Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ricinport  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2021 11:43:26(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Hi

I've started installing the catenary on my layout.
It's quite fiddly and going to take a few sessions and longer than anticipated.

Until the catenary is finished I can't run my 88438 with the pantograph up.
However I can't see in the instructions how to lower it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

https://www.marklin.com/...ts/details/article/88438

Rick
Offline Ricinport  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2021 11:50:57(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Cancel that. It was literally just a question of pushing it down gently.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ricinport
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2021 17:41:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Just a quick note...

If you are talking about lowering the collector on the roof of the locomotive, that is called lowering the pantograph.

Lowering the catenary would refer to reducing the height of the wire suspended above the tracks.

When I was young, my mom always used to ask me to lower the stereo, so I would take it off the shelf and put it on the floor. Words matter.

Regards and have a good day

Mike C
Offline Ricinport  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2021 18:23:51(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   

Thanks for the English lesson Mike.

I repeat:

'I can't run my 88438 with the pantograph up' - 'I can't see in the instructions how to lower it'.

As you say - 'words matter'.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ricinport
H0
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2021 18:29:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Ricinport Go to Quoted Post
'I can't run my 88438 with the pantograph up' - 'I can't see in the instructions how to lower it'.
As you say - 'words matter'.
Your post is clear, but the title of this thread is "Lowering the Catenary". You should be able to edit it when you edit the first post.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Ricinport  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2021 22:13:08(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
@HO
Fair point but I still wasn't expecting the spelling police here.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2021 22:26:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Not the spelling police. Just trying to understand what you were trying to say. We have previously had topics where the pantograph was not maintaining contact with the catenary line and the author wanted help on lowering the catenary so that the pantograph would remain connected when running. The solution in that case was the mount the masts directly on the layout board rather than clipping them to the track sections.

For the record, most pantographs are spring loaded. They extend when released and they stay down when pushed down so that the little clip engages to hold them in the down position.

In any case, I see that you found the solution yourself. Good luck with setting up the masts and line. Will you be using power from the catenary or is it just for decoration?
I remember when I was a kid, the little sparks in the dark were so cool.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Ricinport  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2021 15:08:32(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Thanks @mike c

I originally purchased all of the Marklin track packs S+E+T1,T2,andT3 and at the same time the two corresponding catenary packs, one for S+E, the other for T1,2 and 3.
I've since made a layout loosely based on Marklin's track packs plus an extra central 8.
So I've also purchased a few extra catenary pieces to hopefully do the extra central 8.

I did all of this with great enthusiasm.

I've since got the catenary kit boxes out a few times but barely sorted the installation.
To be honest it's trickier and more fiddly than I was expecting and my enthusiasm wanes. Plus the included Marklin instructions aren't great for a complete novice.
I get sidetracked easily and move over to doing a bit more scenery or even just some running :-)

It is my intention though to install it in a working mode. It's pretty to look at but I wouldn't install it simply for aesthetics. I've purchased a second power pack specifically for the catenary operation too.

So the investment is there and it needs to be done. I'll have a good session this weekend.
I'll probably do the inner 8 first and see how it goes.

@Mike C, you mention the sparks. Browsing yesterday I see you can even buy now led's to replicate the sparks :-)