Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ASz  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2021 20:36:04(UTC)
ASz

United Kingdom   
I have recently acquired the beautiful CSD Skoda Type 109 E locomotive (AC). While testing it on my layout it consistently derails on one of my 5140-R turnouts when going to the right. All my older analogue Märklin locomotives take the turn without a problem. Any suggestions for a fix?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2021 21:31:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ASz Go to Quoted Post
I have recently acquired the beautiful CSD Skoda Type 109 E locomotive (AC). While testing it on my layout it consistently derails on one of my 5140-R turnouts when going to the right. All my older analogue Märklin locomotives take the turn without a problem. Any suggestions for a fix?

Step one will be to make sure the bogie is free to turn far enough to take the turn. Also do a test turning the loco end for end to see if it still does it running the same route but with the loco running other end first.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ian M  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2021 22:43:06(UTC)
Ian M

United Kingdom   
Modern stock often has finer wheel profiles which can come to grief on some of the older M track points.

Cut a small strip of black electrical insulation tape and put it on the inside of the check rail - two thicknesses may be required.
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2021 01:12:52(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ian M Go to Quoted Post
Modern stock often has finer wheel profiles which can come to grief on some of the older M track points.

Some of mine have problems on C track points as well, with the three-ways being the worst offenders.

Maybe turnout running issues are a Märklin tradition? BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2021 12:32:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: ASz Go to Quoted Post

There may be possible problems:
- the switch has a large size lantern (pre-1970 time) wich are in the way of long vehicles
- the protecting rails (preventing wheels to jump over a frog) are not set properly. By these switches, these rails are made of a simple cut iron plate and attachment to the rail base is by a twisted tongue. It is easy to set it to the proper distance and fix it by twisting the tongues
- the mobile piece to set the direction (points) is not going fully home because of rust or bent edges
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline ASz  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2021 00:03:00(UTC)
ASz

United Kingdom   
Thanks everyone for the tips. Before acting on some of the ideas I ran another test with three carriages attached to the loco and it did not derail in the usual place. Some further testing is necessary.