Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline roberts  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2021 15:24:40(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by roberts
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2021 16:54:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: robertsandboge Go to Quoted Post

Looks like they will make however many are ordered, doesn't appear to be limited in quantity.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline roberts  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2021 20:39:07(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Looks like they will make however many are ordered, doesn't appear to be limited in quantity.

Yes, it makes sense for this kind of item. They will piggyback on the insider model 39692.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by roberts
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2021 23:51:15(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Here’s the Instagram post. It’s very nice of them to do this. As it must cost a great deal to produce these models, as all the sale cost is going to the disaster relief. Be nice to buy a wagon as well😆 I would have one of those 👍👍
https://www.instagram.co.../?utm_medium=share_sheet
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2021 01:22:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Here’s the Instagram post. It’s very nice of them to do this. As it must cost a great deal to produce these models, as all the sale cost is going to the disaster relief. Be nice to buy a wagon as well😆 I would have one of those 👍👍

Yes, it would be nice to have a wagon as an alternative. Euro 500 is a pretty steep wad of cash to cough up now to get the loco in November.

And what do you think the colour is? It is described as silver (presumably like the "Metal Technology" series locos) but the pictures show a colour that is closer to the bronze colour of the Miniclub bronze series items.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline roberts  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2021 09:43:02(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   

Yes, it would be nice to have a wagon as an alternative. Euro 500 is a pretty steep wad of cash to cough up now to get the loco in November.

And what do you think the colour is? It is described as silver (presumably like the "Metal Technology" series locos) but the pictures show a colour that is closer to the bronze colour of the Miniclub bronze series items.

It doesn’t look like a neutral silver in the image, but it could be due to the ambient light. Changing the white balance to make the silver look neutral in a photo editor doesn’t look strange, but if I change the clouds to look white in the showcase it makes the silver look yellowish and strange.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2021 12:19:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The other thing I noticed is there is no cut off date for ordering. I guess when the number ordered gets to the maximum number they are prepared to produce it will just not allow any more to be ordered.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2021 13:16:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Well, I don't think it will cost Märklin much, as Märklin states "All profits will be donated to benefit those affected by the July 2021 flood disaster."

And the German government will have their share as well in the form of the VAT. and if I bought it I would have to "donate" some VAT to the Norwegian government on top of that. that will bring the total up to around 677,-€ including shipping and customs fees.

Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2021 16:32:25(UTC)
Goofy

It is not necessary to buy this model just because to donate victim of the flood disaster?
I thought german state shall support and also insurance company for the flood victim?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2021 16:49:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Exactly Goofy! Marklin isn't producing them at a loss for sure either. The factory employees, staff, I.T. dept., expediting carriers, designers, etc. still have to be paid, and taxes, utilities and raw material costs must be included.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2021 11:34:48(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I thought german state shall support and also insurance company for the flood victim?

Translation from German "Tagesschau" report:

"After the flood disaster in western Germany, the debate has flared up about how damage caused by natural disasters can be better covered. The usual building insurance policies cover storms and hail, but not floods, inundations or landslides - this has to be additionally covered by natural hazard policies.
[...]
According to the GDV [= German insurance association], only about 40 percent of all buildings in Germany are insured against the financial consequences of natural hazards. Homeowners need to know that normal building insurance or household insurance does not pay anything in the case of catastrophes like the recent ones in Rhineland-Palatinate and North Rhine-Westphalia. Standard policies only cover damage caused by fires, lightning strikes, storms and hailstorms. Other so-called natural hazard damage caused by natural events requires an additional policy. This is associated with additional expenses. For example, a standard building insurance policy for a single-family house in a normal location and with a basement costs about 200 euros a year, with an excess of 250 euros. If you add elementary insurance against natural damage, the premium rises up to 300 euros or more, depending on the provider.
[...]
In 2017, the prime ministers [of the federal states] decided to tighten the requirements for emergency aid in order to encourage citizens to insure themselves more. State aid was to be given only to those who had unsuccessfully sought insurance or were unable to pay the required premiums. Nevertheless, in the most recent flood disaster, the state once again acted as the insurer of last resort. Rhineland-Palatinate, for example, made no distinction between the insured and the uninsured when paying out the aid money. All households received emergency aid of up to 3,500 euros."

https://www.tagesschau.d...ce-hausbesitzer-101.html
Online xxup  
#12 Posted : 01 August 2021 11:48:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
200 Euros per year is VERY cheap insurance.. I pay over A$2,000 per year for my single house with no basement! And the only way my place will flood is if Noah has to return..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 01 August 2021 17:00:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It takes a huge effort not only by Govt., but the Red Cross, THW, national guard, army core of engineers, as here, utility companies, and private charities, churches, etc.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline roberts  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2021 22:03:20(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
The other thing I noticed is there is no cut off date for ordering. I guess when the number ordered gets to the maximum number they are prepared to produce it will just not allow any more to be ordered.

You were right. It’s already sold out.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roberts
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 02 August 2021 23:10:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

You were right. It’s already sold out.

ah well, that saves me making a decision on buying one ... Crying

Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 03 August 2021 00:11:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Their product page has this announcement on it ...

Quote:

In the course of our offer on Friday July 30th 21 we received inquiries, about the amount we would donate. It is therefore important to us to make it clear here that we will donate the entire net proceeds (= sales price 499.00 € minus VAT) of this action. In this way, no less than 210,000 € have been collected. We will announce the use of the donations shortly.

So it looks like the whole of the purchase price (less the VAT) is being donated, and Marklin are going to wear the cost of manufacture.

By my quick mental calculations that means there will be around 5000 locos produced (on top of the Insider ones).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Nigel Packer  
#17 Posted : 03 August 2021 09:32:56(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Their product page has this announcement on it ...

Quote:

In the course of our offer on Friday July 30th 21 we received inquiries, about the amount we would donate. It is therefore important to us to make it clear here that we will donate the entire net proceeds (= sales price 499.00 € minus VAT) of this action. In this way, no less than 210,000 € have been collected. We will announce the use of the donations shortly.

So it looks like the whole of the purchase price (less the VAT) is being donated, and Marklin are going to wear the cost of manufacture.

By my quick mental calculations that means there will be around 5000 locos produced (on top of the Insider ones).

No, five hundred, I think!

I did order one, as I think it has the potential to be quite a rare collectible item. And it’s (arguably) one of the silver-coloured series of locos that’s been going on for many years.

It’s a generous donation by Märklin, and I can understand the confusion about how much of the sale price was being donated. I’d assumed it was just the profit, not the whole retail price.

Nigel

Edited by user 03 August 2021 13:59:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline kimballthurlow  
#18 Posted : 05 August 2021 07:04:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
....It’s very nice of them to do this. As it must cost a great deal to produce these models, as all the sale cost is going to the disaster relief. Be nice to buy a wagon as well😆 I would have one of those 👍👍

Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

five hundred, I think!

I did order one, as I think it has the potential to be quite a rare collectible item. And it’s (arguably) one of the silver-coloured series of locos that’s been going on for many years.

It’s a generous donation by Märklin, and I can understand the confusion about how much of the sale price was being donated. I’d assumed it was just the profit, not the whole retail price.

Nigel

Yes Dan I agree - very nice of Märklin to do this.

Having family living in Germany I am acutely aware of the happenings in that country.
I am more attuned to that disaster because here in Australia severe flooding and torrential rainfall is something we live with on a yearly basis somewhere.
But the numeric loss of life in the Palatinate region disaster is staggering and painful for those bereaved.

Yes Nigel it does calculate to about 500 units.

As Dan correctly identified, the whole proceeds (not just the profit) is being donated, so I salute Märklin.
I wonder whether other entities in Germany are doing something similar.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 05 August 2021 08:38:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, it is honorable. Disasters bring out the best and worst in some people. The pandemic was also exemplary. Many volunteers stepped up to help. Even small businesses that were able to. Some which had too much debt prior to didn't survive. Others were very selfish and critical of the mask mandates, and restrictions on bars, restaurants, salons, gyms, etc.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 05 August 2021 10:09:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it is honorable. Disasters bring out the best and worst in some people. The pandemic was also exemplary. Many volunteers stepped up to help. Even small businesses that were able to. Some which had too much debt prior to didn't survive. Others were very selfish and critical of the mask mandates, and restrictions on bars, restaurants, salons, gyms, etc.

Regards the pandemic situation, I understand Märklin had to do some very drastic staffing and operational changes to comply with the health directives.
I don't know of one word of complaint from them.
Yes Märklin are very honourable in this exercise too.
But I do understand business to some extent.

If the Märklin turnover this year is approximately 110 million Euros, then the donation of 210,000 Euros is about two tenths percent (0.2%).
Companies routinely spend up to 3% of their turnover on advertising, though this depends on industry and local circumstance.

This expenditure would surely be justified within the company management on 3 levels:
1. the humanely philosophical level
2. the resultant publicity (advertising) level
3. the tax obligation deductability level

I applaud Märklin as before.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DasBert33  
#21 Posted : 05 August 2021 12:21:24(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   

Not everyone who is critical of the current situation is selfish! Please refrain from such oversimplifications. A society without questions and debate is in essence a dictatorship. Don't be surprised if it stays after the pandemic is over.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline marklinist5999  
#22 Posted : 05 August 2021 18:54:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Bert, I said not everyone was selfish. Did the black (beubonic) plague remain?
Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 05 August 2021 18:57:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Will it remain after the pandemic ends? Perhaps look to Cuba for that asnwer. Dictatorships always fail. One should never rulle over many. A good leader helps people lead themselves.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#24 Posted : 05 August 2021 20:44:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Will it remain after the pandemic ends? Perhaps look to Cuba for that asnwer. Dictatorships always fail. One should never rulle over many. A good leader helps people lead themselves.

Getting a bit close to the politics no-no area, be careful.

Offline marklinist5999  
#25 Posted : 05 August 2021 21:20:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Noted! Hope Dasbert does as well. I've studied some psych. A "similar" defensive response may be of guilt. People first is all I mean.
Example; I was grocery shopping this morning. I use a scan as I shop phone app. They have a designated checkout specifically for these users. A gal was there with her "SHYPT" T shirt on. That's a shopping/delivery service. She was on her phone (speaker)- chit chat-not a client, sipping her Starbucks Latte', and told the person she was speaking with she'd call her back. She wasn't using the APP, nor did she complete the order with her SHYPT card. She was abusing the policy to shop for herself. She noticed my expression of disgust and said; "Just so you know, you can go to any self scan checkout for the APP!" --------GUILTY defense response.
So I told her the other checkouts have lines where you should be. Selfish!!
So are people who text while driving. One dude slammed on his brakes in front of me in the middle of a rounbdabout. On his phone, in front of his face! You only yield to oncoming traffic when you first get to a rounbdabout. Once traffic is clear and you execute your turn, every oncomming driver then yields for you. No common courtesy. I was jogging and a younger guy pulled out in front of a gal. I yelled at him- "just pull out and cut her off"! She had the right of way! He called me weirdo and asked what my problem is. Values, ehtics, and courtesy I replied! Again, "You Weirdo!" I said don't tak to me like that punk! I'm older with more insurance. I'd flunk you in a driving test stat!
Many drivers alo don't yield to pedestrians. In this state, a pedestrian has the right of way in every marked crosswalk, wether it has a signal or not. One driver stopped for me, and the old man behind him blew his horn, and gave me the finger.
I have lost some of my faith in humanity. I had a conversation last week with a man who tild me it's hard to be white these days. I told him he was carmel himself, as an Italian descendant, and soon more and more people will be carmel. Not white, black, arab, indian, asian, Latino, or Mexican. He said he'd send them all back. he can have his prejudice bigotry, but can't fix ignorant stupidity.

Offline IanC  
#26 Posted : 05 August 2021 22:52:22(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
There's nothing wrong with a bit of sympathy, solidarity, empathy, charity, donating and giving; and co-operation, mutual self-help and support on which the 3rd or Voluntary and Community / NFP / NGO sector survives. Altruism is a good humanitarian instinct. If philanthropy and enlightened self-interest is the best that capitalism has to offer, I'll gratefully accept that too. Well done Marklin and Piko.

IanC (aka The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline kimballthurlow  
#27 Posted : 05 August 2021 23:23:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Has Märklin released a model number on this particular VT92.5 locomotive?

Kimball
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 06 August 2021 00:57:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Has Märklin released a model number on this particular VT92.5 locomotive?

Kimball

Yes, it is on the page that is linked to in the first post in this thread.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#29 Posted : 06 August 2021 09:48:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thank you Alan.

Are you by any chance a proof-reader in your day job? Cool
regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#30 Posted : 06 August 2021 10:02:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
On further thoughts regarding this locomotive, I note that the paint job is far less sophisticated than on the Insider VT92.5.
It appears it has the roof and skirt in a dark grey.
Then the clear coating over the natural casting colour of the body generally, and one further run of black print.

Which makes it less trouble and time than its red brother 39692 with the thin yellow striping and numbering.

Kimball
Offline kiwiAlan  
#31 Posted : 06 August 2021 13:38:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
On further thoughts regarding this locomotive, I note that the paint job is far less sophisticated than on the Insider VT92.5.
It appears it has the roof and skirt in a dark grey.
Then the clear coating over the natural casting colour of the body generally, and one further run of black print.

Which makes it less trouble and time than its red brother 39692 with the thin yellow striping and numbering.

Kimball

It is really part of the "metal Teknik" series that marklin has been running for the last 30 years.

I believe the loco does get a spray of silver paint, it is not just the bare metal. Then the roof and skirt will use the same masking as the Insider one. Then the logos will be tampon printed.

You can see the Insider ones on the production line in the most recent marklin video over here.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#32 Posted : 26 October 2021 23:18:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Follow up 25/10/2021

Today Märklin have updated the information on their Flood Relief efforts.
https://www.maerklin.de/de/lp/2021/flutopferhilfe

They have included projects that help the children of the region.
"The donation campaign initiated spontaneously by Märklin in July 2021 for victims of the flood disaster achieved an amount of € 210,000. Managing partner Florian Sieber and managing director Wolfrad Bächle presented a check for this amount to Malteser Cologne on Monday, October 25, 2021 in Göppingen, which will use the donation to rebuild day-care centers in the crisis areas of Rhineland-Palatinate and North Rhine-Westphalia."

Kimball
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow