Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2021 11:55:28(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Dear All
I am thinking of getting a Marklin 37340 the new SBB CARGO 420. it says in the documentation, it has cardon shaft drives and all wheels are driven. i guess that only 4 wheels will have traction tyres as the others will be used for electrical pickup. What i want to know is will the pulling power be better than my other older 420s. how much difference does having wheels with no traction tyres driven make? i have two spirals of R3 with 3% gradiant and would like this loco to pull a 6 coach train up the slope.

Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2021 12:55:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hey, I recently got the new re 421 Munich-Zurich. They are the same. It's heavy, and pulls a long train no problem. Seven long TEE cars and diner. The sounds are superb. The cab and engine room leds are proper brightness .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2021 16:38:53(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Tim,
The new model is a much better puller. It has two traction tires but that is more than enough. It can easily pull trains up my R3 helix that the older versions struggle with.

Fegards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2021 16:46:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It doesn't strain either, nor slip. It's much better than a 3600 series Vectron, etc., but those are great too. My 421 is one of my collection's favorites now.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:19:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I still have concerns with:

1) Having to unscrew the circuit board to properly lubricate models
2) Future availability of parts
3) AC/Maerklin models with traction tires on alternating axles
4) Improvements lead to non-Improvements

1) Many new models have can motors hidden under the PC bard which require the circuit board to be partially removed in order to lubricate motor/cardan shaft/gears/etc.
Over time, this may place strain on wires/connections

2) Traditional AC motors required basic maintenance which may have consisted of cleaning/lubrication and replacing brushes and springs. The new models basically require new motors. Those parts may over time be harder to find

3) I can understand that DC might require putting one traction tire on each bogie as one bogie is used to collect + and the other -, but I would rather still have my AC models with the traction tires on the bogie which exerts the greatest weight on the track. I also worry that having them on different wheels may cause return issues as it results in two axles where ground contact may be less than optimal in some conditions

4) My biggest concern (related to the new Re 420/421) is that if you consider the new motor design an improvement, there has been a partnered fail, which is that the new design of the bogie parts results in the coupling setup increasing the distance between the loco and the leading car. If you are going to make "improvements", please don't do it at the expense of other features/details.

Thanks

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2021 20:03:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Really Mike? I can see the worm gears with enough space under the board to use a needle lubricator, or you can aplly the grease to the gears from the bottom of the bogie tucks.
Too much oil on a cardan shaft union can make it slip out of the socket.
I stocked up om square motor brushes. Traction tires wont be an issue. Otherwise, if a commutator wears oit on the armatur gear, and new ones aren't avaiab'e, than I guess it becomes a display queen.