Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Krish  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2021 06:44:26(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hello Everybody,

I am a 70 year old, picking up model trains as a hobby.

I have had a gauge 1 Marklin starter set ( 55037) for many years but have not used it. I have acquired the newer Central Station, the CS3.

As my other hobby is RC aeromodelling, I have several spare Futaba servos. I am exploring the possibility of using these servos for turnout mechanisms. Other model train hobbyists here have kindly advised me to look into ESU SwitchPilot as a decoder for my servos - specifically the ESU 51832.

SinceI have no experience at all, I will need some help in this direction.

Has anyone used an ESU switchpilot on Marklin systems?

Thank you
Krish
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2021 12:24:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I don't think you can do that. Perhaps if you're an expert device hacker. Marklin and ESU used to be partners, but no more. ESU actually made the first Marklin Central station. Marklin may possibly still source some decoders from them, but I am unsure.
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2021 12:40:51(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I can’t see why they shouldn’t work. They are compatible with Motorola and DCC and you connect them to the track output just like any accessory. Download the manual from ESU and check.

Peder
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline French_Fabrice  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2021 13:11:25(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Krish,

We are a number of forum member to use ESu SwitchPilot Servo decoders and servos.

I've personally used ESU SwitchPilot2 Servo decoder and ESU servos, on my K-Track HO Layout, driven with DCC protocol and CS2. It works absolutely perfect !

For 1 gauge, you may check if the servo has enough power to move the points... I don't know.
Check also if your Futaba servos have standard connections.
See ESU web site to download the various docs... (the ESU web site seems to have problems since a few days ?)

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2021 13:37:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I don't think you can do that.
The question was "Has anyone used an ESU switchpilot on Marklin systems?"
I think it can be done, but never tried. NMRA DCC is an international standard and different brands usually work together without problems.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2021 14:31:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Krish
Using Servo decoders from ESU with a CS3 is working perfect. I use them for 4 years now with a CS2 and now with a CS3.
Absolutely NO isues.
Märklin Systems dates around 2004 when ESU worked for Märklin and created the CS1 (60212) and MS1.
It includes early version of MFX (but still compatible).
The ESU Servo Decoder does not use MFX but MM2 or DCC so it can be used with ANY Märklin digital including Systems but also 6020 and 6021
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2021 15:08:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
To me, a PILOT refers ro a remote or second controller to a central controller.
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2021 16:10:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

And what does the item number "ESU 51832" refer to? LOL

I think it would be better if you only answered questions where you KNOW the answer, instead of just answering ALL questions................ Cool

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2021 16:12:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
For 1 gauge, you may check if the servo has enough power to move the points... I don't know.

I'm sure the servos can do it, it doesn't take much more force than on H0, and Krish is already using servos, just controlled differently.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 18 August 2021 16:17:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think the question is can I use Switch pilot servo module, you can connect the 3 pin connector to a switch pilot servo module and control the points manually or as I've done used an optocoupler whereas 5 volt DC from the switch pilot servo module and 16 Volt AC and use a switching track, reed contact or as I have done with an optocoupler, or if you want to control it digital you have to look for more ESU products.

John

Edited by user 19 August 2021 04:45:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 18 August 2021 17:44:18(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
if you want to control it digital you have to look for more ESU products.

What else than a Switchpilot would he need? He already has a CS3 to control it and several servos.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 18 August 2021 18:39:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Flapper
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

And what does the item number "ESU 51832" refer to? LOL

I think it would be better if you only answered questions where you KNOW the answer, instead of just answering ALL questions................ Cool

Per.

Cool
Why would I look up the ESU item? I don't use ESU components, but I know what their Loc-Pilot is. Otherwise, having Dyslexia is such a fun condition. I transpose numbers, sometimes letters and words too. I forget how many parts like window or door frames I've glued in backward the first time on ho scale Faller kits.

Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 18 August 2021 19:03:39(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't use ESU components, but I know what their Loc-Pilot is.

According to your previous post, that would be: "To me, a PILOT refers ro a remote or second controller to a central controller."

LOL Laugh LOL

I forget how many parts like window or door frames I've glued in backward the first time on ho scale Faller kits.

You also forget whom you've claimed to have muted...................... LOL Laugh LOL Laugh Flapper

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 18 August 2021 19:53:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Isn't there some quote along the lines of "it is better not to post a reply and be thought a fool, rather than post a reply and prove it" ...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0Mark5
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 18 August 2021 22:18:24(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Am I the onely member to post an error? Are "yunz" perfect? Google that word Yinzer. Besides, it's an open forum, and we take at value what we want to. We offer advice, take advice, find mistakes, correct them, hopefully without being condescending. Is that foolish? I could care less what anyone thinks of me anywho! I have one profile, don't use fake names or monikers. Some do though. On the Web, you can be anything you want to be.
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 18 August 2021 22:51:48(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

On the Web, you can be anything you want to be.

Sure; but being constantly wrong doesn't help anybody, and I don't understand the idea of wanting to be just that Cool

It creates a lot of confusion for the people who asks for advice, and thus a lot of work for those who actually knows the answers to the questions.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 18 August 2021 23:34:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Of course not, and I've been a victim also. It was either HO or Mike C. who told me I needed the M83 end circuits for my C track turnouts. In fact, you don't. Luckily I found out before my dealer shipped them. I saved myself $66.00 U.S.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 18 August 2021 23:50:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Am I the onely member to post an error?

No.

Are "yunz" perfect?

No.

Google that word Yinzer.

TL:DR

Besides, it's an open forum, and we take at value what we want to. We offer advice, take advice, find mistakes, correct them, hopefully without being condescending. Is that foolish? I could care less what anyone thinks of me anywho! I have one profile, don't use fake names or monikers. Some do though. On the Web, you can be anything you want to be.

The problem (in this thread at least, and I believe I have seen it in your postings in other threads) is that you are offering advice on things you have no experience with. This generally leads to information that is totally wrong - and then when the errors are pointed out you don't accept that there is an error and carry on adding to the noise in the thread.

You said earlier you have no experience with ESU Switchpilots, but then proceed to offer advice as though you have. This just creates useless noise in the thread which is of no use to the original enquirer - or anyone else who comes along at some future time looking for advice on similar items or problems. You are creating exactly the sort of useless information that you complained about in your immediately previous post.

hence my previous post in this thread.
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 19 August 2021 00:12:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That is incorrect Alan! I stated that after I found out I was incorrect, not before hand. Again more misreading.
Offline phils2um  
#20 Posted : 19 August 2021 02:01:25(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Poor Krish,

His thread has been hijacked by bickering. Please, let's get back to providing some useful help to him!

*/ Yes indeed, enough bickering already! /BDNZ /*

Edited by moderator 19 August 2021 09:54:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil S.
Offline phils2um  
#21 Posted : 19 August 2021 05:08:02(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
A question for Fabrice and Jean,

How did you program (change CVs on) your ESU switch devices? Were you able to do it with your Märklin central stations or did you use an ESU LokProgrammer? If you were able to use your central stations how did it go and was it straight forward? Krish will need to know and I'm curious myself.
Phil S.
Offline Krish  
#22 Posted : 19 August 2021 05:50:21(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hello Fabrice,

Thank you for your post about switchpilot and CS2.

I have a CS3 ( not CS3+). I have no idea how to call up DCC protocol at all. Is it easy to learn to use DCC protocol using CS3 ?

Yes, the Futaba servos have standard connectors and I am presently using them to activate turnouts by a battery pack of just 4.8 volts. I think each servo needs only 300ma.

Please let me know where I can read up all about DCC protocol with reference to CS3

Merci beacoup
Krish
Offline phils2um  
#23 Posted : 19 August 2021 06:27:13(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Please ignore - I could not add uploads with "Quick Reply"
Phil S.
Offline phils2um  
#24 Posted : 19 August 2021 06:33:32(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: Krish Go to Quoted Post
Hello Fabrice,

I have a CS3 ( not CS3+). I have no idea how to call up DCC protocol at all. Is it easy to learn to use DCC protocol using CS3 ?

Yes, the Futaba servos have standard connectors and I am presently using them to activate turnouts by a battery pack of just 4.8 volts. I think each servo needs only 300ma.

Please let me know where I can read up all about DCC protocol with reference to CS3

Merci beacoup
Krish

Nothing magic about enabling DCC on your CS3. Navigate to System>Settings>Track:Protocols and operations and make sure DCC is checked:
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 12.05.55 AM.png (1,531kb) downloaded 39 time(s).

Then when you add your track device make sure DCC is the selected switch protocol and the correct DCC switch address for the decoder is selected:
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 12.10.03 AM.png (1,629kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
Phil S.
Offline Krish  
#25 Posted : 19 August 2021 06:46:21(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hi Phils2um

Thank you for the two pictures you sent.

Can I assume that ESU switchPilot is DCC ?

Thanx
Krish
Offline phils2um  
#26 Posted : 19 August 2021 08:00:53(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Hi Phils2um

Thank you for the two pictures you sent.

Can I assume that ESU switchPilot is DCC ?

Thanx
Krish

It can be DCC or MM, it is your choice when you set it up. You just need to make sure the same protocol is selected when you add articles to the article list on the CS3. When you order one make sure you get the SwitchPilot 3 Servo model. The other two SwitchPilot 3 models are for operating twin-coil devices, lights, and other such things.

For what it is worth, having now read ESU's description, the SwitchPilot 3 devices look like excellent, easy to use, units to me. Too bad they aren't weather resistant or I'd consider them for my garden railway.
Phil S.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#27 Posted : 19 August 2021 08:33:06(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Fabrice,

Merci beacoup
Krish

Hello Krish

All answers have been provided by phils2um.
-see page 16 of the cs3 manual for setting the protocol of a newly created turnout
-ESU 51832 (SwitchPilotServo3) is multi protocol (MM addresses 1-256 or DCC addresses 1-2048)
Note: This new ESU device seems to be much more easy to program as there is a small display. Thus, having a Lokprogrammer is less useful in this case

@phils2um: about setting the CVs of ESU devices, I use a Lokprogrammer (ESU loco decoders, ESU SwitchPilotServo2)... Much more easy.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Krish  
#28 Posted : 19 August 2021 09:10:12(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you Fabrice.
I can now see some light at the end of the tunnel.
I will take a look at the page 16 of CS3 manual.

Merci beacoup

Krish
Offline French_Fabrice  
#29 Posted : 19 August 2021 13:32:20(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Krish,

Just a small update.
The page 16 I was referring to, was in an old version of the CS3 manual.

The most recent CS3 manual is there: https://streaming.maerkl...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf
In this manual, the protocol setting for turnouts is located in page 15 (Configuring item, "hand-pointer #3").
See also in post #24, 2nd downloadable file posted by phils2um...

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline JohnjeanB  
#30 Posted : 19 August 2021 22:11:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
A question for Fabrice and Jean,

How did you program (change CVs on) your ESU switch devices? Were you able to do it with your Märklin central stations or did you use an ESU LokProgrammer? If you were able to use your central stations how did it go and was it straight forward? Krish will need to know and I'm curious myself.

Hi
Sorry for my late answer.
I started by programming directly on the SwitchPilot 3 Servo (using local buttons and LEDs). It is very convenient when both the Switchpilot 3 Servo and the servo can be viewed at the same time.

Later when the decoder is screwed under the table and the servo is under a bridge (I use a number of servos to control my Car System switches and stops) then I used the CV method illustrated in page 15 and 16 is available and works very well with a CS2 and CS3
Here is an example of servos used for car system guidance and why, later, trimming must be done by CVs because both the servos and the decoder can be viewed

Here is the manual English version
ESU SwitchPilot3Servo_Manual.pdf (2,114kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

Hoping this helps
Cheers

Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Krish  
#31 Posted : 20 August 2021 08:14:12(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you very much JohnjeanB.

The manual of esu51832 is a little overwhelming at this stage for me !Smile

But I am sure i will round to it.

Krish
Offline phils2um  
#32 Posted : 20 August 2021 08:30:02(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Thanks go to both Fabrice and Jean for the info. The SwitchPilot3 Servo looks to be very easy to set up from looking at the manual. It's just what Krish and the rest of us Luddites need! Even I would not have any trouble getting it to work. If only every switch decoder were this easy to program!
Phil S.