Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2021 01:44:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've looked at the macro setttings for this locomotive. I don't know which to adjust to improve the perfomance on the upgrade. Will the acceleration delay being longer help, or is it one of the advanced configuration settings for the motor speed control? Acc. delay is currently set at 22 as is braking delay. Max. speed is set to 145. It's nearly new since March. It runs flawlwssly otherwise.
Thanks in advance.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2021 14:52:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mike
Have you tried the self learning feature of the recent Märklin decoders?
This is about automatic calibration using CV7
- Install an oval / Circle with minimum R2 radius. Alternately, install the loco upside down on a foam bed and connect both poles of digital source (B and 0)
- make sure the motor type matches the reality by CV 52= 1 (SDS) =2 (No feed-back control); = 3 (C90 HLA motor); = 4 (Bell armature); =5 (DC soft motor); =6 (DC hard motor); =7 (1 Gauge motor). The real important point is not to mix SDS (Sinus) motors with regular DC motors. In your case the CV52 should be 6 or 5)
- start the calibration procedure (see page 30 of attached document). Using a CS2 or CS3, overwrite in the field "Firmware" the value 77. Alternately (MM or DCC) write 77 in CV7
- just start your loco using the speed control knob and the decoder will take over (accelerating braking stopping). Let it finish its cycle and you are all set
- finish by adjusting the acceleration delay and brake delay (Respectively CV3 and CV4)
- beware to to reduce too much the minimum speed CV2 Factory value =4 don't go below 2 or you risk burning the motor when it stalls with an heavy train)

The mSD3 manual is here mSD3 UsersManual.pdf (9,785kb) downloaded 52 time(s).

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2021 16:23:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you Jean! I changed set up menu for acc delay to 35, up from 22. Max. speed is 190. It seems better. Slow spped operation is slow and smooth. It only surges on one curved ramp with a very long heavy train at higher speeds. It's a 10 cm. climb on an R2 within 1 metre. So it's rather steep. The surge occcurs once the loco levels out onto the bridge, but the train is still climbing. Do the decoders have limits which a steep grade is too much for?
I'm nervous about messing with the self learning feature for now. I looked at the macros in the config, manu. How do I know which motor type it has, hard or soft bell armature? It's not a sinus motor. Config. says bell for #4
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2021 18:46:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mike
The present Märklin decoders (mSD3) have a current limit to protect both the decoder and the motor. The current limit is 1.1A permanent

I never found clear definition of DC Hard and DC Soft motors. All the recent Märklin (with CAN motors) locos I have inspected seem to be configured wit DC Hard

What do you call surging? Is this a real acceleration or a change in noise?

One possibility is that adherence is changed at the end of your curved ramp. Some locos lack flexibility in vertical curvature of tracks which can lead to adherence changes (motor running faster because the traction effort is reduced). Another aspect is the non-helicoïdal shape of tracks (a long 2 axles car will not stand on only 3 wheels. Almost nowhere helicoidal track shape is allowed (derailing and loss of traction risks)

Another possibility is the elasticity of couplings on a very long train that may cause oscillations (accordion-like behavior). Using Märklin close couplings, there is little elasticity to be expected.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2021 19:35:26(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Jean, as the lcomotive finshies it's climb, it enters the level bridge, which isn't curved. The remaining cars are still climbing on the curved ramp. As soon as the loco is on the bridge, it speeds up to compensate for the weight of the train and drawbar forces, even though it increrased it's speed up the ramp. It was jerking before, but is much smoother now. It runs smoothly in load compensation all all other ramps and the embankment which is also 10 cm.