Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2021 04:02:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
IMG_0906.jpgIMG_0908.jpg

My latest aquisition is this Marklin 8857 which I had to have mostly for the box art and to have a nice example of a 3 pole loco from "the good old days". This is actually my first 3 pole Marklin not counting my track cleaning car which may have one, not sure! But I don't run that except in an emergency ;)
I had to share because it is a very typical Z story.

IMG_0910.jpg

Not bad right? Cool loco and in "excellent" condition! Not so fast guys, this is Ebay after all...
I get the loco today and the precious Marklin packaging is completely crushed and ripped, and it wasn't in the addvert pictures. It had been stuffed into a box too small with way too much packing. Oh well. Its just a box...
I put the loco on the track and it runs, backwards. The lights only operate in one direction. The catenary are both wonky. Send it back and demand a refund? Bah! Too much trouble. I am Z Scale Man! Off comes the body. It's missing a bulb, the entire light bulb insert. But good news, I have one in my spares. So an hour later after installing a bulb insert, swapping the trucks, and performing surgery on the catenaries to straighten the same parts that are always bent by ham fisted poZers, I have a nice piece of history circling my track :)
I found the three pole motor works great if you don't expect it to start slowly or run at a crawl. The loco is surprisingly detailed and looks terrific IMHO.
Just another day in the life of a Z scale fanatic!

Edited by user 04 June 2021 00:22:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2021 07:41:01(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sometimes we are in store for a few surprises. Nice loco, and what is most important, it works after a few adjustments. And this after more that 40 years. Wow.

I am frequently amazed by these little gems. They keep going and going long past your expectations.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2021 07:42:30(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sometimes we are in store for a few surprises. Nice loco, and what is most important, it works after a few adjustments. And this after more that 40 years. Wow.

I am frequently amazed by these little gems. They keep going and going long past your expectations.

A 151 is a great puller!

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline wildstix  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2021 09:43:54(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Great piece! Anyways,
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
So an hour later after installing a bulb insert, swapping the trucks, and performing surgery on the catenaries to straighten the same parts that are always bent by ham fisted poZers, I have a nice piece of history circling my track :)

Uh oh...I may need to swap the trucks of my 8875. I got the instructions and dig some understanding on how to do it, but I need someone to show me how to do it. @husafreak would you be so kind to share a video of how to reattached the trucks after we take them off?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2021 15:26:38(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I could try but it is extremely easy. After removing the shell you see steel pins approximately 1.5mm diameter from the side of the truck at top. They secure the trucks to the frame and swivel with the trucks. Simply push them through the chassis with a pin or something, the truck will fall off. This is also a simple maintenance step as you will see a lot of gears in the truck and the worm drives in the chassis as well. A good time to oil. Be careful not to bend the contacts. Swap and reinstall the pins.
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2021 15:29:19(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
And yes it is fascinating to see how well these old locos were made. Not modern technology but solid and wonderfully designed. Toys “made in Germany” by great craftsman.
Offline zoooctan  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2021 17:02:56(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I have many locomotives and sets but I do also want to one day buy one of these "original ones" in these class box designs with a pipe. Already have the "other" three Marklin designs
1. Black and brown line
2. Black with prints
3. White box

Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2021 06:21:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. I followed your lead and purchased a BR 151 also (88572 Cargo).

Six driving axles! I have heard the Ludmilla, 232 type only have four as the center axles are just for appearances.

This one has the box with the image of the locomotive on it and the slide top. The box is less than perfect. A five pole I hope.

I read somewhere that the one clamshell box with the wood grain sides had two different images on it. I think the earliest one had the man and a boy and the more current one has a man and lady. Can anyone confirm this. If this I true, the earlier box could be hard to find.

Thanks for the idea

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2021 07:29:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
A lot of Marklin designs have axles which are higher so the wheels don’t actually touch the track on the non driving axles
Offline Mman  
#10 Posted : 19 June 2021 15:05:29(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have quite a few of the older 3 pole locos, most I think bought from a racing driver who had a stall in an antiques market just off Oxford Street in London. Some of these I re-motored with new 5 pole motors but the 8800 class BR 89 are constructed such that removing and replacing the armature is very difficult (for me anyway). One of the 8800s did not run well at all so when I acquired an 88052 - the class BR 89 in a ‘lightbulb’ mounted on a a piece of rock made to mark 30 years of Mini-club - I noted that the static loco was a 5 pole one. So I swapped two 89s over figuring the static one might just as well be a badly running 3 poler. In 2019 I came across two more of these 88052s brand new in a dealers in Vienna, I wish I’d bought them both!
I have noted before how much Mini-club sold second hand has never been used, especially track and accessories. Did people buy a lot with grand ideas which never came to fruition?
Another point made by husafreak is the state of the pantographs on some used locos. They used to be listed separately in the main catalogue but are now just a spare part which is definitely not cheap. Fortunately some Z enthusiasts use just the chassis of Mini-club locos and re-body them with British outline bodies and so the original bodies c/w pantographs come up on ebay from time to time and have been an inexpensive way of getting spare pantographs.
I don’t know what the life expectancy of the modern can motors is and personally don’t like non maintainable items.

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2021 19:57:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. I knew I had seen this, today I finally found it while looking for something else. Isn’t that always how it happens

UserPostedImage

If you find a model with the earlier box, it would certainly be a rare find.

Best wishes
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 15 July 2021 00:52:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

The 88572 was received and is an older design with a three pole motor.

It must be a good design because it runs well.

A great addition.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#13 Posted : 16 July 2021 21:25:05(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I looked up your loco 88572 in my Marklin Spur Z eBook, nice loco! I have the Rokuhan BR151. It says it was produced from 1999-2002. Marklin switched from 3 to 5 pole motors starting in 2000.
Offline Zme  
#14 Posted : 23 July 2021 23:22:24(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Thanks.

FYI. EBay USA has a BR 216 with a 1972 box and instruction pamphlet. Non-op and box is rough, but it is cheap right now if you are interested it is available for one more day.

Not certain what parts are available for this model. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

Take good care.

Dwight

I checked and this red and gray BR216 model appears in the 1972 catalog, the year of introduction.

Edited by user 24 July 2021 07:08:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline husafreak  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2021 18:15:59(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for the heads up. The bidding exceeded my limit for that loco though. I recently went through the eBook of Marklin trains and looked for many of them online. Wow, it is amazing what people are paying for Marklin Z scale these days! Especially the special edition type (MHI, Insider) single cars are valuable now. Costing more than new cars. I did get lucky with a Circus Barum 5 car set 8664 though. I saw it in the Marklin Insider. I can't remember if it was print or the DVD but it made a big impression on me so I'll post a picture of that when I get in on track.
Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 25 July 2021 20:23:27(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Yes you are correct, prices for z have escalated , but from my sources, the selections have diminished. I expect many are turning to their hobbies at this time and demand is high.

The circus set is a good one. I have that one also.

The collection book comes in handy when the information about a z item is needed. Between the eBook and the regular book, most items can be located. Your tip on translating has come in handy more than once.

Take good care. Post it, when you get it.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#17 Posted : 26 July 2021 04:10:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Glad to hear you have it and like it!