Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Albert Lind  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2018 05:08:18(UTC)
Albert Lind

United States   
I recently obtained a Marklin Transformer No. 37547 A. It says: 10VA total output; 120 V 60 Hz. It has a lamp-type power cord with a vinyl type of bushing where the cord enters the plastic case.
The plastic case is held together with 4 rivets, one in each corner. Because of the warning I received from the forum about the venerable Marklin Transformer 280A, with its deteriorated rubber insulation inside the case, I am very alert to the condition of the power cord insulation. This transformer's power cord on the outside seems a bit stiff to me, as if it had been stored in a hot environment, such as an attic. But, there is no splitting or cracking. For all I know, maybe this is the way the cord is supposed to be, indicating perhaps thicker strands of copper wire underneath the insulation, which is NOT rubber. I was going to remove the cover of the case to examine the power cord inside, but hate to have to drill out the rivets if that is not necessary. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, the 10VA total output seems a bit minimal for HO, leading me to believe this might be for Marklin Z scale.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2018 09:22:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Albert Lind Go to Quoted Post
I recently obtained a Marklin Transformer No. 37547 A. It says: 10VA total output; 120 V 60 Hz. It has a lamp-type power cord with a vinyl type of bushing where the cord enters the plastic case.
The plastic case is held together with 4 rivets, one in each corner. Because of the warning I received from the forum about the venerable Marklin Transformer 280A, with its deteriorated rubber insulation inside the case, I am very alert to the condition of the power cord insulation. This transformer's power cord on the outside seems a bit stiff to me, as if it had been stored in a hot environment, such as an attic. But, there is no splitting or cracking. For all I know, maybe this is the way the cord is supposed to be, indicating perhaps thicker strands of copper wire underneath the insulation, which is NOT rubber. I was going to remove the cover of the case to examine the power cord inside, but hate to have to drill out the rivets if that is not necessary. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, the 10VA total output seems a bit minimal for HO, leading me to believe this might be for Marklin Z scale.

Hi Albert, those newer types with the blue plastic case are generally ok, the cord should be pvc and sometimes they can be quite stiff when cold but will often soften if warm like if left in the sun.

The easiest way to check the cord would be to cuf off the molded plug and see what the inside insulation is like. Of course you'd then have to wire on a new plug as well.

As for being only 10va, it possibly originally came with a starter set but will stil be useful as a lighting power source.

Z scale uses only around 8-10v so it would not be for Mini-Club.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2018 11:09:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Albert Lind Go to Quoted Post
I recently obtained a Marklin Transformer No. 37547 A.

That item number doesn't seem to be correct - item 37547 is the SBB Gottardo train.......

Capture.JPG

I would have expected the model number of the transformer to be 6450.

Yet that is the number on the transformer's faceplate....

Capture.JPG

Can anyone explain that conundrum??
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2018 13:06:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone explain that conundrum??
Märklin have recycled several product numbers.
There also is a transformer 37450.

Number 3013 was used for an electric loco and for a diesel railcar.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Seacoast George  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2021 05:32:26(UTC)
Seacoast George

United States   
Hi! Newbie here.
I have a n olds Noch HO display it was a old FAO SCWARTZ DISPLAY FROM the 1960's or 1970's, I 🤔 ITS M TRACK . THE OLD blue ac transformer was lost In a move . I just purchased a used rEFURBISHED 37547 , terminals on the the BACK ARE red , BROWN snd yellow. Do I just connect the red wire and brown wires to the terminals of the 37547? Or SHOULF I STRIP The Wire and INSERT wires-onto the 37547 or are there plugs thst go onthe wires to the corresponding color I put on 37547? ?Thank you for your help. Sorry for the dumb questions.
George
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2021 15:17:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Whoa, that post is really bad on the eyes with a mix of upper and lower case characters and quite a few spelling mistakes!

Right, yes red and brown wires coming from the track are connected to the red and brown terminals on the back of the transformer. Those blue 10va transformers were not made to take a bare wire (newer transformers are) - you need plugs which Marklin no longer make. You might be able to buy some 2nd hand from a Marklin dealer or buy new Brawa plugs which are compatible with the old Marklin plugs. You can buy them in packs of 10 for about 2€ per pack, and there are quite a few colours including red and brown. You would want the Brawa 3052 and 3054 packs.

Brawa 3051 - 10 Yellow Plugs
Brawa 3052 - 10 Red Plugs
Brawa 3053 - 10 Green Plugs
Brawa 3054 - 10 Brown Plugs
Brawa 3055 - 10 Blue Plugs
Brawa 3056 - 10 Orange Plugs
Brawa 3057 - 10 Grey Plugs
Brawa 3058 - 10 Black Plugs

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Seacoast George  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2021 16:18:59(UTC)
Seacoast George

United States   
Sorry for the typos. I had a Covid induced stroke and typing is tough. Thanks for the info re: plugs. Do I need to solder the plugs onto the wires? How do you I install the plugs? Also what’s the new transformer model # in Case I want to get one
are-they available? Thanks
Thanks

Whoa, that post is really bad on the eyes with a mix of upper and lower case characters and quite a few spelling mistakes!

Right, yes red and brown wires coming from the track are connected to the red and brown terminals on the back of the transformer. Those blue 10va transformers were not made to take a bare wire (newer transformers are) - you need plugs which Marklin no longer make. You might be able to buy some 2nd hand from a Marklin dealer or buy new Brawa plugs which are compatible with the old Marklin plugs. You can buy them in packs of 10 for about 2€ per pack, and there are quite a few colours including red and brown. You would want the Brawa 3052 and 3054 packs.

Edited by moderator 18 April 2021 23:48:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Seacoast George
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2021 18:38:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Damn Covid George! I make enough type-o's anyway. Glad you're recovering.
Offline rhfil  
#9 Posted : 18 April 2021 18:52:57(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Is the plug the same as fits the 6088? If it is I have some which I will gladly stick in the mail for him.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 18 April 2021 23:59:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The plugs have a small screw which is used to hold a wire in place. You strip the wire about 2 or 3 mm's then insert that into the back of the plug and tighten the screw enough that it holds the wire but doesn't cut it in half.

s-l640.png

Marklin doesn't have a 120 volt version of the new 66471 transformer in the catalog. The only one is that 230 volt version.

You may be able to find on ebay an earlier 6646 120 volt transformer, which has the bare wire connectors.

marklin-6646-ac-transformer-120-volt_1_5d37c7c8b4a9b2342848ffd779c87628.jpg

Hope you are feeling better after your sickness and recovering well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 19 April 2021 06:26:10(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
The plugs have a small screw which is used to hold a wire in place. You strip the wire about 2 or 3 mm's then insert that into the back of the plug and tighten the screw enough that it holds the wire but doesn't cut it in half. ...

Hope you are feeling better after your sickness and recovering well.

Hello SG and David,

If I may be excused for adding a contribution ...

As David noted, screwing onto the bare wire strands too firmly at times cuts the wire and also at other
times can displace the wire to the side and not hold it in good contact.

An alternative technique once recommended by Märklin in an old maintenance manual may be more reliable,
and has been so in my experience :

The wire bared :

UserPostedImage

Strands splayed:

UserPostedImage

Strands laid back along wire

UserPostedImage

Strands spiral twirled back around insulated wire :

UserPostedImage

The end in plug and screwed upon :

UserPostedImage

So sorry to hear of your COVID - induced health upset SG, and wish you a good recovery.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline rhfil  
#12 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:22:50(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Nice but what size is the plug?
Offline PJMärklin  
#13 Posted : 20 April 2021 01:36:05(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Nice but what size is the plug?

2.6mm diam

This is the size of the old Märklin plug (no longer made) and the currently available Brawa plug diam is 2.5mm.