Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2021 08:32:02(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Can anyone recommend a wire stripper for thin wires that actually works? I just digitized my 3048 and got so frustrated with the thin wires that came with the decoder. They are so thin I had a difficult time removing the insulation. With bad eyesight and unsteady hands, I ended up cutting the wires multiple times.Cursing Cursing I also need the wire stripper to work for feeder wires.

Thank you.

P.S. Just found out there is a Forum for Model Railroad wiring. But I can't delete this. Maybe the admin can help move this over there.
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2021 09:59:57(UTC)
Copenhagen

I've used an automatic wire stripper type that works for all kinds of wires. Sometimes it's necessary to sqeeze with one hand on the jaws that hold the wire in place so it doesn't slip when you press the handles together with the other hand and the other set of jaws pull the isolation off. (Hope it makes sense).
Offline DamonKelly  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2021 10:47:46(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
In my work and hobbies, I use something like this:
Heavy Duty Wire Stripper / Cutter / Crimper with Wire Guide
(from an Australian shop)
or:
Wire Stripper, Automatic

I'm an electronic engineer, so I don't want to be messing around with manual cutters when I'm prototyping...
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2021 10:52:53(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I have WIREFOX 10 from Phoenix Contact. (0.02 - 10 mm²/AWG 34-8/ 0,16-3.57mm diameter)
have seen that some claim it is identical to Pressmaster.

I'm quite happy with it, even if it was expensive. It works perfectly with Marklin wires and even the thinner Esu wires. there is a spring pressure adjustment slider on the side. but I usually, only adjust one click up or down. Since it works so well I only use it on thin wires to keep it sharp, I have a cheaper more crude tool that works ok on thicker wires. You can also get replacement blades.

Here is a video of it: (from 5:56)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2021 10:52:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
Maybe the admin can help move this over there.

Done!

I don't know of a wire stripper that will strip wires that thin. Maybe something like this one which can strip wires from 0.2mm to 6mm.

Wire Stripper

Edit - This one looks a bit similar to the one Damon posted.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2021 18:39:53(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I use an adjustable strength wire stripper like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-D...ers-/392145832844?_ul=IL
A screw allows to adapt to very thin wire (reduce stripping force) or to very large ones. It works very well with the Märklin thin wire coming with decoders.
Cheers
Jean
Offline wseltner  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2021 22:55:04(UTC)
wseltner

Canada   
This is the absolute best out there. At my company we have bought many and from various manufacturers. About 10 years ago i bought this wiedmuller stripax stripper. stripper link
We have a half dozen in a production environment. They are incredible. We strip 28 to 22 AWG stranded mostly and i use them in the tiny decoder wires all the time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wseltner
Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2021 01:58:45(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I have the same stripper [ wire , not female ] that Damon has , Brought mine from either jaycar or The big Box store we call Bunnings . I have used many types of strippers & wire cutters over the last 50 odd years when I have been working & have found this type at present to be the top line tool to use for all sorts of cable . I spent 24 years as a telephone technician in a exchange where strippers are used all day long, the strippers were supplied as part of our tool kits . With this stripper from CK Tools I have found it easy to operate & multi useful when insulation stripping from multi wire cables without having to cut the cable . . Yep Go for one ,cheap for what they can do ,about AU$ 20.00 down here in Oz.

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 26 April 2021 06:52:46(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: wseltner Go to Quoted Post
This is the absolute best out there. At my company we have bought many and from various manufacturers. About 10 years ago i bought this wiedmuller stripax stripper. stripper link
We have a half dozen in a production environment. They are incredible. We strip 28 to 22 AWG stranded mostly and i use them in the tiny decoder wires all the time.

This is what we use. Not me per se (i´m a programmer) but the electrical cabinet building department.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#10 Posted : 26 April 2021 08:45:56(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you for all the recommendations. I have an old wire stripper but the decoder wires are too small for it. So my first priority is to find one that can strip ~0.4mm diameter wires. Now the hard decision is which one to get.
Offline Copenhagen  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2021 11:06:18(UTC)
Copenhagen

You can also use a lighter. Just heat the end up a little and pinch it off with your fingers. If the plastic catches fire you'll need to blow it out. You don't have to melt the plastic completely, which will also make it too hot.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 26 April 2021 11:46:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

I have the same stripper [ wire , not female ]

I was most amused to receive a packet of components from RS one day that had been shipped from one of their warehouses in Europe, and had a flyer in it with the specials for the month. The flyer was printed in French, and I most amused to find a wire stripper described as a 'denuder' ... BigGrin Blushing BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2021 08:50:00(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
After much thoughts and considering functionalities and cost, I bought one recommended by Damon, a CK 495001 Automatic Wire Stripper. It can strip the ultra thin decoder wires and is very well built. I'm starting to build my layout and will put it to good use.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MKOpSeattle