Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LA2019  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2021 23:18:34(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
I wasn't sure were to post this topic but the Photography area seemed close enough.

I was at my older brother's place and he had a painting on his wall that he bought at a garage sale for $5. It's about 4' x 3'. It's called "The Pulse of Industry" by F. Gerwin. I did some searching and I think it is Franz Gerwin but I'm not sure.

I think it's a print but I'm not sure. I thought it was a nice image and that I would share it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ken
USofA
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2021 00:18:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LA2019 Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't sure were to post this topic but the Photography area seemed close enough.

I was at my older brother's place and he had a painting on his wall that he bought at a garage sale for $5. It's about 4' x 3'. It's called "The Pulse of Industry" by F. Gerwin. I did some searching and I think it is Franz Gerwin but I'm not sure.

I think it's a print but I'm not sure. I thought it was a nice image and that I would share it.

It could be a water colour if it is not a print. Interesting that it is dated 1940. I did find this listing for an original lithograph of the work.

On the basis that is a lithograph suggests your brothers might be as well, except that his looks a different aspect ratio to the one in the etsy listing.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2021 02:57:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The proportions of the steam loco are much better in the etsy link. I think the one in the frame has been compressed to fit a 4x3 format. Looks like it was originally 4x2 ratio.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2021 12:06:31(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The painting is likely of Cleveland, but it sure looks like Carrie furnace in Pittsburgh. I was born just a mile away from it. I recall the coal hoists never stopping, even on weekends as we rounded the curve on the parkway East I 376 westbound at Bates st. Heading into downtown after the Squirrel Hill tunnel. Every night sky was red.
In 1983, the Jones and Laughland huge triple blast furnace plant was silenced forever. By1985, the stacks were collapsing. By the 99s, the heat stoves and bustle pipes were gone. Today it is a bike trail and Technology row. The trail is marked with memorial plaques, as is the Hot metal bridge as you pedal on it across the Menongahela river where the rolling mill stood.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2021 21:17:55(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Due to the engine and short coal or coke cars I think it a European mill, probably German.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2021 00:25:45(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Due to the engine and short coal or coke cars I think it a European mill, probably German.

Yes, makes sense Roger. By 1940, some American mills were likely using diesel switchers, or the old H-9 steamers which were much larger.
My above error said "Carrie furnace" should read "Eliza" furnace. Carrie was Andrew Carnegie's, then US Steel in Braddock and Homestead further east after J.P. Morgan bought it in 1901 following the Pinkerton uprising.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2021 04:33:30(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

If you look at the image on the Etsy link you see that the image has been compressed laterally and the loco and cars are not as short as they look in the framed image.

I am not saying it is not German. Germany also had longer coal hoppers and locos. Red livery of loco suggests German.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2021 06:44:39(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, if it is the Franz Gerwin that Wiki lists as a german painter widely used by the nazi regime(!), then he was indeed german, and the steel mill would most probably be of german origin...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa