Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wildstix  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2021 10:25:29(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hi folks,

This is officially my first post here (excluding the one in the intro). I have a notoriously difficult case due to availability and where I live.

So I have Marklin 8102 Bavarian Express train set with 8892 as the engine. I sent them to Marklin for repair, but they said the motor for 8892 is discontinued and therefore they can not help me repair the engine.
I then did research and found out that the part number for the motor I need for my 8892 is 261900 or 211909 (yes I know the difference). So far, I can't find that motor.
However, I found what might be an alternative. The 88923 has the same built as 8892 and I found its motor, 279332.
So my question is, can I replace my 8892 motor with 88923's? Attached is the picture of my 8892

Thank you before and cheers!

IMG_0227.jpeg
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2021 11:09:35(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I believe that the 8892 loco came with the 261900 3-pole motor. You can replace it with the 5-pole motor 211909; I see that some of those are available online.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline wildstix  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2021 15:54:38(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
I believe that the 8892 loco came with the 261900 3-pole motor. You can replace it with the 5-pole motor 211909; I see that some of those are available online.

Carim

Thank you for your tips! I actually just learned also that I can use 211911 for my engine. Practically it is the one more compatible with 8892...the hardest part is, still no luck in finding that motor. Can anyone please kindly share where I might be able to find 211911 motor? 😌

Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2021 12:54:30(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi Wildstix,
Check this out it may work for you
https://www.ebay.com/itm...ca801:g:jpgAAOSw-~Jgbxjz

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline wildstix  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2021 13:04:43(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Wildstix,
Check this out it may work for you
https://www.ebay.com/itm...ca801:g:jpgAAOSw-~Jgbxjz

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Thank you for the info! I will keep this in case 211911 is not working out with my 8992 😊🙏
Yes, I finally found 211911 motor and it will come next month.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline wildstix  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2021 11:42:54(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hi again folks!

So the update for this motor hunting is:
I have successfully replaced the old motor with the new one (211911). It was a perfect fit and the only thing I need to remove to accommodate the new capacitor is the countersunk screw.
However, I'm running into a weird problem. My locomotive is not moving smoothly on the track (I tried it on the new track), but when I connect the cables from the controller directly to the wheels, everything runs fine and smoothly.
I'm sorry that I don't have pics or videos to show, but I hope that you all can understand my problem. Where did I do wrong here?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Hax
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2021 06:34:45(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. I have been thinking about your motor problem and can only come up with this suggestion. I tried to find a parts diagram but cannot find one.

Check your solder connections to the motor and frame. Sometimes getting the cooper and other metals linked together results in a large blob of solder which may be contacting the inside of the shell and shorting out.

Perhaps removing the countersunk screw is an issue, as the motor needs this to be stable. The capacitor may need to be adjusted slightly so it lays just over the top of the screw because both are needed. Just make certain the cap is not in contact with the shell. The motor might be shifting around a bit especially when the resistance of track contact comes into play.

Hope this helps.

Dwight
Offline wildstix  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2021 10:42:15(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I have been thinking about your motor problem and can only come up with this suggestion. I tried to find a parts diagram but cannot find one.

maybe this one?
Marklin 8892 parts sheet.pdf (69kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

Check your solder connections to the motor and frame. Sometimes getting the cooper and other metals linked together results in a large blob of solder which may be contacting the inside of the shell and shorting out.

I didn't see any of the solder contacting the shell, but I'll take a closer look to make sure 🙏

Perhaps removing the countersunk screw is an issue, as the motor needs this to be stable.

Well, the reason I removed the countersunk screw because when it's in place, the motor won't run at all. Since the new motor fits tightly to the frame, I tried to remove the screw, in case it's in contact with the capacitor and sure enough, the motor runs.

The capacitor may need to be adjusted slightly so it lays just over the top of the screw because both are needed.

That was exactly what I did. Anyways, I decided to send it to @JoedyPinguin for further inspection and repair if necessary. I'll share your input about the countersunk screw with him.

Just make certain the cap is not in contact with the shell. The motor might be shifting around a bit especially when the resistance of track contact comes into play.

Will do 👍

Hope this helps.

Dwight

Oh, your thoughts are truly helpful, thank you, Dwight!

Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2021 18:53:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi Great, thanks for the diagram.

Let us know how it goes.

I have never experienced success with a motor change which includes a part not installed. Not having the screw installed will cause problems.

Sometime I have seen the capacitor contact that screw and interfere with smooth operation. Take a close look at this it might be shorting out. It may need to be tightened properly to prevent an issue. Also adjust your capacitor position. As a test, put a small strip of electrical tape in between the screw and capacitor.

Best wishes, hope this works out for you.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline wildstix  
#10 Posted : 10 July 2021 09:01:45(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
So, the effort to bring this locomotive back to life is successful! Look how it goes here, 8102 back to life!
This was made possible with the help of a fellow member here, JoedyPinguin. He somehow made it work while he's actually more an HO mechanic. This project practically made him a legend on his own class 😊
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline husafreak  
#11 Posted : 11 July 2021 17:45:23(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for showing us your success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak