Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2021 11:47:44(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Joined: 16/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 705
Location: Bangalore, India
Team, could you help me with part numbers for the following digital conversions that I've planned for the year. Here are the locos that I intend to convert. Images are downloaded from catawiki.com
- Märklin H0 - 3100 - Steam locomotive with tender - BR 03 "750 Jahre Berlin" - DB
- Märklin H0 - 3100 - Steam locomotive - BR 86 "750 Jahre Berlin" - DB
- Märklin Railbus 3016


Here are the details I solicit from this group:
- I want the steam locos to run super slow. so I probably need a motor set with super slow running characteristics
- Digital decoder for basic operations - ESU or Marklin
- Steam (seuthe) unit that I need to buy
- Flicker free headlights. So the part number of the maintenance free LED that I need to buy
- Sound decoder that I need to buy for BR 03 and BR 86.

If you could post the part numbers for each of the above three locos, that should help a lot

Edit: I use MS2 to control my trains and familiar with basic soldering. I had done only one conversion using 60906 decoder and I'm not happy with the conversion as the loco headlight still flickers and the loco does not run smooth at low speeds

Best regards,
Madhu
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2021 13:01:52(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 493
Location: Michigan, Troy
Depending wether you operate your trains and layout with a 6021, or Mobil or central station, the decoder choices may be different. The newest mld3 mfx decoders include sound. The basic low cost decoders have only up to 5 functions. Without looking up item numbers, you will need a high efficiency motor conversion kit with a 5 pole armature, and permanent magnet. One kit has a decoder, if still available. You can find everything on Marklin.de website, and or various retailers sites. The latest sound deciders are pre uploaded with steam, diesel, or electric loco sounds, or they can be customized by a dealer, or with a programmer you can buy. You load sound files to it via the web. You need a multimeter to measure the voltage and resistance of the headlight output from the decoder to determine what resistors you need to install to ensure flicker free led lights. Hope this helps you begin. Others may advise better.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:13:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 5,917
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
The newest mld3 mfx decoders include sound.


Err, no they don't. The msd/3 decoders have sound, the mld/3 do not have sound.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:38:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 493
Location: Michigan, Troy
I was confused so early. It makes sense the S in the msd means sound. Some decoders have pin sockests for sound decoder add on's yes?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2021 18:14:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 5,917
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I was confused so early. It makes sense the S in the msd means sound. Some decoders have pin sockests for sound decoder add on's yes?


Not the Marklin ones. I think you are getting confused with the 21 pin connector the decoder plugs into. the mld/3 decoder and versions of the ESU decoders (along with other manufacturers) use the same connector for their decoders.

So if the loco has been fitted with the 21 pin base plate and a non-sound decoder, a sound decoder can be fitted by just replacing the non-sound decoder.

Don't be confused by some decoders being supplied by having wires fitted. do your research properly and check the catalogues and magazine articles.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ktsolias  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2021 23:25:17(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Joined: 01/05/2016(UTC)
Posts: 536
Location: Athens
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Depending wether you operate your trains and layout with a 6021, or Mobil or central station, the decoder choices may be different. The newest mld3 mfx decoders include sound. The basic low cost decoders have only up to 5 functions. Without looking up item numbers, you will need a high efficiency motor conversion kit with a 5 pole armature, and permanent magnet. One kit has a decoder, if still available. You can find everything on Marklin.de website, and or various retailers sites. The latest sound deciders are pre uploaded with steam, diesel, or electric loco sounds, or they can be customized by a dealer, or with a programmer you can buy. You load sound files to it via the web. You need a multimeter to measure the voltage and resistance of the headlight output from the decoder to determine what resistors you need to install to ensure flicker free led lights. Hope this helps you begin. Others may advise better.


Hi

The mSD3 decoders can be customized with two different ways:

1. With the use of the mDT3 software (free from Märklin website)

https://www.maerklin.de/...3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3/

and the decoder programmer 60971 (only for mLD3 or mSD3 decoders) 80€
This is the preferable method for me

2. With the use of the mDT3 software again exactly the same procedure and with a CS3 or CS2.
The advantage is that this way you can customize mLD2 and mSD2 decoders as well.

Have in mind that the above is only for retrofit decoders

The decoders who are already installed in Locos are locked.

You can use either the sounds or the packets from the Marklin Soundbibliothek
or even you can use your own recordings or .wav files from other sources


Regards

Costas
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2021 10:05:13(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Joined: 16/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 705
Location: Bangalore, India
Hello all,
Thank you so much for your inputs. With a bit of online research and inputs from fellow model railroaders, I got to know that ESU Decoder 59610 (V5) with a hamo magnet is a cheaper option when compared to MSD3. For the locos I mentioned in my first post, is ESU a viable option?
Regards,
Madhu
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2021 11:51:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Joined: 04/08/2018(UTC)
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
Thank you so much for your inputs. With a bit of online research and inputs from fellow model railroaders, I got to know that ESU Decoder 59610 (V5) with a hamo magnet is a cheaper option when compared to MSD3. For the locos I mentioned in my first post, is ESU a viable option?
Regards,
Madhu


Hi
Esu absolutely makes good decoders. Esu 58419 or 58449 might be a good choice. As for ESU hamo magnet, if you get that you will still use the old 3 pole anchor. With a motor conversion kit (eg. 60941), you get a 5 pole anchor.
if you go for Esu you also probably need their programer. unless you have a friend that has one.

the 60760 kit was suggested above, but please note that the decoder is old (launched in 2005) and lacks support for mfx and DCC.
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.408 seconds.