Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2021 13:19:32(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have just spent several hours over two days re-assembling one of the bogies from a 8855 class BR 111 electric.
It started when test running several locos that had not been out for a while when I noticed that only one of the lights worked on this particular one. On removing the body I must have levered against the bogie frame and off it came shedding wheels, coupling and spring.
I have had several of these apart and back together in the past and although fiddly have managed OK.
This one was of the type where one end of the frame is hooked over a moulded bar and the other end snaps down over the coupling.
With this uncontrolled disassembly the coupling spring has been lost despite an extensive search and as I often do I superglued a new spring to the coupling.
The problem with this bogie was the frame consistently refused to hook over the bar and whilst simultaneously trying to keep the wheels in place with the pickups behind the flanges and the coupling in position trying to force it into position disturbed one or more of the other parts. I used a lot of oil hoping that would keep the parts in place and then mounted the bogie in a plastic vice to free up one hand. Even with the worm gear in place to stop the vice closing up the plastic it took many more attempts.
I suspect that the plastic parts have deformed over the years which made for the difficulties this time but I would like to know what sort of jigs they use in the factory to assemble these tiny locos.
HO locos are certainly much easier to maintain although the most difficult job I had was getting the lights to work on the all metal Rheingold HO stock.
ChrisG
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2021 06:47:23(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Sorry to hear about your situation. Believe me I have had the trucks just pop apart myself, in fact more than once I hate to tell you.

The BR 111 is a more common model, but I checked with Marklin’s parts website (for number 88551) and not all of the parts you would/might need are listed. I think the nylon plastic in these are the flexible type like used in catenary posts, strong and durable. If you think the part has been misshapen it would take an extreme situation to cause this. To hook together, all the various parts must be tucked inside and it is not easy to do.

Here are the parts listed for this model, but not much to see: (maybe production of spare parts is a lesser priority right now)

https://www.maerklin.de/...nummer=88551&lang=2. Usually a diagram is included but not on this one.

These trucks consist of a two piece frame and overlay such as you described and both pieces may need to be replaced. Only the front frame piece is listed. Called Getriebegehäuse #20 but it is not cheap.

Are both trucks faulty? Hopefully, the various gears and wheels can just be carried over but it would be good to check them for any wear or damage while you have them apart n Believe it or not, there is a front and rear part and they must be replaced correctly. Maybe you can find some used parts but I don’t know what sources you have available.

It is hard to believe these small locomotives can give such a handful of problems from time to time.

Best wishes.

Edited by user 29 July 2021 19:46:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme