Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline joseluisvalde  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2021 13:06:10(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
I have the locomotive GS4 Daylight with steaming quillable whistle without the boiler-board (damaged) and I don't know where I can get it, now that MTH is in abnormal condition since Mike Wolf has retired and closed his company.
samebody can help me with this issue of spare parts?
Thanks

Jose Luis Valderrama
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2021 01:39:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
There are a lot of MTH forums online - just do a Goggle search. There you should find people who can lead you to where to get stuff.

Good luck. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline blid  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2021 12:46:58(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
MTH has not closed down entirely. The spareparts have move to a new location but I can’t find it right now. Maybe an email from the old website, https://www.mthtrains.com/parts, will do. I think I have the address somewhere and will keep looking.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline blid  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2021 13:22:51(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I have found it: https://www.mthtrains.com/main-contact-form?vgo_ee=JTjaAmFhSb8D8Ig7uoHloA%3D%3D.
Just curious. You mention the quillable whistle feature. As far as I know it is only accessible when you run with the MTH DCS system, not DCC. Are you using DSC and is the engine GaugeOne or 0? My H0 version don’t have a smoking whistle as far as I remember but I don’t use smoke for H0.
blid
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2021 21:44:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi, I'm fairly well versed in this. Some notes if they are helpful at all:

1- MTH HO was almost a separate company within MTH, based in the midwest. They have continued to chug along amongst the closure/sale, and parts should be available.
2- that being said, MTH was never good about spares. I'd recommend trying a large MTH service center with experience working on their HO (Not O) products. It is a whole different aftersales distribution channel from O scale parts and service
3- I believe most or all of the steam locomotive tooling has gone to scaletrains, so if everything is hopeless now, it may not be when they reissue the locomotive
4- I'm not sure if your problem is physical damage or the electronics? If it is DCS-related, I'd just throw it out and install an ESU sound decoder. DCS is a nightmare for any of us in HO and used to DCC/Motorola.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline joseluisvalde  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2021 12:07:56(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

Until today I had not been able to see the responses to the MTH parts topic that I posted.
I apologize and thank Dickinsonj, Blid and HorizontesRR for their responses.

Comment: the smoke quillable whistle it is in the latest GS4 Daylight H0 manufactured and others, and it works very well with the DCC system.
The problem I have is that the small decoder that is in the boiler (border board) has broken down and is used for all the functions of the boiler (motor, lights and smoke); now only the sounds and lights of the tender are ok, all the functions of the boiler are stopped.

I have written to the MTH spare parts contact, but I have not received a response.

Considering that the Protosound 3 decoder is fine, I am wondering if that border board could be replaced by a V.5 lokpilot that will activate the motor and the lights, although I think the smoke function would be more difficult.

Thanks for your help
Jose Luis Valderrama
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joseluisvalde