Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2021 23:14:39(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have been asked by a friend, who has email but struggles with stuff like forms, to post some images and get your thoughts.

He has a 30000, which is a start-up Class 89 Steamer.

The short blurb is that it has a problem with smooth running and shorting on curved points. It runs well on straight track.

He has a theory that the front axle bush is not in the correct place allowing the loco to get sideways on the track.. (his words not mine - not the same as doing drifting on a race track in a Toyota Supra).

He has gone to a lot of trouble to take some photos and measurements. I don't have a 30000 and I most certainly do not use C-track, so I am looking for comments from anyone else on the forum, who has a 30000 and uses c-track with curved points.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2021 23:34:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I have been asked by a friend, who has email but struggles with stuff like forms, to post some images and get your thoughts.

He has a 30000, which is a start-up Class 89 Steamer.

The short blurb is that it has a problem with smooth running and shorting on curved points. It runs well on straight track.

He has a theory that the front axle bush is not in the correct place allowing the loco to get sideways on the track..

UserPostedImage

Well, I don't have one, but I would certainly think that the 1.9mm movement is excessive, I would expect it to be more like the other end. The center axle side play seems reasonable so it negotiate tight radii (I would expect it to negotiate the M track industrial radius, so less than R1).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dominator  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2021 23:43:48(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Adrian,. The pick up shoe on my 43973 coach set hits the guide rail on my 24671 points in my test track and shorts out. Same problem but nothing can be done about it. The shoe is a short one as well.

Your friend is right. In the case of this 30000 loco, I suggest he get some thicker copper wire and clip it around [ like a circlip ] the axle to reduce the side play in the area shown. The front and rear axle should have only the minimum side play on that loco. Only the middle one should have the extra side play. That was one of the fixes I used on those three little diesels I got of you. Cured the problem.

All the best.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline revmox  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2021 12:32:18(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I'm the person with the original issue.

The comments above pretty much confirmed my suspicion that the front axle had way too much side play – to the point where the connecting rods screws were hitting the piston rods.

I have a full machine workshop so it wasn’t much trouble to make the front axle position and side play match the rear axle.

Tested for only an hour but now it's a much happier lok. Runs much smoother and quieter with no shorts on the curved points.

But then, the other brand new 36740 lok I have also won't go through a curved point in some directions because the sharp edge of the simple skid dips down and plows into the C track studs and the lok comes to sudden stop with the wheels just spinning (sigh)!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2021 05:37:28(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Make sure the shoe is mounted true to the centre line. I noticed with the passenger coach set I have mentioned above, that there is a plastic widening shoe mounted on top [ or part of ] of the pick up shoe, which is probably meant to avoid the problem you are having. Sounds like you have the capabilities to make up such a devise for your loco. Same set up as the 30000 with an extra 2 wheels in front that are there for looks only.
All the best.

Dereck

IMG_20210527_153609.jpg
A bit blurry but I think you can see what I am getting at.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline revmox  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2021 05:58:22(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Thanks dominator, that's an excellent idea. I did set the centre alignment of the shoe carefully and, after fixing the sideplay issue, the shorting problem on the 30000 no longer occurs. If it comes up again I guess I could quickly chunk something out on the 3D printer to test the idea. But, better than that, it might be part of the solution to the drama I am having with the pickup on the 36740 on curved points. Thanks again.