Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brian_BR96  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2021 01:37:29(UTC)
Brian_BR96

United States   
Hi all, just bought a 3607 off ebay for a great deal, and of course, I'm paying for it in the troubleshooting end. Not that this is my first, but I've come across something I don't know how to solve.

Out of the box, the drive wheels turn freely. I ran the locomotive on the track to get an idea of what it might need. After a couple laps the loco stopped moving, but the rotor would still spin - as if the gears were somehow misaligned.

I took it apart and found that the rotor shaft isn't quite long enough, such that it allows the geared side of the rotor to slide out of alignment with the drive gears. See the pic of the shaft inset in the plastic housing - my other locos with this motor type have the shaft protruding out of the housing on both ends

Rotor housing with inset shaft allowing lateral play

Also, this is my first digital loco (I have an analog layout (with white transformers don't worry)) and after the issue with the rotor I'm questioning whether this decoder is original. The headlights don't work. See pic

Decoder marked 6080

I have an unused 7180 hi propulsion pack I bought for another locomotive but could use for this, and I compared the lengths of the rotor shafts, and they are the same. So I took apart my T5 and compared the plastic housing of that with this T18, and they also look similar, with the same number "3" imprinted in the plastic.

Before I go and buy a replacement rotor, does anyone have any input on the matter? ANY information would be helpful
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2021 02:28:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Brian, it appears to be the correct Decoder for that model...

https://www.marklin-user.../t42039-3307-versus-3607

There's a link to the exploded view in that thread posted by Ivan but here it is again....

https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=3307&lang=1

The serial number sticker underneath should confirm the propulsion system.

But your issue with the Armature is a bit weird. My initial thought was wondering whether the Brush Plate is not sitting flush against the frame (or more accurately, against the magnet)?

If the brush plate is as flush as can be, really I can only think of two reasons for the Armature axle seeming to be too short;

1: The armature itself is incorrect
2: The field magnet is incorrect (too thick)

Would need to see a top-down view showing the brush plate snug against the magnet plates

Not sure if that helps or not.

Regards

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Brian_BR96  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2021 03:00:36(UTC)
Brian_BR96

United States   
Steve, thank you for the info on the decoder.

The armature issue IS weird. It seems that either the armature isn't spaced out enough or the field magnet is too wide. I suppose I'll have to throw some parts at it and see what happens.

I was wondering if the loco had been modified in some way over the years, and maybe we'd be able to pinpoint the issue by way of an errant modification
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2021 07:59:36(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I agree with cookee, that perhaps the brush plate is not flush with the rest.
But if it turns out to be the shaft of the armature that is too short, you might be able to fit a shim inside the brush plate, so that the armature won't move away from the gears.
Anyway, you need to open it up and inspect the gearing and armature. (show us photos)

Edited by user 25 July 2021 14:58:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2021 13:10:16(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Very Strange Indeed,
The first thing to do here is to get a pair of vernier calipers. Measure everything. Make some drawings and do the math. It will tell you exactly what the problem is and how to fix it the first time. Otherwise You will just be guessing, changing parts, wasting time.

Just my two cents.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Brian_BR96  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2021 14:45:41(UTC)
Brian_BR96

United States   
Ok Mike, thanks for that.

The brush plate IS flush with the magnet and motor housing, so I tried fitting the 5 pole rotor from the 7180 kit, and it fits perfectly. The rotor that came with this locomotive is a 3 pole, and I thought digital locos all had 5 pole rotors? Maybe this one predates that. My initial thought was that someone switched out the rotors.

I'm thinking I'll install the 5 pole kit I already own into this locomotive, as the reverse function is also a bit funky.
Offline eduard71  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2021 17:37:04(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Brian_BR96 Go to Quoted Post
Ok Mike, thanks for that.

The brush plate IS flush with the magnet and motor housing, so I tried fitting the 5 pole rotor from the 7180 kit, and it fits perfectly. The rotor that came with this locomotive is a 3 pole, and I thought digital locos all had 5 pole rotors? Maybe this one predates that. My initial thought was that someone switched out the rotors.

I'm thinking I'll install the 5 pole kit I already own into this locomotive, as the reverse function is also a bit funky.

Hi Brian,
As I can see, you have an old 6080 decoder in the locomotive. This kind of digital locomotive are from the first generation and they work with the same coil field as the analog ones. It is a kind of delta decoder with 80 numbers. No five poles it comes with the standard 3 poles motor.
In Analog these old digital locomotives will not turn on the lights.

Regarding the issue, you say the motor spins, but no movement comes, It is very rare since this armature is a kind of standard and should be the same as any other. please review if there is any plastic or if you are missing a screw, there should be two.
In order to help we need more photos of the motor disassembled.

Regards
Eduardo
Offline Brian_BR96  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2021 17:53:53(UTC)
Brian_BR96

United States   
Eduardo, thank you for the information about the 6080 decoder's functionality. I was unsure if there were different versions of rotors. Either way I installed my 5 pole kit and now the locomotive runs beautifully. Very smooth with no issue reversing, and the lights work!