Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Keyser  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2021 06:37:07(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
I have a 3157 BR 60 locomotive that runs fine. The lights work and change on direction changes. But they will not turn off. On the other three engines that I have the lights will turn on and off. But not this one. It has the same 8 dipswitch decoder as the others and it is hooked up the same. I have an old 6023 control box that the only function I can control is turning the lights on and off. It just does not work on this one locomotive. The locomotives are run digitally. The accessories are analog. Any ideas?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2021 10:29:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Keyser Go to Quoted Post
I have an old 6023 control box that the only function I can control is turning the lights on and off.
Does the loco have Telex?
Since the decoder only has a single function (which is not necessarily headlights), for some locos the function is Telex and the lights are always on.
Maybe it's a Delta decoder where the lights are always on.
A picture of the decoder might help to clarify this.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Keyser  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2021 17:09:37(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
The best that I can give you with my limited knowledge is, maybe. While the rear coupler does not have any wires going to it, it does have a copper ground going to it along with a strange hole above it. Is this a magnet to make the coupler work? In any case the light function button, which is the only button on the 6023 controller, does not activate it.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2021 17:33:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Keyser Go to Quoted Post
In any case the light function button, which is the only button on the 6023 controller, does not activate it.
The button is "function", not lights. In most cases the lights are the "function".
So maybe the loco has Telex couplers that are connected to "function".

The loco was analogue when it was sold and we can only speculate how it was converted. Pictures could help.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Keyser  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2021 17:53:08(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Thank you for your input. I will have to get pictures later tonight.
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2021 21:12:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This was an analog lok that was converted to digital.
To avoid flickering, the lights would have to be rewired so that the live and return went to a function output on the decoder.
The original model likely used the locomotive frame for the return, with one wire leading to the reverse unit.
My guess is that during the conversion, the lights were simply connected to the same output as the motor, so it goes on directionally with the motor and is not independently connected to a function terminal.

The other possibility is that unlike the other locomotives, this one may have a decoder that will work with the 6021 with the dip switches set (AFAIK 2 on) and may not offer functions in the older Motorola parameters.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Keyser  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2021 20:29:07(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
For all of you that have helped with your input, thank you. The long wait is due to work getting in the way of play. Correct me if I am wrong. If the lights are hooked up to the gray and yellow wire on the decoder, I am leaning toward the decoder being set for the function to be set for something other than the lights. Since I have a 6023 box that will only control one function, I cannot control the lights or change the one function that the function button controls. To do so I would need to upgrade to a mobile or central station. Does this ideas make since? Also, since the locomotive did not come with anything other than lights, why does the rear coupler have a contact point between it and the frame? Is this so that the rear articulating wheels will also ground the locomotive?