Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline poppa-7  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2020 00:27:17(UTC)
poppa-7

Hi Members
I have a Marklin BR94.5-18 which the motor after a very short running time started running erratically and squealing then the motor just seized. Has anyone else had this problem.
I though that I would return it to Marklin for a replacement or repair under warranty but I'm not sure how long I have had it as it was in my display cabinet for some time.
Any advice appreciate.
Regards Russell
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2020 04:09:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Russel, this is a known issue whereas the worm gear was over greased and the grease got into the motor., it all depends how long you've had this loco but at the same time if its to expensive to send the loco back to Märklin, I've got a spare motor (A$ 30.00 + postage) and you may find its cheaper to buy a motor than send it back to Germany and no guarantee its still under warranty.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2020 11:59:49(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
It was in the 2012 / 2013 production lot. So definetely out of warranty. What you could do is, if you have the time, remove the motor from the locomotive and power it with a 9 v battery to see if it spins freely. If it does then the problem lies in the gear box that is stuck with dried grease and this needs to be cleaned. When the motor is out try moving the wheels and see what happens. I use WD-40 for this type of work. But it is all up to you if you want to do all of these things.
Attached the service sheet.

37160 loco.pdf (511kb) downloaded 81 time(s).

Ciao
Marco
Offline Francois29  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2020 13:25:46(UTC)
Francois29

France   
Märklin has now issued a new motor for these br 94, to replace the original one, which was always defective.
Reference number is E235322.
I have sourced this new motor directly from the Märklin shop and fitted to my br 94 which enjoying running happily on my tracks.
The detail sheet has been updated on certain reference, that's where I found the new motor, less sensible to grease as the holes have been closed.

Francois
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Francois29
Offline David2  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2020 17:02:50(UTC)
David2

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Francois29 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin has now issued a new motor for these br 94, to replace the original one, which was always defective.
Reference number is E235322.
I have sourced this new motor directly from the Märklin shop and fitted to my br 94 which enjoying running happily on my tracks.
The detail sheet has been updated on certain reference, that's where I found the new motor, less sensible to grease as the holes have been closed.

Francois

I have done the same. It is very easy.
Offline DasBert33  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2021 22:01:28(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I am also having this issue for a while with a 37168 (BR94 DRG), so I am considering the fix as well. I did 'clean' the motor by running it off a DC supply. The motor used up to 2A with a lot of smoke but ran better afterwards, if only for a while. After standing still a little the same issue returned. Stuttering and stopping (triggering the decoder overcurrent protection).

But it is unclear to me whether my motor is supposed to have this issue. I know the original 37160 is definitely affected, but newer models should be better no? The questions is in fact whether this will fix it or not? Do I also need to order the mounting parts (E190941) or is just the motor enough?

Thanks for your advice,
Bert

Offline DasBert33  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2021 08:00:40(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
For completeness, my locomotive (#37168) was fixed by replacing the motor.

It was originally already equipped with the correct motor type (the replacement motor was the same), so you should be very careful when greasing this machine. The new motors can still have this issue too.

Bert

Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2021 01:06:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
The new motors can still have this issue too.

I think that a lot of recent Märklin models can have their motors damaged by over greasing the worm gears, particularly many steam locos. They have the worm gears very close to their motors and depending on the direction of running the worm gear can pack the grease into the motor and destroy it. I killed the motor in my 37015 that way, but at least the replacement was cheap and easily installed. I check for that when I service my locos and try to never over grease the worm gears.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2021 16:45:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, so not only the compact C sine motors then. Well, the cardan shafts must be very short, allowing oil to flow along them into the mtors, or splashed by the gears? Why not seal the motor shafts at the case end bearings, or at least use an absorbing pad there Marklin? This is below your standard of quality! Us modelers aren't perfect either. An iussue as simple as over lubricating should not render a motor ruined. Thankfully, these simple can motors are not costly to replace. I think only Roco's still have replacable brushes in them.
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2021 00:55:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I think only Roco's still have replaceable brushes in them.

My ESU Engineering Edition V200 has a very nice motor with replaceable brushes as well.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj