Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2021 11:51:49(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Dear all, I noticed that Gaugemaster now producers Z scale controllers.

https://www.gaugemasterr...ls-brand5.html?scale=459

I was looking everywhere for more information on them until I saw a post in our forum from Carim in 2019 where he measures the performance of many Marklin locomotives on a 30 cm distance.
I was very intrigued and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience or comment about these Gaugemaster controllers.

FYI, I am using the standard Marklin white controllers for my analogue trains. I have the Rokuhan ones but do not like them. I have the Snail Speed Controller and do like their slow speed - but they do sometimes have the side effect of locking up my motors.

Thanks
Gavin

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2021 12:17:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post
Dear all, I noticed that Gaugemaster now producers Z scale controllers.

https://www.gaugemasterr...ls-brand5.html?scale=459

I was looking everywhere for more information on them until I saw a post in our forum from Carim in 2019 where he measures the performance of many Marklin locomotives on a 30 cm distance.
I was very intrigued and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience or comment about these Gaugemaster controllers.

FYI, I am using the standard Marklin white controllers for my analogue trains. I have the Rokuhan ones but do not like them. I have the Snail Speed Controller and do like their slow speed - but they do sometimes have the side effect of locking up my motors.

Thanks
Gavin

Ouch, at those prices i think I would stick to Marklin controllers.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2021 21:58:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Gaugemaster are great, although I do not have context for Z scale.

I am a huge fan of MRC (model retifier corporation) transformers from this american brand. They are basically what everyone uses for analogue in the USA...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2021 21:53:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I don't know if the MRC Railpower is that popular for Z though? 15V 7A output is rather high and great care or accessories would be needed. The Guagemaster controller actually becomes pretty reasonable if you go for the 4 track design and use it for a complicated layout. I'll have to see if they are sold here in the US as a lot of European stuff is only overpriced if you we have to pay in pounds. For some strange reason the price in dollars is usually much more favorable than the euro or pound price converted.

Edited by user 04 May 2021 03:04:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2021 04:30:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I wanted to add that I hope someone can comment on this Guagemaster controller! In my early days of Z I had a lot of "trouble" with controllers and never really found the perfect one. The Rokuhan controllers I initially bought would shut down regularly due to high currant demands of older 3 and 5 pole Marklin locos. But paired with Rokuhan locos they are the bomb. Then I tried the Snail Speed controllers. I loved the slow start/stop feature but I disliked the form factor and my Marklin locos would regularly stop for no apparent reason besides moving slowly and could only be restarted with a push. I finally read a lot of unfavorable comments about the new Marklin controllers so I searched out a pair of older Marklin controllers, white with red knobs and internal transformers. These are the most reliable for me, my trains keep going! And so the search for the perfect controller ended there. Also they are stout and fairly heavy so they stay put. The Achilles heel of these is the corse power stepping, I would prefer a more infinitely variable throttle.
Offline zoooctan  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2021 05:11:24(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
I'm presently talking with Gaugemaster in the UK and also crawling youtube for comments on gauge master. Will keep you posted.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2021 06:32:59(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if the MRC Railpower is that popular for Z though? 15V 7A output is rather high and great care or accessories would be needed. The Guagemaster controller actually becomes pretty reasonable if you go for the 4 track design and use it for a complicated layout. I'll have to see if they are sold here in the US as a lot of European stuff is only overpriced if you we have to pay in pounds. For some strange reason the price in dollars is usually much more favorable than the euro or pound price converted.

I believe they have (or used to have) a version with a voltage toggle to go between HO and N/Z. I don' have one on hand to check though.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR