Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bertc3p0  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2021 08:56:34(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Hi,

I have a working Proof of Concept doing MS2 updates via Internet/VPN connection to a real CS2. This needs a SBC with CAN-Interface (avoids hassles with installing programs). Of course, the updates could be directly serviced by the SBC, but this constructions avoids any lawsuits by Maerklin.
The service itself would be without any costs. But a Paypal donate button would be setup on the web landing page.

Do you think this is useful ? How much would you pay for the SBC ($ - one time costs) ? Would you donate some money for an update ?

Regards

Gerd

Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2021 09:26:23(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: bertc3p0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have a working Proof of Concept doing MS2 updates via Internet/VPN connection to a real CS2. This needs a SBC with CAN-Interface (avoids hassles with installing programs). Of course, the updates could be directly serviced by the SBC, but this constructions avoids any lawsuits by Maerklin.
The service itself would be without any costs. But a Paypal donate button would be setup on the web landing page.

Do you think this is useful ? How much would you pay for the SBC ($ - one time costs) ? Would you donate some money for an update ?

Regards

Gerd

Märklin did present a new MS3 with USB to have possible by upgrade via PC and Mac.
Not sure if or when it arrives out...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline bertc3p0  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2021 10:34:50(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Märklin did present a new MS3 with USB to have possible by upgrade via PC and Mac.

interesting - do you have a link ?

Regards

Gerd
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2021 14:08:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

interesting - do you have a link ?

Regards

Gerd

I think Goofy is talking about the yet to be properly announced wireless control unit that will replace the RC3 unit that was a collaberation with Massoth, and Marklin announced has been terminated.
Offline Unholz  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2021 15:02:22(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Sorry, as al layman I only understand the title of the thread, to which I would answer "yes, happily". But the terms SBC and CAN interface mean nothing to me, so I can't say that I would be able to use the offer.

PayPal and a donation would be fine, as long as the service is cheaper than trying to locate a Märklin dealer who is willing to perform the update without me having to buy a Platinum Crocodile. Wink
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline vmsysprog  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2021 02:34:37(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, as al layman I only understand the title of the thread, to which I would answer "yes, happily". But the terms SBC and CAN interface mean nothing to me, so I can't say that I would be able to use the offer.

PayPal and a donation would be fine, as long as the service is cheaper than trying to locate a Märklin dealer who is willing to perform the update without me having to buy a Platinum Crocodile. Wink

Here in the USA, I pretty much deal exclusively with one dealer. He is more than willing to update my MS2 for free. I have to pay for shipping, both ways, but definitely cheaper then a platinum Kroc.

Steve
Offline bertc3p0  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2021 12:02:45(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

SBC means Single Board Computer like the Raspberry Pi. CAN is the Bus which is used by the Gleisbox and the MS2.

The SBC (like Raspberry Pi) including a CAN Interface like this one wouldn't cost as much as a Platinum Crocodile IMHO Wink
If you are lucky and have a Maerklin ditributor in the near, go to him and ask him for an update. That's definetly the better choice.

For instance if you are living in the Australien Outback contacting a person who has a CS2/CS3 might be a challenge. The offer updating the MS2 via internet might be interesting.

Gerd

Edited by user 21 March 2021 13:55:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2021 22:17:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Gerd,

If I understand this right, the solution would 'get the update' over the internet from an internet service site that is powered by a CS delivering the actual updates, via the TCP/IP internet, to a SBC hardware device at the users location. Then that device (SBC) once it has it, can send it to any mobile stations via the CAN bus by pretending to be a CS to the MS (as far as the MS can see) in terms of it offering up the firmware over the CAN bus. Is that right?

Thomas
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline bertc3p0  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2021 11:17:27(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Hi Thomas,
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Gerd,
If I understand this right, the solution would 'get the update' over the internet from an internet service site that is powered by a CS delivering the actual updates, via the TCP/IP internet, to a SBC hardware device at the users location. Then that device (SBC) once it has it, can send it to any mobile stations via the CAN bus by pretending to be a CS to the MS (as far as the MS can see) in terms of it offering up the firmware over the CAN bus. Is that right?

Thomas

that's right. Here a picture:
MS2 Remote Update

I would provide the left side: A CS2 connect to the Internet. The SBC (for example RPi) with a CAN Interface is on your side.

Regards

Gerd
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bertc3p0
Offline Polyphemus  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2021 13:37:48(UTC)
Polyphemus

Netherlands   
Hi Thomas,
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Gerd,

Thomas

that's right. Here a picture:
MS2 Remote Update

I would provide the left side: A CS2 connect to the Internet. The SBC (for example RPi) with a CAN Interface is on your side.

Regards

Gerd

Hi, sounds interesting. Which adapter do I need to connect the MS2 to a RPi?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Polyphemus
Offline aswap5  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2021 13:02:39(UTC)
aswap5

India   
It’s a really nice idea and I’d donate. But, the biggest issue is connecting the pi to the ms2. The ms2 and the track box use a very rare 10 pin DIN connector to communicate and the CAN board I had for an arduino uses a d-sub connector. I gave up trying to locate a 10 pin DIN connector a long time ago :-(
Ashok
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 27 March 2021 13:20:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: aswap5 Go to Quoted Post
It’s a really nice idea and I’d donate. But, the biggest issue is connecting the pi to the ms2. The ms2 and the track box use a very rare 10 pin DIN connector to communicate and the CAN board I had for an arduino uses a d-sub connector. I gave up trying to locate a 10 pin DIN connector a long time ago :-(
Ashok

Well, probably the easiest way to do that is to get a spare cable for an ms2 or ms1 ...
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2021 00:14:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: aswap5 Go to Quoted Post
...I gave up trying to locate a 10 pin DIN connector a long time ago :-(
Ashok

Have a look here -> https://www.minikits.com.au/MDP10 Even in these times of crazy freight costs, it should not cost much to get it from Australia to you..

I am happy to order some extras, if you want me to send one to you..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline aswap5  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2021 08:12:17(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Thank you. I’ll PM you in a bit.
Ashok
Offline bertc3p0  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2021 15:22:50(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Thanks for all of your responses. It looks like that the interest is not that high I've expected.

Even I'm going to shift my plans I would like to show some of my ideas/thoughts:
- if you are lucky and know somebody/dealer with a CS2/CS3 - meat him (with respect to to the pandemic) and do the update. There is no doubt that this is the best option
- you can not get paid for the update of the service itself. It's only about the service you are providing: CS2, power, programming, time
- I've planned a small OpenWRT router with a MINDIN10 socket (I have plenty of them) or a socket for E146781 cable to cconnect to the 60113/60116 box
- as side effect: this router could be used as computer interface for your favorite railroad controlling software
- people with Linux knowledge would not need such a router. They would only need a Socket CAN-Bus interface (like this for the RPi or similar for BananaPI) and a small peace of software (OpenSource)

Regards

Gerd
Offline Polyphemus  
#16 Posted : 29 March 2021 15:14:41(UTC)
Polyphemus

Netherlands   
Thanks for all of your responses. It looks like that the interest is not that high I've expected.

Even I'm going to shift my plans I would like to show some of my ideas/thoughts:
- if you are lucky and know somebody/dealer with a CS2/CS3 - meat him (with respect to to the pandemic) and do the update. There is no doubt that this is the best option
- you can not get paid for the update of the service itself. It's only about the service you are providing: CS2, power, programming, time
- I've planned a small OpenWRT router with a MINDIN10 socket (I have plenty of them) or a socket for E146781 cable to cconnect to the 60113/60116 box
- as side effect: this router could be used as computer interface for your favorite railroad controlling software
- people with Linux knowledge would not need such a router. They would only need a Socket CAN-Bus interface (like this for the RPi or similar for BananaPI) and a small peace of software (OpenSource)

Regards

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I'm sorry to read that the online update isn't going to be an option, I was very fond about it.

How does the "small OpenWRT router with a MINDIN10" compare to the SRSEII?

Regards,
Patrick
Offline bertc3p0  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2021 18:11:54(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Polyphemus Go to Quoted Post

I'm sorry to read that the online update isn't going to be an option, I was very fond about it.

from the technical perspective the OpenWRT router would be very similar to the SRSEII.
But the SRSEII board is optimized for size to fit into the Gleisbox. A candidate for the OpenWRT router would be GL-Inets GL-MT300N-V2 with an added Mini DIN10 socket for the CAN-Bus.
Of course, for the SRSEII it was planned to integrate the update service.

Regards

Gerd

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bertc3p0
Online marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 29 March 2021 18:52:24(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Sorry I kept highjacking your thread! My issue is resolved. Pending update was for the ms2.
Offline Polyphemus  
#19 Posted : 29 March 2021 19:49:43(UTC)
Polyphemus

Netherlands   

Of course, for the SRSEII it was planned to integrate the update service.

Regards

Gerd

I'm currently building my own SRSEII, based on v1.5 of the PCB and the info from your site. But I'm still waiting for a couple of parts. You say "was planned". So now it isn't anymore? Crying
Offline bertc3p0  
#20 Posted : 30 March 2021 08:41:43(UTC)
bertc3p0

Germany   

I'm currently building my own SRSEII, based on v1.5 of the PCB and the info from your site. But I'm still waiting for a couple of parts.
great to hear that people are building the SRSEII on their own :-) I'm also beaten by the chip shortage ...
Quote:

You say "was planned". So now it isn't anymore? Crying

In fact, you won't need to update via internet. The SRSEII (like the BananaPi) has a GB2/MS2 update progamm included which works (in the future) without a physical CS2. But the MS2 update program part needs some work. Hopefully I get it fixed soon.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bertc3p0
Online marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 30 March 2021 13:13:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Very intriguing. So a new item MS3 will have a USB? My MS2 came with version 3.55 firmware, but when I uploaded a locomotive photo icon to my CS3 with a USB stick, the MS2 reverted to version 3.1. I connected the CS3 to internet, updated it, but one for the MS2 was not available. It works fine, and all function icons still show up. 28 in all. I wonder if I can restore version 3.55, but I am not overly concerned, as it is a slave controller.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:20:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I connected the CS3 to internet, updated it, but one for the MS2 was not available.

The update for the ms2 and trackbox is inside the update for the cs3, The ms2 update download is not a seperate download. Then when an ms2 is plugged into the cs3 the cs3 will compare the ms2 version with what it has as a download, and if the download is later then will ask to update the ms2. Then when the ms2 is plugged into the trackbox it will update that with what it received from the cs3.

And no, the cs3 did NOT "update" your ms2 from 3.55 to 3.1, I think you will find it went to version 3.121 which is the latest I know of.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:35:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks' a ton Alan! I have not rebooted it yet today. I will follow up and let you know. I did power it up after moving it from my computer last night though after updating and disconnecting the LAN cable. It didn't show.
Online marklinist5999  
#24 Posted : 30 March 2021 18:42:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I connected the CS3 to internet, updated it, but one for the MS2 was not available.

The update for the ms2 and trackbox is inside the update for the cs3, The ms2 update download is not a seperate download. Then when an ms2 is plugged into the cs3 the cs3 will compare the ms2 version with what it has as a download, and if the download is later then will ask to update the ms2. Then when the ms2 is plugged into the trackbox it will update that with what it received from the cs3.

And no, the cs3 did NOT "update" your ms2 from 3.55 to 3.1, I think you will find it went to version 3.121 which is the latest I know of.

Yes, that is correct Alan! Lines were showing on both update menus for the ms2 and track box. I also connected it to the track box sepaerately and no updates were available.
I read that the CS2 will revert it to the fromerly installed version if you upload from a usb stick.
Why do I read on new locomotive descriptions from Marklin that the number of functions available depend on version3.55 or later for the ms2?

Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 31 March 2021 15:04:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Why do I read on new locomotive descriptions from Marklin that the number of functions available depend on version3.55 or later for the ms2?

Because that is the version of ms2 software where support for 32 functions starts. If you have an earlier version then only 16 functions are available.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online marklinist5999  
#26 Posted : 31 March 2021 21:45:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Because that is the version of ms2 software where support for 32 functions starts. If you have an earlier version then only 16 functions are available.

Mine supports 40 loco's and all functions on my 37473, totalling 28, but how is version 3.21 the same as 3.55?