Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2021 09:54:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hey all, it has been suggested that I add weight to inhibit derailing of longer cars. There isn't much room in them due to the led lighting boards. Any ideas?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2021 10:17:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hey all, it has been suggested that I add weight to inhibit derailing of longer cars.
I didn't add weight to any of my coaches and I don't have problems, not even with 1:87 coaches (303 and 316 mm). The 282 mm cars are 1:93.5 or 1:97.
I guess adding weight is a workaround for track problems, coupler problems, buffer problems, other problems.

The weight should be added at the bottom. Between frame and interior details would be the best place, but room is limited. Under the frame is another option, but it might be visible from low viewpoints. Above the interior details on the floor is another option, but the weights may have to be painted to make the less visible.

Do you have problems with all coaches or just with some?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2021 10:32:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks for replying ho. Problem with longer cars. I have ironed out a couple spots with pillar shims to raise the outer curves. Will test run later today. The intercity cars are brand new, and even doing it on r3 level track. A fellow in Stuttgart had issues with the Swiss Gotthard panoramic coaches and added weight. Also his Linit rail car.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2021 10:33:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Also the pilot truck on my new br38. It's better now that I increased the tension on the spring, but not 100%.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2021 11:49:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
A fellow in Stuttgart had issues with the Swiss Gotthard panoramic coaches and added weight.
Are these coaches in ~1:100? The trucks on my Märklin SBB coaches also give me headaches, but that is specific to these coaches. I prefer to remove the grates from the plastic parts and assemble the trucks properly before I add weight.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2021 13:10:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think so Tom. Intericity cars are 11 1/8 inches. The start up ones are 10 5/8", and still derail, even not coupled with the longer new ones.
Some of the Marklin SBB panorama cars are shorter at 10 5/8". A Roco SBB panorama express coach is 1/87 exact and comes in at 11 7/8" if not a total foot. I have one, another first class coach on order, and it's not any worse for tracking thr rails. It seems heavier. Marklin was making 1/110 9 5/8", and 1/100 10 1/4" scale cars for so long because they handled M track and tighter radius curves on layouts restrticted to length due to room size. Now many want longer trains and M is catching up with Piko and Roco.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2021 18:49:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The SBB EC and EWIV coaches are 1/100 scale length [264mm] (4367, 43651, etc). They should not have any issues with derailing. It is possible that there may be a damaged coupler or inhibited coupling shaft which may be causing an abnormal issue, but on the whole, these coaches should be trouble free.
Make sure that the following are not impeding operation:

1) Make sure that the coupling shaft can shift from right to left and reverts to centre
2) Make sure that the coupler is properly inserted into the shaft and is not impeded by the coach body or the buffers.
3) Check to see that all buffers are properly positioned. If using R1, you may want to push the buffers into their receded position (option).
If the coach has lighting or has been opened:
4) Make sure that the metal plate above the coupling mechanism is secured in it's place.
5) Make sure that the power lead (for current conducting couplers) is properly in place
6) If equipped with ground return contacts, make sure that the contact is not interfering with the movement of the coupling shaft.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2021 19:02:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When it comes to Maerklin, here are the common scale lengths used by the company and referred to by modellers:

Tin Plate (1960s/1970s): 24cm (240mm)
Plastic (1970s to 1985): UIC-X and TEE coaches, etc 270mm*
Plastic (1985 to 2015): UIC-Z (Eurofima and other) 264mm (1/100)**
Plastic (new); UIC-X, UIC-Z, etc 282mm**/***

* The original plastic coaches had classic couplings and bogies with a centre pivot
** With the introduction of close coupling mechanisms, Maerklin began manufacturing models with offset pivot bogies, meaning that the bogie does not rotate on the centre, but from closer to the rear (inside), meaning that there is less visible overhang in curves and allowing longer coaches to operate on tighter radii.
*** At some point post 2000, a decision was made that all models with a length of less than 24m would be rendered in exact scale, while longer models like the 26.4m UIC-X and others would be rendered in a scale length of 282mm. For most of the models, this means a scale length of 1:93.5, but it has been pointed out that some prototypes are longer but the models are still rendered in 282mm, so it is not accurate to describe all models as having that ratio for scale length.

Roco has many models in exact scale 1/87 (303mm) and longer. They do have some models in 1/93, largely based on old Fleischmann designs and a handful of models still in 1/100 (Hobby)
LSM, ACME, etc are all in exact scale 1/87

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2021 19:13:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's Mike C! I don't have any Marklin SBB passenger cars, only Roco. I did have one current conducting coupler upside down because the hook fell off, and I re arttached it upside down. All buffers on the 10 5/8" i.c. cars are uadjusted in. I am now able to run them at least on the large level oval of C R2, and R3. Still an issue with one if not two ramp approaches out of turnouts. I got some Pinewood derby flat stick on weights, so we'll see later on. I'm working on my Bietsch valley plaster armature today.
Micha, the young man in Stuutagrt has Marklin SBB cars, and is an excellent builder. He has C track, and some hand done from polymer ties. His catenary is also well done. He cuts his clarences as close as possible, and they all look very protypical.
Offline Gregor  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2021 12:10:16(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi all,

I agree that the source of derailments is often somewhere else. Nevertheless I have added weights in some cases to solve the final issues. Or prevent slipping and increase traction force a bit.
In an attempt to place the weight as low as possible I had some good results in placing the weight inside the bogie.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 10 June 2021 15:53:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I got some metal pinewood derby weights and painted them grey to match the car interiors. They are stick on and fit in the end corridors or behind the end doors. Made a difference!