Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ASz  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2021 10:58:40(UTC)
ASz

United Kingdom   
From time to time I change my layout from analogue to digital operation using MS2 60653 and the control box. My layout is all M-track.
When I do this my electric points and signals work fine, but their lights do not work. The yellow lighting cables are still connected to the blue transfomers.
Switching back to analogue operation, i.e. removing the MS2 and control box and reconnecting to the blue transformers all lights work.
Any suggestions?
Offline skukuza  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2021 12:25:57(UTC)
skukuza

New Zealand   
When you operate in digital mode, do you have the points connected to the ground on the transformer? This is required as the yellow on the blue TX must also have a ground in order to operate the light.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skukuza
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2021 13:53:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If the decoder is in the turnout, the brown wire is the ground to the track. The newest turnout motors and decoders have plug-in sockets, and one less wire. If the decoder is an external M83, it gets ground from the track power, and one wire from the turnout motor is blue for the activate solenoiud side, and one for yellow.
Offline ASz  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2021 14:22:07(UTC)
ASz

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: skukuza Go to Quoted Post
When you operate in digital mode, do you have the points connected to the ground on the transformer? This is required as the yellow on the blue TX must also have a ground in order to operate the light.

I operate mainly analogue as I only have a couple of digital locos, so all my trunouts and signals are analogue without decoders.

I only had the earth (O) connected to the track from the digital track box.
I wasn't sure if I could also connect the O from a blue transformer using a normal M-feeder track, leaving the live (L red) disconnected.

Is it OK to have another earth connection in addition to the track box?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ASz
Offline skukuza  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2021 00:40:45(UTC)
skukuza

New Zealand   
Yes of course. Or you could solder a ground wire anywhere on your M track (not the center stud) and connect it to the O on the blue TX. Never connect the red from the blue TX when operating in digital as this could damage your MS.