router
- your loco must be on the programming track
- the mDecoderTool3 will recognize your CS3 (or CS2)
- using the "eye" icon, make sure you can control the loco
- designate the loco on the programming track among the drop-down list
- start programming and confirm you want to update both the settings and the sound files
- you end up with a screen like this
mDT3 BR75 Lok ProgramierenErfolgreich.png

It does not work with all locos I think I am still working on this but my trains are far away
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2021 20:16:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I agree totally with you here, it’s very annoying that the decoders are locked down. Does anyone know how to unlock a Märklin decoder?

On the German Forum Stummi, I was told first to upgrade the decoder firmware and then using the mDecoderTool3 to be able to program a new Sound.

It does not work with all locos I think I am still working on this but my trains are far away
Cheers
Jean

Thank you, it actually works :), I did a quick test on a 37026, with the 3.2.2.0 firmware. added a few sounds and programmed it. after I had programmed and tested it, I updated the locomotive with the latest firmware (3.2.2.1) and did a decoder reset and the extra sounds stayed.

Do you have the link to the discussion on stummiforum?

I think the key here is using the mDecoderTool3 and programing the decoder through the CS3, and on a decoder with a fairly recent upgraded firmware.
I have previously tested the mDecoderTool3 and the USB stick a few times, but it has never worked. And I have also previously programmed mSD3 decoders through the cs3, but I never tried it with factory-installed decoders.

Could this be a software "bug" from Marklin, that will be "corrected" later ?
I Have noticed with mSD3 and current software/firmware that dere is some bugs in decoder settings eg motor type of ofter programmed wrong, and when a decoder project is read back on mDecoderTool3, eg after a calibration, a lot of the values are wrong.
This was also the case with 37026 today, after the programming, the CS3 reported back that the motor was set to the wrong type.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2021 01:15:54(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi BHP
Here is the link on Stummi forum I have started on subject: how can we change the random sounds
The discussion evolved to the point a reprogramming was needed, including sounds, then how to program them on factory-installed sound decoders
https://www.stummiforum.de/t1941...-moglich.html#msg2304457
Cheers (Viele Grüsse)
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2021 23:42:17(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi Jean

I discovered that it probably has to be the designated decoder project for the locomotive, in order to work, other projects does not seem to work.

E.G. I tried to update on a special BR 212 (37000.001), and non of the standard projects did work, I tried several.

but then I discovered that the 37000.001 decoder project was available in mDecoder Tool, (hidden away under the W0 folder).

And with the correct project, I was able to add sounds and update the locomotive without any problem.

Edited by user 24 August 2021 11:32:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 25 August 2021 10:45:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
New topic created from posts originally posted https://www.marklin-user...em-37797-TGV-Duplex-V150
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2021 15:04:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
An update.

Discovered a few things: (this for information)

It seems that at least firmware 3.2.0.0 is required
CS3_Programming.jpg
in this case, there is no firmware update from Märklin. (39030 with decoder part no 236805)

with a different locomotive I discovered this:(this for information)
There are a few locomotives that have 32 Mbit decoders. eg my 37588 G12, with decoder part no 259851. (Firmware 3.2.2.0)
but the mDecodertool does not recognize this. So it's possible to send projects that are bigger to the decoder, and that messes up the sound badly.
I think programming starts again and rewrites from the start when it reaches the 32 Mbit limit.

the fix was just to reduce the project under the 32 Mbit limit and program again.
The 32 Mbit limits the sound so it was only space for a few more sounds. But I did also remap the decoder a bit and added a telex coupler waltz with sound.

(For information i'm using mDecoderTool v3.4.2, and a CS3+ with software v.2.3.1 (8))

Edited by user 30 August 2021 23:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification after some complaints, Clarifications in bold

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 30 August 2021 17:29:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
An update.

Discovered a few things:

in this case, there is no firmware update from Märklin. (decoder part no 236805)

There are a few locomotives that have 32 Mbit decoders. eg my 37588 G12.
but the mDecodertool does not recognize this. So it's possible to send projects that are bigger to the decoder, and that messes up the sound badly.
I think programming starts again and rewrites from the start when it reaches the 32 Mbit limit.

the fix was just to reduce the project under the 32 Mbit limit and program again.
The 32 Mbit limits the sound so it was only space for a few more sounds. But I did also remap the decoder a bit and added a telex coupler waltz with sound.

Hmm, 2015, when this loco was produced was the year that the msd/3 decoders were introduced, but they didn't come until late in the year, so this will probably have an original msd decoder. I don't know what the procedure is for updating one of those, nor if it can be updated to the software level being quoted.
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 30 August 2021 18:15:51(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
An update.

Discovered a few things:

in this case, there is no firmware update from Märklin. (decoder part no 236805)

There are a few locomotives that have 32 Mbit decoders. eg my 37588 G12.

Hmm, 2015, when this loco was produced was the year that the msd/3 decoders were introduced, but they didn't come until late in the year, so this will probably have an original msd decoder. I don't know what the procedure is for updating one of those, nor if it can be updated to the software level being quoted.

The above are two different locomotives. (edited for clarification)

the 37558 has the original factory fitted decoder and it updates like the rest of the decoders. but don't know if it was used in all the 37588.
I would guess it's an mSD3 since it has firmware 3.x.x.x and clapcott has it on his list as an msd3 in this thread

I also got a 37144 T3 from around 2015 with mfx+, but that one has decoder firmware 2.17.19, I did upgrade it from an earlier 2.x.x version, on the CS3. and I assume this is an msd.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 30 August 2021 19:00:54(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
As Märklin requires a firmware version minimum v3.2.0.0 in its mDecoderTool reject message.
You may reprogram your loco to the present latest version, which is v3.2.5 (see above post #1)
Some locos refuse to be updated (e.g.: my BR 18.5 39039 of 2015 remains with its current version v3.0.0.17
cs3_39039 update keinUpdate erforderlich.png

No hopes of programming sounds on this one

On later locos dating 2017 and later (e.g. 39241, 39243) I have been successful updating the firmware but not the sounds yet.

Also, mSD2 and mSD3 decoders seem to run on a different firmware (they accept sound programming for ages)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 30 August 2021 20:48:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
As Märklin requires a firmware version minimum v3.2.0.0 in its mDecoderTool reject message.
You may reprogram your loco to the present latest version, which is v3.2.5 (see above post #1)
Some locos refuse to be updated (e.g.: my BR 18.5 39039 of 2015 remains with its current version v3.0.0.17

Hi, I might have been unclear in my post.

My post above was intended for information to others, that in order to do a sound upgrade, firmware v3.2.0.0 or higher is required on factory-installed decoders.
This since it had not been mentioned at the time of posting.

In my example, I also wrote that Märklin had not released a firmware update for that decoder that triggered the message. (39030 with decoder part no 236805). You probably have the same locomotive as there is no 39039?

I haven't seen any firmware v3.2.5, the latest seems to be. 3.2.2.2, depending a bit on the type of decoder. (in most cases 3.2.2.1)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2021 22:35:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi

You sure were, I took it you were attempting to do an update and having problems.

My post above was intended for information to others, that in order to do a sound upgrade, firmware v3.2.0.0 or higher is required on factory-installed decoders.
This since it had not been mentioned at the time of posting.

It certainly didn't come across to me that you were providing information on what is required. When providing such info then maybe a first line statement that you are providing a "heads up" could be worth while.

In my example, I also wrote that Märklin had not released a firmware update for that decoder that triggered the message. (39030 with decoder part no 236805). You probably have the same locomotive as there is no 39039?

I haven't seen any firmware v3.2.5, the latest seems to be. 3.2.2.2, depending a bit on the type of decoder. (in most cases 3.2.2.1)

I think the 3.2.5 is cs2 or msd/3 programmer firmware level, where I think you are talking about the firmware level in the decoder. Again a lack of exactness of description in your post further up has created a lot of confusion.

When talking things like firmware level I try hard to be very descriptive of what device I am talking about, and this becomes even more critical when there are several devices in the chain (cs/decoder/programmer) which all have firmware at a similar level, that it is critical to specify exactly which device or item you are referring to.

Offline bph  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2021 21:05:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

You sure were, I took it you were attempting to do an update and having problems.

Hi
I agree that my post could have included more information, and I do apologize for any confusion.
I have tried to correct that. (note that I did not ask any questions)

Please remember that not all are native English speaking and that sometimes the intention is lost during translations. I do know that I probably sometimes also can be a bit direct, as a result of that English is not my birth language. But when I write, I try to read over and rephrase things so I don’t accidentally insult people.
What I was trying to do here was only to share some more information about factory fitted decoders and sound updates. This because there is no information from Märklin about this. I do really appreciate the information “JohnjeanB” shared about this and was only trying to add to that information, in order to give a more complete picture.
I hope others also can share their experience with this and especially if there are things to avoid.