Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline claus@nroed.dk  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2021 20:07:37(UTC)
claus@nroed.dk

Denmark   
I bought 2 X 60906 and built them into an old V200 and an old E63.
Both trains are working after the conversion in both analog and digital mode.

But the trains are running extremely slowly. And the same slow speed both in analog and digital.
I tried to set the max speed (V) to 100% and it didn't make any big difference.
Also, the trains has become very noisy.

The E63 runs in the wrong direction, so I tried to switch the wires to the coil (as suggested in the manual),
but then the train just sits on the track and makes engine noise but without moving one inch.

Any tips and tricks, as I would rather not just pull the decoder out and replace with a LokPilot V5 (which works well).

Regards
Claus

Offline Polyphemus  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2021 21:57:48(UTC)
Polyphemus

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: claus@nroed.dk Go to Quoted Post
I bought 2 X 60906 and built them into an old V200 and an old E63.
Both trains are working after the conversion in both analog and digital mode.

But the trains are running extremely slowly. And the same slow speed both in analog and digital.
I tried to set the max speed (V) to 100% and it didn't make any big difference.
Also, the trains has become very noisy.

The E63 runs in the wrong direction, so I tried to switch the wires to the coil (as suggested in the manual),
but then the train just sits on the track and makes engine noise but without moving one inch.

Any tips and tricks, as I would rather not just pull the decoder out and replace with a LokPilot V5 (which works well).

Regards
Claus

Maybe a stupid question, but can you turn the wheels by hand easily? I had the same problem on my locomotives, with a LokPilot 5. The problem was that over time, the motors were seized of age Blushing
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2021 22:31:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
Check that the switching range is not enabled somehow.
just recently added a 60906 to my 40 year old KLVM, and remember vaguely that it was something strange with the ABD.
but I reprogramed and remapped the decoder and after that everything was fine. just did a short function test before I did the reprogramming.

Offline PerR  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2021 09:31:32(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
Hi Claus,

did the two locomotives run well on analouge before you build in the decoders?

In general it is a good idea to clean the locomotive it first.

I will recommend to disassemble the motor and clean it from dust. Especially in the commutator, coal dust will be sitting in the space between the metal pieces.

Old hardned oil also have ro be cleaned out and new oil supplied. It is important that the wheels easyly can be turned when the motor has been disassembled.

Please be careful not to break then thin wires when disassemble and assemble the motor.

I have only mounted one 60906 decoder to my locomotives, and that was just to try it out.

Normally I am changing the motor with a 5-pole motor kit; 60941, 60943 or 60944 depending on the original motor type.

Best regards
Per

PS: if this does not help, maybe a local support can be offered
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PerR
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2021 11:02:11(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I have try 60906 in 4 or 5 locos

The motor after is very noisy at low revs and the movement is not perfect

The performance is better on LFCM and SFCM than on DCM.

I can see that the only use is on some motors where the available motor kits (60941, 60943, 60944) not fit (3092 3111 etc)

In all the other case is better to use a new motor kit and a mLD3 or mSD3 decoder

Another solution for the old locos with LFCM, SFCM and DCM motors are the use of a permanent magnet, (ESU has 4 different of them) and an ESU LokPilot decoder.

This solution is bit more expensive (about 10€) but really working EXCELLENT

I am not using 60906 any more. I don't think that was a successful product from Märklin.

The motors with field coil magnets are dead. The DC motors are far more better

Costas

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Burqueno  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2021 07:43:10(UTC)
Burqueno

United States   
I just installed one of these 60906 decoders in my 3482 (BR 221 Diesel) and it didn't work at all at first, I had to redo the red wire to the shoe before the CS3 recognized it. It ran backwards: the red reverse lights were on when it was going forward and the white headlights on when in reverse, so I had to swap the green and blue wires to the field coil around to get it going in the right direction. It works wonderfully now and will move in reverse with the speed set at ONE, and forward with speed set at THREE (all my other AC field coil motors won't budge until 15-20 on the dial). It is a bit noisy at these very slow speeds. but it would never run that slow before anyway.
Offline claus@nroed.dk  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2021 07:59:38(UTC)
claus@nroed.dk

Denmark   
Hi, talked to the shop where I bought the decoders, and they said that this problem usually is due to lack of oil.
Well, before I started to rebuild with the decoders, I cleaned everything well and made sure that the wheels ran perfectly smooth.
I even put a drop of oil in the small oil feeder for one of the side of the commutator axe. However, what I didn't pay attention to,
was the other side of the commutator axe. One drop of oil here solved the problem. And of course, this part of the engine runs pretty fast,
so any friction here will make a lot of noise and prevent the engine from running very fast.

That said, I agree that the 60906 should only be used where you need many outputs, and / or remain the possibility for analog operation.

I will switch to LokPilot with permanent magnet going forward.