Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2021 20:36:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hello, I am not a current Insider member, and have not been since before 2006. I found a model from 2019/2020 in stock and ordered it at the pre coupon discount price. It says the coupon may be sent along later. My checkout quote included the $70 club discount though. They don't yet know I'm not a club member. If I join the club now, will they send me a coupon for this item? I want it regardless.
Thank you all in advance.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:01:18(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Typically you have to join by March to get the coupons for the current year.
They do not issue coupons for prior years.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:09:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you Tom for the quick reply! I was just about to email the club. The address for the USA club would not work (I may have had to upper case the M). I didn't try the German insider club.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2021 23:45:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
At $99 US for a year membership, I'd still be at a $30 defecit. The shop owner gave me an additional 6% discount anyway.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2021 09:11:46(UTC)
H0

Dealers play their own games with those Insider models.
The last time I ordered it was -17 % with coupon and RRP without coupon. This applies to pre-orders.

Models that are already in stock are a different story. The dealer already used a coupon to get the loco. The longer the loco stays on the shelf, the bigger the discount will be.

As always: Pay what you think it is worth. There still is eBay - you may have to wait 2 or 3 years after the release of the model.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2021 12:25:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks! Ok, the shop owner told me to call Marklin in Mo.and ask if they have a coupon remaining. When I told him my collection is already sizable and the insider club fee wouldn't be used again, he offered me the 6% off. I don't know what rrp was last year, but the pre discount price was $467.
Marklin often re issues former club or exclusive models as regular items later.
He doesn't have the lit thunderbox car set to go with. I have A Roco 4 car set unlit I can use with the 39781 loc. I don't have a steam engine with mfx+ World of operation, why I want this. It also has a complete host of sound effects, and flickering fire box and cab lighting. I may never make use of the digital controlled current conducting coupler. You risk a short if coupled to a metal car with a grounded coupler, or one with a pick-up shoe.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2021 18:51:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

Marklin often re issues former club or exclusive models as regular items later.

They always issue the model again later - but it will not be the exact same one. It will have a different road number, different features (e.g. no smoke unit, no Telex uncoupler, different sound set) and if the Insider one was an mfx+, then the new model may or may not be an mfx+ depending on the price point Marklin are looking to sell the loco at.

This is the reality of developing any new project, there will be a whole lot of research done before the first model is produced, into how the body molds can be reworked and reused, how many different nationalities will have had that loco, so how many different liveries can be produced (e.g the Class 66 or Re460 series) and so on. There will be decisions made about the order in which a model can be produced because of irreversible reworking of a body mold (typically for a steam loco) to suit different details of different eras (e.g two head lights versus three headlights, different running boards).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2021 20:52:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and sometimes there are a few N.O.S. (new old stock) items that can be had for less, because the latest versions have more functions, or a contemporary paint scheme.
It really is amazing the amount of resarch done to issue a new model, after asking us what we'd like to see produced.
My latest one, soon on it's way is the first of it's kind though, from any company, in any scale. It was part of the post WW2 German economic mirracle DB roster. I presume there may be others to follow, possibly, but there were no other protoypes of it. It was used to test new technology, if by 1951, there was much new "steam" tech. Diesel was the trend.
There were a limited number of ten built, all retired by 1966. As the economy recoverd and grew, passenger service became broader, and faster. The E 10, 103, 110, 112, 114, and 111 became the standards for electrics. The V60, V200, br 216, 218, for diesels. Then the br 120 which paved the way for the ICE.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline fkowal  
#9 Posted : 16 April 2021 03:11:47(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
What is your “latest one”? I was going to guess a BR10 steamer, but it has been available from a number of manufacturers over the years. I am curious. Confused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 16 April 2021 04:48:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
INo, I Have a br 10. It was supposed to be the br 78.10 insider loc. 39781 My sweetie of 27 years said happy anniversary. Unless the shop finds it in their inventory. I ordered it 2 days ago after finding it online by happenstance. It is on there site as one available, but they called and said they can't find it. If they do, they will ship it. I spoke with two different guys on Wednesday and yesterday. The first and eldest said he'd send it. I checked my order status yesterday and it was still incomplete so I called again. Later, he called back with disappointment.
I have ordered from them before and was very satisfied with their service. I was hoping there was just some confusion yesterday being tax day. I hope they do actually have it.
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2021 18:04:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: fkowal Go to Quoted Post
What is your “latest one”? I was going to guess a BR10 steamer, but it has been available from a number of manufacturers over the years. I am curious. Confused

They were still looking for the model this morning. I chose a 39380 br 38 instead. They are similar, except for a 4 axle tender, not 2, the smoke deflectors, and a smoke unit not included. It has identical sound functions, digital live current rear coupler, cab lighting, and firebox flicker. The boiler dome and sand box look identical. The prices are close.
I think I actually like it better than the 39781 Insider I ordered first. It has a cast round portal on the cab, and a facing symetrical to cab round tender door. It looks unusual, like something more suited for a ship or submarine to me.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999