Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2021 11:26:16(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all

I am fortunate to be visiting Switzerland for a month and I have found a website advertising SBB Historic Journeys.
I am planning to take the San Gottardo Adventure train on Saturday 10th July.
If there are any Marklin Users who will be in Switzerland at this time, please make contact to meet with me and to enjoy this journey together.

San Gottardo Adventure Train

The “San Gottardo Adventure Train” is expected to make its way south from Erstfeld at around 10 a.m. Thanks to the spiral tunnels, the train gains considerably in height as far as Göschenen. Enjoy the famous views of the famous church of Wassen on this stage. After the stop in Göschenen, the historic train travels through the world-famous, over 100-year-old Gotthard tunnel into Ticino with stops in Airolo and Faido. In Bodio, the historic locomotive, either the Ce 6/8 II 14253 “Crocodile” (built in 1919) or the Ae 6/6 11411 “Zug” (built in 1955), is harnessed to the other side of the train. Because after this maneuver, it's back to the north and the Gotthard area. There is a breather for the historic locomotive, the train staff and the passengers at lunchtime in Lavorgo.

Even if you will not be able to make this journey, I would still be delighted to meet up with any Marklin Users while I am in Switzerland.
PM me for details of my location, dates, etc

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2021 17:42:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here is a more complete listing of the offerings: https://www.sbbhistoric....ten/erlebnisfahrten.html

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2021 19:52:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
A tour like this is also on our travel bucket list. The Gotthardto panorma train, also the BLS, The Chunnel, France, Germany, Miniatur Wunderland, Italy, etc. via a Eurorail pass, etc.
We don't wish to eat much frozen prepared meals though. Some tours use a lot, and I realize that like on planes, a train has a limited kitchen.
Our neighbors went to Europe a few years ago, and only had one good meal at a finer restaurant with their tour. The rest was typical convenience food, and burgers.
I recently saw an add for a 5 day all inclusive European rail tour for $20,000 US. per person. Seems steep. I'm fine with doing air B-n-B's. hostels, and buying food for lunch at a local
market and eating in parks.
Offline costing  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2021 20:42:48(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Another one that I enjoyed a lot: https://www.rhb.ch/en/wo...torical-trips#highlights
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by costing
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2021 03:01:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When I was in Switzerland in 2019, I enjoyed a green curry beef meal on the Zentralbahn between Interlaken and Luzern. It was not cooked on the train, but was reheated, but I had no complaints about it. If you want fine dining on a train, check out the VSOE or similar. I had no problem buying Genoa salami sandwiches at the station and eating it on the train as I travelled either.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2021 03:05:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
These trips can be interesting if you want to ride on a train pulled by an Ae 6/6 or Crocodile. If scenery is more your thing, take the SOB Treno Gottardo and plan on making a stop somewhere to catch the historic train go by and then hop on the next SOB train to continue your trip south. I definitely enjoy it each time I take the Gotthard to Locarno, catching Lunch there before heading on to Domodossola via the Centovalli and then on to Brig and points beyond. You can easily do the run south and then back through the Simplon and Loetschberg route to overnight in Spiez, Thun or Interlaken, from where you can check out some passes and then head off either by MGB from Andermatt or by Zentralbahn to Luzern and back to Central Switzerland.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2021 14:06:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If scenery is more your thing, take the SOB Treno Gottardo ...

Keep an eye on your TV listings for a series 'Scenic Railway Journeys of the World'. The had an episode doing this trip.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan