Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2021 00:36:37(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have been running my layout using a CS2 and Rocrail for years, quite successfully. A few months ago my Internet Service Provider decided to do away with their Norton based virus protection software. Since I had a new computer with a one year subscription to McAfee LiveSafe Internet security for all my devices I switched my model railroad laptop over and all was fine until I tried to run Rocrail.

After I open my Rocrail Workspace I immediately get the messages every few seconds that Rocrail cannot communicate with the IP address of the CS2 and the designated port. I have added the IP address into the McAfee network addresses, added the port into the McAfee Ports section and made sure that both Rocview and Rocrail were entered into McAfee Apps/Programs section. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas? Does anyone else use Rocrail with McAfee Livesafe protection software?

Peter
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2021 07:01:41(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Since a few years, I’m running Microsoft Windows Defender only, as PC protection (Windows 10). This decision was made based upon some 3rd party tests and recommendations. I have no technical or virus issues anymore, and have simply forgotten everything about them. Clearly, ”niche” anti-virus package suppliers need to broaden their business…

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2021 07:43:09(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I'm just guessing here, as so many things can be the issue, but maybe by installing a new anti-virus, this has reset the firewall of your operating system (Windows?), and as such you need to also open the ports and access there...
Also, maybe you need to add more ports (than just one) into the anti-virus setup.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline French_Fabrice  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2021 08:01:15(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Peter,

I would suggest to open ports for both TCP and UDP, just in case...
In the past, port 15730 was also used, in addition to regular port 15731.

Sorry, as I run linux, I cannot help on McAfee issue, but it is obviously a firewall problem.

Cheers
Fabrice
Online JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2021 14:47:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter
I am using Windows 10 and Rocrail.
My firewall is Windows defender and I had to declare the name of trusted programs(which I can use and let them communicate without being interrupted).
So I suppose that with McAfee it must be the same
Go to Windows Parameters/Windows Security/Fire Wall & Network protection/Authorize an application --> Rocrail
Here is an extract of my firewall regarding Rocrail See the red rectangle
Firewall extract.png

BTW: windows defender is working great and included in the Windows package
Cheers
Jean
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2021 17:39:06(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks everyone. I finally have it working again and I have no idea why.

After several reboots of both Rocrail and the CS2 with no results I decided to change the CS2 to DHCP and requested a new IP address. I knew this would not work with Rocrail but I figured that something may be blocked in McAfee and may reset with this automatic IP setting. I rebooted everything, changed back to my normal IP settings, rebooted everything again and Rocrail started to work. Strange, but whatever this manipulation did, worked.
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2021 15:41:28(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Well I knew it was too good to be true. After restarting my laptop I once again got the message from Rocrail that it cannot connect to the CS2 IP address. The tricks I used the first time by switching to DHCP and back again did not work. I disabled McAfee and it still didn't work.

I checked the CS2 Network communication with the Maerklin update site, no problem. I checked the Windows CS2 software that was issued a few years ago for PC control and it connected to the CS2 IP address with no problem. Then this is where it becomes interesting. After the PC CS2 program has established connection and control capability, the Rocrail connection error disappears and I get complete Rocrail control. I can shut down the CS2 PC software and the Rocrail control stays on. I can restart Rocrail numerous times after that with no issues as long as I don't shut down the laptop. Once I shut the laptop off and restart, the whole issue repeats.

So it does not appear to be a McAfee issue but a weird network issue. I'm stumped. Ideas?
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2021 16:47:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
According to the Rocrail forum, the 10061 error code that I am getting indicates that either the CS2 is blocking the communication or that there is still a form of firewall block even though I have listed the IP range as allowable, the ports allowable and deactivated McAfee.

The CS2 PC software somehow triggers that TCP to the CS2's UDP communication can occur which then allows Rocrail control. The recommendation is to update the CS2 firmware, but I'm already there with the latest update.

Does anyone else on this forum run Rocrail with the latest CS2 update and have similar problems?
Online JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2021 17:13:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I had this behavior in the past. CS2 not communication with Rocrail but having the CS2.exe application unlocked the situation.
Now what I did is to connect both my PC and CS2 to a router in DHCP mode and let the addresses be assigned.
Then I took note of these addresses and froze them solid through manual mode in the CS2
I also informed my firewall on existing applications
Last, I replace the router by a direct Ethernet link Laptop--CS2. Another reason I did this is the router, specifically dedicated to the layout has WiFi and proximity of the WiFi antennas to the layout caused phantom train detections (in the S88 system.

This was the end of most of my problems.

What I suspect is Rocrail does not follow all the security procedures (at least the Windows' ones) and so there are cases where Windows security stops data exchanges with the CS2. Same on the CS2 side because sometimes you connect a CS2 directly to your PC and the CS2 app jumps into demo mode (No CS2 found)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 24 August 2021 17:53:51(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Jean.

I now feel a lot better that I am not losing my mind that activating the CS2 PC software somehow unlocks the communication. I run my connections through an Ethernet switch instead of a router. The same as you did, I set up DHCP, let it assign the IP addresses and then locked those addresses for the CS2 and Rocrail. However, communication remains blocked until I start the CS2 PC software. I may have to live with it.
Online JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2021 18:25:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Good to hear. Thanks Have you notified your firewall about Rocrail? (Sort of key to allow Rocrail to exchange data)
When there is no internet connection, it is safe to make a try: block the firewall, then reboot the laptop and CS2 and see if the connection is started normally.
Don't forget to unlock the firewall before any internet connection.

Cheers

Jean
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2021 17:45:09(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have spent an hour on a Chat with McAfee and they took control of my computer and could not resolve or identify an issue. No communication to my CS2 was blocked by their software. They turned off all protection and I still got the 10061 error in Rocrail. As usual in these type of situations, they blamed the App. Rocrail of course is blaming McAfee first, then the CS2 firmware.

What I find interesting is:

- I can ping the CS2 from my laptop and have both successful received and sent info
- I can connect with the CS2 directly from Google by typing in the IP address
- I can connect the Maerklin CS2 PC program
- I cannot connect from Rocrail unless I start the CS2 PC program

Does the CS2 have any form of firewall? What does the CS2 PC program open which then also allows Rocrail to communicate?
Offline French_Fabrice  
#13 Posted : 25 August 2021 18:26:08(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Peter,

I don't have the solution to your problem but I would do the following:
-uninstall the McAfee software, hoping that nothing remains hidden or active Bored
-stop the native windows firewall
-unplug the connection to internet
-do a test to connect to rocrail from your laptop

if it is OK, then it is probably McAfee software which interferes.

If not, then it becomes more complicated Confused...
-remaining McAfee hidden stuff ?
-other windows component modified by McAfee?
-bug in latest CS2 firmware ?
-bug in your rocrail version ?

Good luck
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 25 August 2021 19:04:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I have spent an hour on a Chat with McAfee and they took control of my computer and could not resolve or identify an issue. No communication to my CS2 was blocked by their software. They turned off all protection and I still got the 10061 error in Rocrail. As usual in these type of situations, they blamed the App. Rocrail of course is blaming McAfee first, then the CS2 firmware.

What I find interesting is:

- I can ping the CS2 from my laptop and have both successful received and sent info
- I can connect with the CS2 directly from Google by typing in the IP address
- I can connect the Maerklin CS2 PC program
- I cannot connect from Rocrail unless I start the CS2 PC program

Does the CS2 have any form of firewall? What does the CS2 PC program open which then also allows Rocrail to communicate?

The cs2 may well have a Linux firewall in it, but if so I have never seen any information on configuring it.

I know the CS2PC program probes the local network by sending a broadcast message to find any cs2/3 devices 'out there'. I presume these then report back with their IP address which allows the program to then interact with the cs2/3.

I suspect your problem is that Rocrail is doing a namespace search for your cs2, but you don't have a namespace server. However once the cs2pc program has gone and found the cs2 then that sets up a namespace server somewhere and Rocrail can then find the cs2.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan