Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2021 10:39:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Early electric motive power in Germany

2021 commemorates a centenary of tradition and evolution of electric railway motive power in Germany (over 100 years).

I have two models representing early build electric engines in Germany. Both are allocated as series EG, being the letters for Electromotive Goods engine. Both engines were driven on independent bogies under a cab and engine housing like the Swiss crocodile, though much smaller.

The first is the Prussian State Railroad EG first built in 1914.
27 engines were built up to 1921 numbered EG 511 to EG 537. Under the Deutsche Reichsbahn this series became the E 71.1. The original engines were built by AEG with two motors for use on the Magdeburg–Dessau–Leipzig–Halle stretch as slow freight haulers. All engines worked until scrapping in the early few years of the DB. This model was made by Roco in Austria.

UserPostedImage

The second is the Bavarian State Railroad EG 2 built to a similar design in 1920.
Only 2 engines were built and under the Deutsche Reichsbahn were allocated series E 70 numbered E70 21 and E70 22. Built by Krauss in Munich and BBC electrics in Switzerland with two motors for use on freight and pusher service on the route Freilassing – Berchtesgaden, they turned in good results on the heavily graded line. For that reason, they remained in service even into the German Federal Railroad (DB) period. This model is produced for both Trix and Märklin.

UserPostedImage

Both of the Prussian and Bavarian EG series ran on the AC voltage of 15kV 16 2/3 Hz and both weighed around 65t.

The half-height motor housings on the Prussian engine swiveled with the bogies independent of cab and engine room. The drive wheel diameter was 1.35m and the length over buffers 11.6m.

On the Bavarian engine the half-height motor housings were narrower and integral with the cab and engine room. So each bogie drive swivelled underneath the motor housing, and the bogie frame and running boards had guard rails. The drive wheel diameter was 1.25m and the length over buffers 12.4m.

I like models which are largely produced in die-cast zinc metal. I was surprized that Roco used this method as did Märklin which was no surprize.

The EG 2 (E 70) is made under the Trix (latest TRIX H0 item number 22269) and Märklin (latest item number 37484) brands. The EG (E 71.1) was produced by Roco (Austria) in the 1990s under item #43816 and a trainset #43031. I did not weigh the models (Märklin feels heavier than the Roco), but both hauled 36 axles no problem on my layout with R1 curves.

Märklin

My Märklin model is the 3748 digital which represents the locomotive at around 1950. Produced around 1992, the latest production from Märklin includes sound - #37484 (Trix #22269).
The locomotive frame is articulated to enable the unit to negotiate sharp curves. The trucks are mounted to pivot under the half-height fixed hoods which are integral with the central cab housing.
Only one of the bogies is driven with traction tyres on two wheels. This model can be changed to pick up current from the overhead wire.

Roco

My Roco model is the 43816 produced probably around 1990 for era IIIa. As explained previously the model is largely a zinc die-casting in the shape of, and detailing the central cab section. It has a suitable underbelly cut-away for the central motor and drive for both bogie frames.
I feel quite fortunate in obtaining this model because a prior owner had gone to some trouble to install a Märklin decoder and a central slider for current pick up for the Märklin track. The central die-cast cab section was milled out enough at the top to contain a slim decoder. The roof of this central cab section was formed of three separate plastic moulds one of which hides the decoder. I would say the work was done very professionally.
Unlike the Märklin E 70, this locomotive drives on all four axles. In spite of the lack of any traction tyres it has adequate hauling capacity for its size.
The Roco model half-height motor housings swivel with the bogies like the Swiss crocodiles or the E 93 and E 94.
Roco also produced this model in a train set #43031 for era IIIa which commemorates the 40th year of the Deutsche Bundesbahn formation. The locomotive in set #43031 had a similar blue/grey colouring to the Märklin 3748.
While the original 43816 two-rail model may have had the option to pick up current from the overhead wire, this modified 3-rail model does not.

UserPostedImage

The E71.1 (E 71 29) can still be seen up close I believe at the DB museum in Koblenz is and easily found on the internet.

This is my only Roco locomotive, but I am extremely pleased with its ability and run quality.
I have mostly Märklin except a couple of Brawa and Liliput which are digital for the Märklin system.

Bibliography:
https://de.wikipedia.org...Fische_EG_511_bis_EG_537
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayerische_EG_2

Kimball Thurlow

Edited by user 19 May 2021 01:19:34(UTC)  | Reason: improved some sense

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2021 11:53:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Both models are exquisite with intricate detail. My E 71 is a blue Roco, together with the 40 jare anniversary thunderbox 4 car set. It has a book style case, and hardcover book inside. The locomotive is plastic though.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2021 12:54:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Both models are exquisite with intricate detail. My E 71 is a blue Roco, together with the 40 jare anniversary thunderbox 4 car set. It has a book style case, and hardcover book inside. The locomotive is plastic though.

Hello 5999,

Thanks for contributing this useful information to the topic.
I would be very surprized if your Roco train-set loco was plastic.

On my Roco, the complete middle cab/machinery section is one block of die-cast zinc with hollow for the motor.
This includes the detail such as machinery doors etc.
The roof and each cab window/door set are a slide-over plastic sleeves to complete the detail.
They are removeable by sliding up off the block.
The middle roof square is also a separate plastic detail.

I confirm that the low-height swivel motor housings are plastic.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 11 May 2021 10:34:02(UTC)  | Reason: Improved the sense (maybe)

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2021 13:48:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Kimball, the frame is die cast of course, but none of the body. Maybe I was confused as what you meant.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2021 14:05:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The E71.1 (E 71 29) can still be seen up close I believe at the DB museum in Koblenz is and easily found on the internet.

This is my only Roco locomotive, but I am extremely please with its ability and run quality.
I have mostly Märklin except a couple of Brawa and Liliput which are digital for the Märklin system.
Kimball

Edited by user 11 May 2021 10:40:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2021 01:07:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Agneaux,

Thanks,
Yes there were probably a lot of other early electrics, some few of which have not been modelled.
I chose two models that were/are available from quantity manufacturers.

These two model locomotives are very well designed and I take some pride in running them with pre-1950 freight wagons.
I really like early electrics, and have a few models of 1930s locos such as E91, E32, E19, and E18.
I would like to get the E17 but waiting for Märklin to release it in era II colouring.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow