Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline garben  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2021 22:49:32(UTC)
garben

United States   
Do you save your annual Marklin catalogs? I have been but been debating if I should keep them or not? Thoughts?

Thanks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by garben
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2021 22:56:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, until 2006 dating back to 1985. My dealer closed following the recession and there is no other local here to get them. I also kept most new items brocures and flyers, Insider club issues from 200 through 2005 when I was a member. Then Marklin USA in New Berlin Wi. closed. I lost my job of 31 years, and had no expendable income until recently so I was on hiatus from the hobby for 12 long years.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2021 23:19:15(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep from the 1960s to present day.. This is especially important for me since Koll's no longer has images.. I use an IKEA Billy Book case to store them and the Insiders/Marklin Magazines..

The nice thing about the catalogues is that they show consists, which is helpful for someone (like me!) who has only been to mainland Europe twice in his life time.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline grnwtrs  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2021 03:09:18(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post
Do you save your annual Marklin catalogs? I have been but been debating if I should keep them or not? Thoughts?

Thanks

Just check out the Maerklin website. That will give you all the information you need. Laugh Laugh NOT! BigGrin
Offline amartinezv  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2021 09:46:01(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Yes I have almost all catalogs from 1950 up to now in paper and also in digital format.
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2021 11:19:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thanks

Hello Norbert,

Yes, I have kept them since I "found" Märklin in 1983 Smile.
I also collect them and have all the English language versions since 1951.
Whilst the current Märklin website is useful in finding data on items after 2000/2001, it does not contain information before then.
I also use a Koll’s from year 2011, thus given the Märklin number I can find all the usual catalogue listed items before and after 2000/2001 back to 1951.
As Adrian (xxup) notes, the catalogues (particularly the older ones) also give suggestions for consists.
Finally, I do like just reading them (especially the older ones).

You can also find the old catalogues here : http://www.lctm.info/Sec...teca/Catalogos/index.php

Regards,

PJBigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline garben  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2021 16:19:56(UTC)
garben

United States   
Thanks all. I do like the catalogs and was curious as to whether or not people saved them. All good points. Thanks again
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by garben
Offline grnwtrs  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2021 08:54:04(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Thanks

Hello Norbert,

Yes, I have kept them since I "found" Märklin in 1983 Smile.
I also collect them and have all the English language versions since 1951.
Whilst the current Märklin website is useful in finding data on items after 2000/2001, it does not contain information before then.
I also use a Koll’s from year 2011, thus given the Märklin number I can find all the usual catalogue listed items before and after 2000/2001 back to 1951.
As Adrian (xxup) notes, the catalogues (particularly the older ones) also give suggestions for consists.
Finally, I do like just reading them (especially the older ones).

You can also find the old catalogues here : http://www.lctm.info/Sec...teca/Catalogos/index.php

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Thanks for the "link". Now I have the Marklin catalogues back to 1950!!!!

I have been collecting them since 1968, the first time I heard of Marklin!
I started buying catalogues at local train shows, etc, then on Ebay. Still on Ebay
for some of my favorites , then just to look at the hints, consists, parts, and the beauty of the older models.

Until now, the earliest catalogue I had was the 1952. And, may I add, it is my favorite.

I will start to mount some of the early ones in the train room ( that I don't have) and around the house as I consider them
"works of art"

Thanks Gene
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2021 12:17:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I've been an avid collector of catalogues from my early days with Märklin. My very first one came from my Dad, it's the 1973 edition and he didn't actually run Marklin (I grew up with Tri-ang), but he clearly appreciated quality.

A big problem as many have noted is the space required to keep them! Every now and then I have a purge of duplicates, usually acquired when I have to buy a bunch at auction just to get one I want, and end up with several I already have. And they are heavy if you need to pack and move them.

I keep catalogues based on two main criteria;

1: Condition - torn and dog-eared are less desirable, but you know they've been well-loved.

2: Dealer Stamps. They are the history. If I have a choice of two catalogues, one with a 'local' stamp (ie a NZ retailer, or Australian), I will often favour that over an unmarked one that might be in better condition - or just keep both.

But I also have an extensive e-version archive. I can find things of interest quicker on my PC than having to manually flick through the pages of a hard copy. I probably spend way longer on my PC than I should but it's led me to some real treasures.

My oldest catalogue is 1904, then a smattering until 1920 and then right through from the early 1920's. Of course, a catalogue is not complete without the price-list for the same year, then there's the give-away counter leaflets, single-page item announcements, new-items etc. Other languages?, or course. Marklin printed their literature in several languages and the variations are fun. OCD?, well I couldn't possibly comment.

I've been helped by fellow-enthusiasts who have kindly shared, and I've spent many many hours on my scanner (probably months cumulatively) scanning my own originals to share in return.

When I took an unexpected diversion into the world of Marklin-Metall (as in Meccano) a whole new world of literature opened up including the very hard-to-find dealer "Sales Aids" catalogues for things like Factory Layouts, Shop Display items etc.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline GG1 Fan  
#10 Posted : 07 April 2021 03:59:58(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Would anyone like to have my old catalogues from the early 80's and such.

I don't know how much they are worth
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GG1 Fan
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2021 10:12:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Like many things vintage, or not, are worth what someone is willing to pay. The catalogs from then didn't change much year to year. They are much thicker from 1985 on up.
Offline mbarreto  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2021 23:44:24(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I have all the main cataloggues since 1960 in english, except 2 or 3 in french.
I alreay was more enthusiastic about have them then now.the last 30 years take a lot of space in the shelves :) and I like more the older ones.
Also one thing is that the older ones don't change a lot from year to year. Having them in pdf is a very good idea. I have them in pdf only until 2012 and would like to have the newer ones in pdf too, but don't where to get them.
Koll should reedit the last one with images...

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 08 April 2021 03:44:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
My catalog collection starts in the 1970's and I have most of them since that time. I also have a few from the 1960's.

Some are stored in a bookcase and others are in a couple of cardboard boxes.

I have a collection of scanned catalogs in pdf format from 1924 to 2019/2020 with a few others dating from before 1924 (the same ones Cookee has). Many of these catalogs I scanned myself and many of the catalogs available from the LCTM site and other sites are ones that I scanned. I recently sent an email to the Editor of the LCTM site asking whether they would like copies of my scanned catalogs up to 2010, but I haven't received a reply. I sent the email in English, maybe I should have sent it in Spanish.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#14 Posted : 08 April 2021 03:46:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The older catalogs are very collectible, but just because the older ones from their heyday are sought after, does not mean that the modern ones will also be in decades to come....
I suspect that all things being equal, the proportion of people keeping the modern catalogs is much higher than in the 1950- through the 1970s, which means that in 2080 the current ones will not likely be as rare as the ones that are 60 years old now.

I do keep one of each that I do manage to gain possession of, and I store them in old plastic milk crates.

Hopefully, when I die they wont end up in a landfill, and at least get recycled!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2021 13:58:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Absolutely Dale. The hardcover books are very nice. It's expensive to print full color catalogues today because it isn't as widely done as in the past before PDF files and the web.
I was even surprised to recieve a Roco catalogue by mail with a freight car delivery.
Offline drstapes123  
#16 Posted : 08 April 2021 23:41:03(UTC)
drstapes123

United Kingdom   

Thanks

yes i have the catalogues from 1950 to 1970 not collected later ones but some have useful lists of spare parts
Geoff
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#17 Posted : 08 April 2021 23:46:49(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I have a number of catalogues from the 50's into the 70's, and was able to find a CD a number of years back with all of them from the 30's to around 2014. I like the printed vintage ones and plan on keeping them, but the newer ones take up a lot of space and have been passed on to other Maerklin enthusiasts who are interested.