Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2021 21:41:40(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
As the title says: if I want to buy some rolling stock that are not of the Marklin brand which brand should I look at that will not give me trouble with k-tracks

Or which brand should I stay away from if that is easier?

Not talking locomotives, just rolling stocks for now.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2021 22:42:56(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
after years of following Märklin mailing lists and online groups and fora, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of threads about trains not working well end up being because:

a) they were not using original Märklin wheel sets
b) they were not using original couplers
c) they were not using Märklin rolling stock.

I have K tracks and only run Märklin rolling stock. I do not have reproducible derailments.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2021 23:46:01(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
after years of following Märklin mailing lists and online groups and fora, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of threads about trains not working well end up being because:

a) they were not using original Märklin wheel sets
b) they were not using original couplers
c) they were not using Märklin rolling stock.

I have K tracks and only run Märklin rolling stock. I do not have reproducible derailments.

That is nice to know thanks I will try to refrain myself from buying other brand but Marklin stores are far and few in my area (Montreal Canada) so temptation is high when I see other brands live.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2021 00:38:57(UTC)
Copenhagen

My experience with C track is that Roco generally runs fine. I think that I've only once have had to adjust wheel spacing on an axle on a three axled auto transporter.
With brands like Brawa and Piko and several Danish brands I sometimes have to adjust or change wheels.
I have no idea if my C track experience is of any use on K track though. I also don't know about the brands that are more readily available in North America.
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2021 01:04:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
So long your carriages (regardless of brand) have or supply interchangable Märklin wheel axles (AC).
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2021 03:18:12(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
My experience with C track is that Roco generally runs fine. I think that I've only once have had to adjust wheel spacing on an axle on a three axled auto transporter.
With brands like Brawa and Piko and several Danish brands I sometimes have to adjust or change wheels.
I have no idea if my C track experience is of any use on K track though. I also don't know about the brands that are more readily available in North America.

Thanks for that Roco is available and tickles my fancy often.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2021 03:19:46(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
So long your carriages (regardless of brand) have or supply interchangable Märklin wheel axles (AC).

I did not know some brand offered the choice. I will inquire.
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 27 March 2021 07:32:59(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I’ve been running Roco on Märklin k track. They have run well with both AC and DC wheels. They are relatively new production and seem to work well.
Offline amartinezv  
#9 Posted : 27 March 2021 10:39:26(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello everyone,
In my case, in my layout I have a mix of the 3 types of märklin tracks, M, K and C-track, and due to space restrictions the curves are R1 and some are R2, for a while I was tempted to buy wagons de roco and fleischmann, and bought some, the roco I sold them since they gave me many problems, especially derailments, those of fleischmann I have sold some and others I continue to use, although sometimes they also give problems, I had to add weight and change the axles to AC axles, (which is quite expensive), and in the end the conclusion I draw is that my model is märklin with märklin vias and the rolling stock must be märklin.
Also a long time ago I had many Electrotren cars that I ended up selling or trading for marklin material.
Greetings
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline rbw993  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2021 18:38:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I run many brands besides Marklin but they all work best with the proper AC wheelsets. Roco says their dealers will swap in the AC wheelsets. I have found they will if they have them. Couplers and buffers are another story, not all brands work well when fitted with the Marklin close coupler.

Roger
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2021 19:50:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I have a mix of M and K track, and a mix of all kinds of rolling stock.

1st issue is the wheels (flanges) spacing. This HAS to be adjusted to 13,9mm (max). I can manage NOT to change to AC-wheels, just by pressing the DC-wheels together. -But often I choose to change the wheelsets anyway, as I rely on feedback from un-isolated wheels.

2nd issue is the couplers. Märklin KK-couplers will normally NOT work with ROCO, Fleschmann, Lima/Rivarossi, Liliput wagons and locos.
Here I usually install a normal hook-and-loop coupler, which does not allow the rolling stock to run buffer-to-buffer.
What I also do, is to use Roco or Fleischmann KK-couplers between the wagons, if they are not to be separated anyway. (The case of my passenger trains)
As Roco/Fleischmann couplers can be used with Märklin coaches, there is always a way to assure that all the wagons in a given train are coupled CLOSE, and there are no derailments from coupler-interference.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2021 00:01:09(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Quote:
What I also do, is to use Roco or Fleischmann KK-couplers between the wagons, if they are not to be separated anyway. (The case of my passenger trains)
As Roco/Fleischmann couplers can be used with Märklin coaches, there is always a way to assure that all the wagons in a given train are coupled CLOSE, and there are no derailments from coupler-interference.

Sounds like a good plan.

And yes I will make sure to have wheel set for Marklin if I cannot resist buying other brands.
Offline Copenhagen  
#13 Posted : 01 April 2021 00:06:23(UTC)
Copenhagen

To add to hxmiesa's post, my experience is that there is a 3rd issue which is size of the flanges. Märklin wheels have quite large flanges. Other brands will often have smaller, more prototypical, flanges that will easier derail on Märklin tracks, because they can more easily be drawn or pushed off the rails.
Offline applor  
#14 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:00:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I run all the brands: Brawa, Roco, Fleischmann, Liliput, Piko - rollingstock and locomotives - on my Marklin K track with CS2 without problems. A number of rollingstock items still have DC wheelsets too as I don't have enough AC to change them over.

My only 'issue' I've had is wagons with DC wheelsets have a little 'wobble' over DKW (2275) points due to the Marklin design of the wheels actually driving on the flange tip for the crossover instead of on the rails. They still don't derail though.

The derail issues I've had is always related to axle width, usually too short and often causes momentary short circuits too. Easily fixed by just increasing the axle width. I think it's only happened when I've converted DC wheelsets to AC on locomotives front axles in order to trigger S88 detection (annoyingly often DC manufacturers still use DC wheelsets on the front bogie on locomotives sold as AC, they drive fine etc. but it means the front bogie wheels don't trigger S88 leading to automation overshots)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline hxmiesa  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2021 12:54:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
To add to hxmiesa's post, my experience is that there is a 3rd issue which is size of the flanges. Märklin wheels have quite large flanges. Other brands will often have smaller, more prototypical, flanges that will easier derail on Märklin tracks, because they can more easily be drawn or pushed off the rails.

I agree with that thought, but can only say that I have not experienced it on my own layout. (Anyway I don't currently PUSH any non-Märklin rolling stock)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Copenhagen  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2021 15:41:49(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

I agree with that thought, but can only say that I have not experienced it on my own layout. (Anyway I don't currently PUSH any non-Märklin rolling stock)

The problem occurs to me when backing into a fiddle yard or depot tracks and you're pushing the through a turnout that turns right or left. There is quite a large gap (on C track at least) at the frog so a tiny flange is more likely to get astray. Also if pulling a long ,heavy train through a curve cars with small flanges in the front end of the train can have a tendency to be pulled off the inside rail of the curve.