Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2021 15:42:07(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello friends. Another video from me if you don't mind.
I model both in analogue and DCC, and for a long time had to do things the hard way with soldering. Then some 11 years ago, I discovered Velmo.
For those who do not know of Claudius Veit, I cannot recommend him highly enough. I have bought so many decoders from him and the man is a gentleman.

Claudius makes drop-in decoders for Marklin Z locomotives so for those that do not know, this means that all you have to do is replace the original Marklin circuit board. Sometimes there are directions for removing or adding an extra screw as well.

Some years ago, Claudius upped his game and actually created SOUND decoders. These are not cheap but if you like Z and DCC and SOUND...there aren't that many options for a drop-in solution.
And it just so happens that I love the German (Russian made) huge monster diesels BR 232 and 234, known as Ludmilla.

Here is a short video to show my small fleet, all outfitted with Velmo's sound decoders.

https://youtu.be/DJgNGLJqQhY
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2021 15:51:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
So do I use both ana.-digi. I had to solder just now a smll led terminal which broke off a wire. I will have a peek at his video.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2021 16:57:53(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Great video. Loved the multiple locos traveling together and the very authentic sounds. The "Ludmilla" is a very cool loco! I have the 81451, a yellow BR233 "Tiger" from a set. I am sure it is the same as the 232 0r 234 chassis.

The Velmo SDS161388-B decoders do not appear to be available in the US, at least not this one. 1zu220-shop won't ship to us. There is Case Hobbies in England which may or may not, and also Eurorail Hobbies in Canada which might be able to get them. Sort of unobtainable!
I DCC my North American locos and Leave the European Marklin stuff DC but this is such a neat thing it might be worth doing just for fun. Even if it would run in the wrong environment. Do you know if this Velmo decoder can operate on DC as well? Without the sound of course...
Offline zoooctan  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2021 17:50:26(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hi there. Wow thanks for all the comments. Actually I "ahem" have the Tiger locomotive you refer to as well. It is indeed a Ludmilla too but this particular model is a troublesome one for me. For some reason, the wheels turn and motor powers okay but I get no traction whatsoever. But that is a topic for another thread.

Important answers.
1. YES the Velmo decoders work on analogue. By default they are set to run on analogue circuits. In fact, as a PRO TIP to anyone who's new to decoder installation, I would always recommend that you try out your new DCC locomotive decoder (provided you know it is analogue compatible by default of course) on an analogue track first, before you try it on your digital one. My own experience is that the analogue circuit is much more forgiving. If you connections are loose or not in contact with the motor wires, the locomotive will just not move. You can then troubleshoot. However if you try this out on a digital layout, if the contacts are not secured and there is no closed loop, there is a high chance you build up heat VERY FAST in the decoder with the potential of ruining it.

2. I'm not sure if this is an option for friends in the US, but why not try to buy Velmo decoders directly from Claudius himself via Velmo.de? This is what I've been doing for a long time (the only way). He accepts PayPal and he even deducts 19% off the prices since there is no VAT if you're not from the EU. He ships directly to me in Singapore so I imagine he would to most other countries. Why not try that?

3. Finally if you're sure you're not going to be running the sound part, then go for the cheaper decoder option of just a "normal" drop-in decoder. This is much more cheaper than the sound ones. I actually recommend this if this is your first try with Velmo but really it is quite easy to install - I mean I manage to do it :) And I'm really, really bad with electronics.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2021 23:47:32(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Claudius stopped shipping to the US a while ago. I get very jealous when I see "check out my awesome Velmo decoder" posts like yours. LOL

He has his reasons; it just sucks.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2021 22:04:59(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks Frank, no "wild goose chase" for me then.

Thanks zoooctan. I am not interested solely in DCC'ing my BR233. I would have done it for the sensation of a drop in sound decoder though, as a one off. FWIW my "Tiger" was also difficult, one of my first Z scale Ebay purchases and even though it was sold as new it arrived with a broken brush and obviously had been tampered with, ugh, so I fixed it.
Offline blid  
#7 Posted : 11 June 2021 22:30:00(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
If you do want a diesel with sound, Freudenreich, https://fr-model.eshop.t-online....p;PageSize=30&Page=2, have the Nohab TMY/MY. The decoder board is from Velmo as far as I know. He ships to UK and I couldn't find anything saying that he doesn't ship to to the US. Email in English are OK.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 11 June 2021 22:49:14(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Ah, well, that is far out of my price range but a nice loco for sure. It was well covered in Trainini I think.
Offline zoooctan  
#9 Posted : 12 June 2021 04:30:35(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello everyone, first of all. I am sorry to hear that Velmo does not ship to the US. I had no idea about this.
I suppose, I've been privileged to enjoy this service. If anyone ever needs any help please let me know...although, I don't think it's very practical for purchases to be done routed from DE -> SG -> US!
FWIW...I had a BAD accident last night with one of my Ludmillas (Railion). I dropped it!

Both couplers game undone and broke. One spring is missing and two of the buffers are damaged. I think it still runs fine but am pretty upset with the damage as it was entirely my fault.
These fellas are pretty fragile despite being big diesel beasts! I must say I've done much worse before to my Re 460s - and they are quiet giants...and just carry on!

Well..with my Railion on in sickbay...I may have to find the time to interchange parts with my permanent patient Tiger...and see what can be done. If not, I may have to enquire about costs of new Ludmilla trucks. The worse thing is the cosmetic damage done to the buffers cause I know that is damage that may be mended but never made whole.
Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2021 04:41:23(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Oooh, I hate it when I break my toys!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak