Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wildstix  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2021 10:36:29(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hi everyone! I hope you're doing well.

I have a question, pretty basic I believe, about how to properly store our trains, especially the locomotives. So, if you'd be so kind, would you please share your idea/method along with some pictures with me here?
My situation is, I don't have the original boxes for the trains and the tracks anymore and after years of not using them, I started again this year and planning to build my collection. My concern now is I may not properly store my locomotives and I know that the Z locomotives are prone to issues if we don't store them properly.
Long story short, my locomotives are just returning from Marklin repair at Göppingen and I don't want them to get problems again simply because I don't keep them properly when not in use.
I've google-d this question and searched it here too, but, CMIIW, nothing particular on properly storing the Marklin trains, especially the locomotives.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing some ideas, thank you in advance for sharing and helping me to find out. 🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2021 12:33:03(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
One possible solution: https://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/

Carim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2021 16:59:06(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I would guess that keeping them dry is the first step. I do know that there are dehumidifiers available and in particular there are palm sized chemical filled packets made to put in guitar cases that would be a good size to use in a box of Z scale trains.
In long term storage the oil in the locos will flow down with gravity and end up wherever that is, so better off wheels down so at lest they are lubricated.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2021 21:47:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

When I think of storage, I also think of convenient display and I like the ideas already presented. I expect you have some extreme environmental concerns there with high humidity a concern. It is likely very difficult to influence this aspect of the situation. I believe a properly cleaned and oiled locomotive helps prevent the impacts of the humidity you likely experience. With the Marklin lubricants “wheels down” is a good rule. Over time this lubricant tends to thicken and will lock up the drive wheels and gears (harden oil syndrome). The lighter synthetic oils don’t do this, but it still a good idea to follow the wheels down rule. Would will notice some seeping so expect this.

For display and storage if you can, see if a commercial display cabinet is available. Many times when business close they sell the sales displays for cheap, and these cabinets could make a good storage container for your collection. You did not mention how large your collection is, but you might find a appropriately sized cabinet someplace. Fishing equipment, or sunglass display cabinets or maybe you might run into a hobby store closing and find a good point of sale display. Just make certain it is convenient to get your locomotives and running stock in and out. Z Weekly did an article on Marklin display cabinets a while back and pointed out how inconvenient it is to get to your collection and still have it viewable. It might need to be placed in the middle of the room. A definite negative but let’s face it, they are out there, but what is the likelihood your going to pick one up. I have seen huge vendor cabinets listed on German EBAY for over 5000 EUR. I wouldn’t think this would be a hard to sell item, but I have seen it there for over a year now. No they will not ship to USA. Nice item though.

To tell my story, I picked up an Under Armor sunglass display cabinet when a sporting goods store went out of business. It is like a wall locker on casters with plexiglass windows on three sides. It has lights and is lockable. With a few modifications, it works for me. Most of the items I put in there are boxed so the are easy to organize and still display. It is mostly dry here so I have less worry about this issue but dust/dirt is more a problem. Without the box, perhaps some track pieces could be placed in the bottom or on shelves and your collection placed on these.

Here is a link to the Z Weekly article if you are interested.

https://ztrainsweekly.com/category/displays/

It also has a discussion about the wall type shelve units, but I would encourage having a soft landing place below, if you should drop one. They break easily and are never quite right after that. With my luck, the entire cabinet would drop destroying everything inside. I’m sure you can tell I have dropped a few things over the years and it is heartbreaking.

I hope I have given you a few ideas, let us know what you come up with. Storage of a collection is an important concern.

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2021 12:45:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: wildstix Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone! I hope you're doing well.

I have a question, pretty basic I believe, about how to properly store our trains, especially the locomotives. So, if you'd be so kind, would you please share your idea/method along with some pictures with me here?
My situation is, I don't have the original boxes for the trains and the tracks anymore and after years of not using them, I started again this year and planning to build my collection. My concern now is I may not properly store my locomotives and I know that the Z locomotives are prone to issues if we don't store them properly.
Long story short, my locomotives are just returning from Marklin repair at Göppingen and I don't want them to get problems again simply because I don't keep them properly when not in use.
I've google-d this question and searched it here too, but, CMIIW, nothing particular on properly storing the Marklin trains, especially the locomotives.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing some ideas, thank you in advance for sharing and helping me to find out. 🙏

Hi
The key I think is not so much the box (mechanical protection only) but the protection against large temperature fluctuations and humidity.
This opinion is based on the fact that there is a lot of Zinkpest to be observed in the US compared with Europe (where temperatures are much more stable and lower)
So avoid storage under the roof or in the cellar
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2021 15:06:18(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
When I have the box: in the box, wheels down.

Without box:
Cardboardbox, juwelcase,... And always with the wheels down.

Mostly with a small piece of tissue to capture oil drip!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline wildstix  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2021 19:00:00(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for all your inputs! They are really helpful for me to decide how am I going to store my trains properly.

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
One possible solution: https://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/

Carim

Thanks for the info, Carim! Unfortunately they don’t have product for Z gauge. But I know Märklin enthusiasts in Indonesia who would love to have them.

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I would guess that keeping them dry is the first step. I do know that there are dehumidifiers available and in particular there are palm sized chemical filled packets made to put in guitar cases that would be a good size to use in a box of Z scale trains.
In long term storage the oil in the locos will flow down with gravity and end up wherever that is, so better off wheels down so at lest they are lubricated.

Honestly, I never knew that! Thank you for the advice @husafreak

Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello hope all is well.

When I think of storage, I also think of convenient display and I like the ideas already presented. I expect you have some extreme environmental concerns there with high humidity a concern. It is likely very difficult to influence this aspect of the situation. I believe a properly cleaned and oiled locomotive helps prevent the impacts of the humidity you likely experience. With the Marklin lubricants “wheels down” is a good rule. Over time this lubricant tends to thicken and will lock up the drive wheels and gears (harden oil syndrome). The lighter synthetic oils don’t do this, but it still a good idea to follow the wheels down rule. Would will notice some seeping so expect this.

For display and storage if you can, see if a commercial display cabinet is available. Many times when business close they sell the sales displays for cheap, and these cabinets could make a good storage container for your collection. You did not mention how large your collection is, but you might find a appropriately sized cabinet someplace. Fishing equipment, or sunglass display cabinets or maybe you might run into a hobby store closing and find a good point of sale display. Just make certain it is convenient to get your locomotives and running stock in and out. Z Weekly did an article on Marklin display cabinets a while back and pointed out how inconvenient it is to get to your collection and still have it viewable. It might need to be placed in the middle of the room. A definite negative but let’s face it, they are out there, but what is the likelihood your going to pick one up. I have seen huge vendor cabinets listed on German EBAY for over 5000 EUR. I wouldn’t think this would be a hard to sell item, but I have seen it there for over a year now. No they will not ship to USA. Nice item though.

To tell my story, I picked up an Under Armor sunglass display cabinet when a sporting goods store went out of business. It is like a wall locker on casters with plexiglass windows on three sides. It has lights and is lockable. With a few modifications, it works for me. Most of the items I put in there are boxed so the are easy to organize and still display. It is mostly dry here so I have less worry about this issue but dust/dirt is more a problem. Without the box, perhaps some track pieces could be placed in the bottom or on shelves and your collection placed on these.

Here is a link to the Z Weekly article if you are interested.

https://ztrainsweekly.com/category/displays/

It also has a discussion about the wall type shelve units, but I would encourage having a soft landing place below, if you should drop one. They break easily and are never quite right after that. With my luck, the entire cabinet would drop destroying everything inside. I’m sure you can tell I have dropped a few things over the years and it is heartbreaking.

I hope I have given you a few ideas, let us know what you come up with. Storage of a collection is an important concern.

Best wishes

Dwight

Wow! Thank you for your insight, Dwight!
Yes, you have guessed it right! I do have extreme environmental concerns and the chief of them is the humidity. Thank you for also elaborating the “wheels down” rule. I will surely share what I come up with as soon as I get all the things I need.

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
The key I think is not so much the box (mechanical protection only) but the protection against large temperature fluctuations and humidity.
This opinion is based on the fact that there is a lot of Zinkpest to be observed in the US compared with Europe (where temperatures are much more stable and lower)
So avoid storage under the roof or in the cellar
Jean

Yes Jean, this is exactly what I’m facing. I managed to keep the temperature from fluctuating so much but humidity is one problem tough to beat. Thank you for the advice tho…I will keep them close to me then.

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
When I have the box: in the box, wheels down.

Without box:
Cardboardbox, juwelcase,... And always with the wheels down.

Mostly with a small piece of tissue to capture oil drip!

Sweet!!! I love the tissue tips! Thank you again for sharing your inputs!
Because this will be an ever evolving matter, please keep those suggestions and inputs coming! I'm sure it will benefits us all. 🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2021 21:30:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: wildstix Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post

Honestly, I never knew that! Thank you for the advice @husafreak

My father knew a guy who lived in Fiji, and to keep his camera from growing fungi on the lens in the high humidity he kept his camera equipment in a cupboard with a 15W 'pygmy' light bulb in the bottom left on 24 hours. This elevated the temperature and reduced the humidity enough that he had no problems.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline blid  
#9 Posted : 18 May 2021 21:34:43(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Train-safe have tubes for Z as well. I have the Basic version. However, I don't think they help if you have a problem with humidity.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2021 01:23:35(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. I am totally unfamiliar with the problem of excessively high humidity. I can make this suggestion anyway and hope you would consider it.

Find these plastic containers which have a seal on them and locking snap tabs. These might be found in sporting goods stores for fishing lures or tackle. Before snapping them tight, place some desiccant packets inside. I would find small individual containers for your actual locomotives and place these inside the larger container. I reuse the plastic snap containers ear plugs are sold in. Might work, perhaps not, but give it a try. This is something you may have to experiment with to find the right setup.

I could see where a low watt light bulb would work too, but everything is LED now, and I am not certain the same drying effect would be possible.

Best wishes.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2021 03:56:41(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. It occurred to me, the obvious is to get a dehumidifier, for use in your train room. In my area, I had to get a HEPA filter for dust.

This may sound weird, but there are small plastic tubes (like a large plastic test tube) which have a screw type cap to hold liquids. I encountered them where medical testing was taking place. A sample was placed in this container and it was sent to a lab to analyze. Most z engines will fit in these, you could put your collection inside some of these. Just need to add some foam to protect your couplers. These may be available from cosmetic suppliers. Medical suppliers might be a source.

I have two and when I work on an engine, I put the cleaned parts in these so they don’t get lost. It would be possible this type of container would work too. Especially in a room with a dehumidifier to remove that moisture you have around.

Just a word of advice, avoid metal containers as they may trigger reactions between the metals.

Best wishes again

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline zoooctan  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2021 04:27:00(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello there, I live in Singapore so not so far from Jakarta!
Others have given you very good advice about keeping your locomotives standing up and using areas where there is less humidity.
I was once told by a shop owner to make sure I also run each locomotive at least once a year...just to keep them running. Makes sense I guess when they are miniature engines!

What I'd like to share is that I'm sure you have Ikea in Indonesia.

If you do, check this out - it is called Alex.
https://www.ikea.com/sg/...ned-oak-effect-30473535/

I love it cause I took the time to measure it and found that it is the precise height of most of the Z scale boxes.
There are "taller" drawers below which can then be used to store your accessories, tracks or those Marklin boxes which are double in height such as 81593.
Here are some pictures of how I store my trains.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline wildstix  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2021 12:11:31(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
My father knew a guy who lived in Fiji, and to keep his camera from growing fungi on the lens in the high humidity he kept his camera equipment in a cupboard with a 15W 'pygmy' light bulb in the bottom left on 24 hours. This elevated the temperature and reduced the humidity enough that he had no problems.

Man! That one surely is fighting the extreme with the extreme. But hey, I might try that too in the future. Thank you for sharing @kiwiAlan 🙏

Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
Train-safe have tubes for Z as well. I have the Basic version. However, I don't think they help if you have a problem with humidity.

Sorry, I was revering to the one that I think might work for my situation, Train-Safe Travel. Based on its construction, I believe it’s also able to handle the humidity problem. But yes, they do have the other types for Z. Sorry for my incomplete statement 😥

@Zme
Dwight, thank you for sharing more info! That plastic tube test is one great idea! As for now, I already got a plastic container and the compartments are just on the right size for Z trains. It might fit the plastic tube test as well if I want to be really safe with the locomotives.

Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post
Hello there, I live in Singapore so not so far from Jakarta!
Others have given you very good advice about keeping your locomotives standing up and using areas where there is less humidity.
I was once told by a shop owner to make sure I also run each locomotive at least once a year...just to keep them running. Makes sense I guess when they are miniature engines!

What I'd like to share is that I'm sure you have Ikea in Indonesia.

If you do, check this out - it is called Alex.
https://www.ikea.com/sg/...ned-oak-effect-30473535/

I love it cause I took the time to measure it and found that it is the precise height of most of the Z scale boxes.
There are "taller" drawers below which can then be used to store your accessories, tracks or those Marklin boxes which are double in height such as 81593.
Here are some pictures of how I store my trains.

Hello neighbor!!!
Gosh, I don’t have that many yet, but I have committed to grow my collection and I love your idea with that drawer unit as one of the ways for me to store my collection in the future. I can imagine my future “locker” from combining all the ideas shared here, truly helpful! Thank you for the pics, really appreciate them! 🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix