Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GG1 Fan  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2021 04:34:18(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Greetings,

I am getting the feeling that M-Track now has very little value. Apparently when Marklin switched to the more modern track, large amounts of M-Track was dumped into the market.

Is this true?

I just opened up a large box of track and switches today. Sad for me if true.
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2021 06:39:51(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Earlier, I had layouts on M tracks only. Part of the excitement buying a new engine was the question, ”How will it behave on my tracks?”. I.e. at which turnouts will it derail? at which track section loose contact? etc. I sold the layout and all my M tracks in 2008, as we moved to another city. For some years, ice hockey and other family activities draw all my attention and time.

A few years ago, I opened my banana boxes and since then I’m building the biggest layout I have ever had (6 x 2 meters). Now, totally based on K and C tracks, as I noticed that almost everyone was doing this. And so far, I’m totally and surprisingly impressed! Everything runs well. I can run 20 trains simulaneously without fearing trains risk to derail at certain points. I can focus on fine-tuning braking sections and speed in the PC program. OK, laying those K flex tracks took a lot of time, but now, I can sit and look at trains negotiating those long widing curves forever. This has totally stopped my activities on layout terrain etc., causing serious project delayment. (Wait a minute: I have no time-schedule on this hobby.) On the negative side, I don’t get enough conditions for sleep some nights...

I believe the price drop on M tracks have three main reasons:

(1) People moving to C or K tracks.
(2) People leaving the hobby, partly due to bad M track layouts.
(3) People not being able to continue on their hobby.

The Virus seems to be re-introducing a lot of people to the hobby, but my guess is that after a while they also go for option 1 above, which adds additional supply to the market.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2021 08:15:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Plenty of M track still on eBay. I'm not selling mine. I won't let it go that cheap either. It's in great condition.
However, I am not using it on my new layout. It's all C, except for one short M bridge. It has c transition tracks at the ends.
Maybe our grandkids will use M track, or I can Set up around Christmas tree with 6021 controller.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2021 09:29:03(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: GG1 Fan Go to Quoted Post
I am getting the feeling that M-Track now has very little value. Apparently when Marklin switched to the more modern track, large amounts of M-Track was dumped into the market.
Is this true?

I dont think so.
The M-track was gradually phased out, while the complete C-track sortiment was built up. The transition took around a decade. (Even though M-track was descataloged in 2001, you could still find it in the shops)
I have never seen any sudden "dumping".
It is probably true that the demand for M-track will decline to an almost zero over time. Maybe what your are noticing is that that time has arrived!? ;-)

No sane railorader would prefer M-track to any other system... Flapper

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2021 15:01:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Yes there is plenty of M track available here in Europe especially in Germany and not expensive too. Sorry GG1Cursing .
The last M track made were so precise that you couldn't see the intersection between 2 tracks (in the 1980s).

The track is excellent even for digital operation but it must not be bent and joiner must be checked / made tight again.
The only drawbacks are:
* large switch lanterns (may interfere with long coaches)
* difficulty to make long contact zones for recent digital block systems.
* the track is a bit noisy but rubber noise absorbers were available at the time

The lanterns should be fitted with LED lamps (long lasting, low consumption).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2021 15:21:09(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Just found some 'new old stock' 5147s in boxes dated 1996. These are the sorts of things you have to pay money for.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline GG1 Fan  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2021 16:34:23(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Michael and the others posting

Well, thank you for the information. I do have a good amount of track from the 1980's and I do recall how well made, and expensive, that material was at the time. I have switches that look as though they have never been used.

I have some M-Track that is so old that on the reverse side of it, there is a double amount of black plastic insulation. My father discovered by trial and error that if you snip off the aluminum connectors, you could convert that type of track to run DC trains. We had a layout at a summer cottage that ran both AC Marklin and DC trains, but it all looked like M-Track.

I heard that C-track does not require the extensive wiring jobs that the M-track needed. That is such a plus.

For me, that 'clack, clack' sound that the M-track makes is what model RR should sound like. I remember laying down special cork board along the track pathway to muffle the sound a bit.

Analog days!!
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2021 16:34:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Anybody building a new layout will go for C track or K if they like ballasting. I reckon M track will only be bought by those who already have it. Can’t see M track having any great value.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 26 March 2021 16:43:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: GG1 Fan Go to Quoted Post
Michael and the others posting

Well, thank you for the information. I do have a good amount of track from the 1980's and I do recall how well made, and expensive, that material was at the time. I have switches that look as though they have never been used.

I have some M-Track that is so old that on the reverse side of it, there is a double amount of black plastic insulation. My father discovered by trial and error that if you snip off the aluminum connectors, you could convert that type of track to run DC trains. We had a layout at a summer cottage that ran both AC Marklin and DC trains, but it all looked like M-Track.

I heard that C-track does not require the extensive wiring jobs that the M-track needed. That is such a plus.

For me, that 'clack, clack' sound that the M-track makes is what model RR should sound like. I remember laying down special cork board along the track pathway to muffle the sound a bit.

Analog days!!

The amount of wiring isn't any more or less. You can cut and splice C track.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 26 March 2021 22:13:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

So, you've just called xxup insane......Laugh

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline nhumps  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2021 01:26:30(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
I’ve just been selling some m track on our equivalent of ebay here in New Zealand and have been surprised at the rather high prices I’ve got. In some cases 2/3 or more to the cost of similar pieces in new c track locally supplied
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#12 Posted : 27 March 2021 10:48:56(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
Higdadynz wrote:
"So, you've just called xxup insane......Laugh"

One look at my avatar Cool and one may discern my levelLOL LOL

Life is wonderful here in the asylum!Love
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 27 March 2021 12:32:25(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

So, you've just called xxup insane......Laugh

Well, if the foot fits the boot... LOL

Best regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 27 March 2021 23:49:41(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
M-track rules!

All praise be to the mighty M-track. Toss out that nambby pamby sissy plastic rubbish.. In 50 more years M-track will still be going, while that plastic rubbish has crumbled away to dust..

I am not crazy.. Only a crazy plastic loving whale-hating person would call a environmentally responsible M-track lover a crazy person.. Just think how many whales die every year from eating C-track and its half-breed cousin the K-track.. Scary... Woot

Save the Planet - give up the C & K and embrace the love and sound of M.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dominator  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2021 01:34:41(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Yay from one crazy Marklin lover to another. Last time I saw you Adrian you were as sane as I was. Ha Ha.

If you think you wont get clacking from C track, you may need to think again. I recently bought some C track [ just for the hell of it ] to use as a test circuit with a parking bypass lane. It does clack because the ends of the rails are chamfered, which allows the wheel to fall in and out of the gaps. It is quieter than M track. I have all my M track laid on soft-board which reduces the sound considerably compared to running directly on plywood.

Yes

M-track rules!Flapper

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 28 March 2021 01:46:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that perhaps during the pandemic, a lot of people may have done some work on their setups and a number may have decided to switch to C-Track and this has resulted in an increase in the amount of M-Track traded or sold to dealers or sold online, which may have lowered the prices. It could also be that the number of people seeking M Track may have dropped, either scenario which might cause the Track pieces to sell for less, thusly lowering the resale value.

I have never seen any M Track that could be used for DC. The track is welded to the metal base and unless you sever the track in two, you would have a short the minute you tried to power one rail with plus and the other with negative.

K Track could be used for DC as long as no rolling stock with uninsulated wheels was on the track. Switch tracks, crossings, etc could not be used as the two rails were connected on those track sections. The feeder tracks also joined the two rails, so if you wanted to power AC or DC, you had to design your own feeders that were not cross-connected.

Perhaps the memory might be a little foggy and you might remember changing between Maerklin AC and three rail DC, where the centre rail was used a + and both outer rails were used as -, which offered a way to run DDC without having the issue of return loops. The loco would have pick ups for the centre and on one side, but when turned around, it would use the other rail for the -.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline GG1 Fan  
#17 Posted : 28 March 2021 05:06:57(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Mike C,

I will have to post some pictures for you.

Back in the 1950's or early 1960's, Marklin manufactured M-Track with a blacked lined double insulation between the third rail and rest of the track. You have to flip the track section over to see this. It was the very, very early version of the M-track. By snipping off a very thin metal connector, thus keeping the current off the third center rail, the right and left rails above are then isolated by this black insulation. Then, M-track becomes DC current track.

The switches will not convert. Never the less, we were able to run AHM trollies down the center of our village streets in a tight loop. I also had a simple outside loop DC, M-Track for The Broadway Limited GG1, AHM locomotive and coaches.

Back in the early days of M-track, they were built rugged.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GG1 Fan
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 28 March 2021 11:17:54(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
M-track rules!
... C-track and its half-breed cousin the K-track..

... please, Adrian ... Confused OhMyGod RollEyes ...

Don't you mean "and its purebred cousin the K-track.." Flapper Laugh :

UserPostedImage

what a beautiful track it is ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 28 March 2021 18:33:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I have never seen any M Track that could be used for DC. The track is welded to the metal base and unless you sever the track in two, you would have a short the minute you tried to power one rail with plus and the other with negative.

You can easily run DC on M-track. No problems with that!
In fact there is/was(?) a "famous" danish RR-club that do/did just that.
You still need the slider of course!
If you want to use standard DC trafos, then the stator-coil can be permanently wired -OR- substituted by a HAMO magnet. The richtungsumschalter can also be done away with.

To be clear; You can run - on both tracks and the + on the pukos. -But works well with DC instead of AC!
Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline JohnjeanB  
#20 Posted : 28 March 2021 19:00:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

There may be a confusion with the precursor of the M Track: the Modell track (3800 and 3900) where the 3 "rails" could be isolated by cutting an electric bridge under each rail.
Here is an extract of the 1954 catalogue. First Märklin track with studs, separate plastic ties and large diameters (1,20 and 1.10 m) but expensive (approx 2 times more expensive) and no double slip switch
Modellgleis.png (2,974kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#21 Posted : 28 March 2021 22:18:10(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
Its a hooby! Depending on your interest you choose whst you like. I like M-track and hsve s few hundred meters if them in my layout. Derailments only occurs in bad points that are not adjusted. With a minimum of adjustment every ting works very well. It rattles an looks the way i prefer.

If you prefer smoother looks and less noise, M-track must be terrible, better sell it then and move on to C or K track.

But all three systems work, all of them with their own benefits.

My 100$ C track pair of electrical points will break doen long before my trusted 5202, but my new long passenger coaches will only work wirh C track points.

Enjoy yor chouse of track!

Henrik
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Henrik Schütz
Offline Harvey  
#22 Posted : 31 March 2021 01:08:06(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I recently changed my M track to partial K. My freight line remains M while my passenger line was changed to K (except for a small storage area). Reason for the change, several of the newer long passenger cars would derail. Not necessarily the fault of the track. ...

I tried to sell the M track but no buyers in the local area. So, boxed up. I use the switching tracks as possible replacements on the freight line. At some point I will create a small M track layout on the floor for our grandson to run trains (my layout is on a table). First, I have to get him hooked on Marklin's children sets. He's not yet 2 and so that is some time off.

If some is local to NY and needs M track, I have a few hundred.

Regards
Harvey
Offline GG1 Fan  
#23 Posted : 04 April 2021 07:28:57(UTC)
GG1 Fan

<<<M Track: the Modell track (3800 and 3900) where the 3 "rails" could be isolated by cutting an electric bridge under each rail.>>>

This is exactly what I was referring to. That type of track has insulation on the bottom of it, allowing the third rail to be isolated. It will then run DC trains, like the small trolley cars that I have.
Offline carlos.rivas16752  
#24 Posted : 05 April 2021 13:53:04(UTC)
carlos.rivas16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I recently changed my M track to partial K. My freight line remains M while my passenger line was changed to K (except for a small storage area). Reason for the change, several of the newer long passenger cars would derail. Not necessarily the fault of the track. ...

I tried to sell the M track but no buyers in the local area. So, boxed up. I use the switching tracks as possible replacements on the freight line. At some point I will create a small M track layout on the floor for our grandson to run trains (my layout is on a table). First, I have to get him hooked on Marklin's children sets. He's not yet 2 and so that is some time off.

If some is local to NY and needs M track, I have a few hundred.

Regards
Harvey

After 50 years using M track I´m also switching to C track. I plan to sell all the M stuff but I´ll try EBay better than my local area.

Anyway I never had noticeable derailments with M track.

Regards
Carlos