Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2021 20:27:28(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
OK so I have “finished” my CS2 as described elsewhere and am looking at the variations of CS3. Now I know this subject has been dealt with before but there is almost too much to sift through.

My layout comprises 15 or so loks, 40 powered turnouts, signals and uncouplers and 10 circuit tracks and a single. S88 .We have a mixture of k83, M83 and M84 and a number of turnouts and signals with built in decoders . My CS2 came as part of an LGB start set so I occasionally run a G gauge shunting frame with four turnouts and uncouplers. It came with Power supply 51095 which I use throughput. I have an MS2. with power supply 66361 etc. Since my incident I have tried getting away with the MS2 but I think its too hard not so much on the loks but dashing backwards and forwards on the layout control.

So for the future I will probably substitute loks but not grow greatly, nor will the layout expand more (Some of you would pass out if you saw the closed in nature of the layout). I am definitely no into computer layout control expansion and have demonstrated recently how fudgy fingered I am getting so no great technical work

So this is my thoughts on a project list:

Purchase a CS 3 60226

Keep the Power supply (subject to testing )although some think its “power may not have helped when thing were going wrong. So I may buy 60042

Buy a link 88 60883 to be powered by my existing 66361

Buy the English version of the CS3 book due shortly.

Your thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2021 20:49:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have the CS3 Plus. Saves buying a link etc so less clutter on the table controlling the layout. Works well and S88 connects easily. You will get lots of different opinions and in the end it’s your choice.

PS off track your parcel sent yesterday.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2021 17:05:55(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I bought a CS3 when I felt my CS2 was getting overwhelmed. I now have the CS2 hooked into the CS3 as an auxiliary controller. I am still sorting this out as the CS3 makes a mess of the layout diagrams on the CS2 when they sync. But overall I am happy with the CS3 which I bought because I already had the Link S88 and don't intend to hook up anything else. If you never intend tp add other controllers the CS3 is fine. The CS3+ offers better expansion options.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2021 20:22:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I got a CS3 plus after going to and fro between the ECOS 2 and it. I watched a comparison on youtube between them, and the Roco Z21. The Roco must remain Wi-Fi connected and use a phone or tablet to have a screen. Marklin has better color and graphics now than ESU, and it's all touch screen.
ESU made the first M central station. Thy parted ways in part due to Kingsbridge Capital. The ESU had a better processor, so all they had to do was tweak the 2. Marklin has had three since.
Just the CS3 I should have got, but I thought I could directly connect my 6021 to the bottom S88 port. Turns out I'd need a 6021 connect box item 60882 I believe. Not many around. Besides, I don't know if I'll need to connect it, also having an MS2. The guy in the tutorial has Marklin, but says they are all good, and all work with MM, and DCC. The ECOS and Roco Z21 also work with Railcom. Marklin doesn't. Decide what you need, or want. Just my 2 sent-se worth.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2021 07:06:27(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
OK so I have “finished” my CS2 as described elsewhere and am looking at the variations of CS3. Now I know this subject has been dealt with before but there is almost too much to sift through.

My layout comprises 15 or so loks, 40 powered turnouts, signals and uncouplers and 10 circuit tracks and a single. S88 .We have a mixture of k83, M83 and M84 and a number of turnouts and signals with built in decoders . My CS2 came as part of an LGB start set so I occasionally run a G gauge shunting frame with four turnouts and uncouplers. It came with Power supply 51095 which I use throughput. I have an MS2. with power supply 66361 etc. Since my incident I have tried getting away with the MS2 but I think its too hard not so much on the loks but dashing backwards and forwards on the layout control.

So for the future I will probably substitute loks but not grow greatly, nor will the layout expand more (Some of you would pass out if you saw the closed in nature of the layout). I am definitely no into computer layout control expansion and have demonstrated recently how fudgy fingered I am getting so no great technical work

Purchase a CS 3 60226

Keep the Power supply (subject to testing )although some think its “power may not have helped when thing were going wrong. So I may buy 60042

Buy a CS3!
I have 60226 and also digital accessories m83, m84 and Universal power supply unit 60822.
I can get a new link 88 60883 too but i decides to wait because this system is for to control automatic which i see waste when i want instead control over my locomotive by self.
I too will get the english version of the CS3 book second generation.
The digital system CS3 works nice but i believe Märklin are slow by upgrade the system.
If you feel to buy a CS3 just do it and i recommended you get the 60226.
60216 are more expensive and allows you to connect 60226 as slave too, but to use two units are waste of time and much more expensive when you have possible to connect computer or and use Märklin app via Iphone/Ipad too.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2021 12:49:13(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

Purchase a CS 3 60226

Buy a CS3!
I have 60226 and also digital accessories m83, m84 and Universal power supply unit 60822.
I can get a new link 88 60883 too but i decides to wait because this system is for to control automatic which i see waste when i want instead control over my locomotive by self.
I too will get the english version of the CS3 book second generation.
The digital system CS3 works nice but i believe Märklin are slow by upgrade the system.
If you feel to buy a CS3 just do it and i recommended you get the 60226.
60216 are more expensive and allows you to connect 60226 as slave too, but to use two units are waste of time and much more expensive when you have possible to connect computer or and use Märklin app via Iphone/Ipad too.

Yes, I need the book! No regret buying a CS3+. Perhaps for resale to a club or someone with a huge layout wanting to connect 2 together. I have hopefully 25 or so years more to live and or before I sell everything. Otherwise auction lot or estate sale will be huge. Between trains and home gym (not cheesy) equipment. I think we've spent close to that since the gyms closed last March.
Anywho, in the past marklin may have been late with updating the CS 1, and 2 software, but no more. Mine was made judging as near as I can by the serial number, last Feb., or April. When I connected it to the web, it had a short update to install. It also did one for the MS2. They use Linux Debian open platform software, and Marklin has it''s own developers according to the Youtube tutorial I saw. Happy railroading!Love

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline supermoee  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2021 08:43:43(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I have the CS3 Plus. Saves buying a link etc so less clutter on the table controlling the layout.
David

Hello David

yes, but is more expensive than a 60226 and l88 combo. The l88 can manage up to 99x s88 modules, 33 of them in the old desing version. The CS3+ can manage only 33 modules in the newest version. the ammount should worry only people who have really big layouts, but the fact to keep the old s88 modules is a winning argument for the cheaper combo.

rgds

Stephan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 25 February 2021 11:04:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've been considering the CS3 v CS3+ question.

I was initially coming down on the side of the CS3+ because it had galvanic isolation and it can act as a slave to other CS3's.

I will have to purchase a S88 Link regardless of which CS3 I get because I have legacy Viessmann 5217 S88 devices, and only the S88 Link has the legacy 4 pin ribbon cable connector.

However it has now been confirmed by Marklin that the 60226 CS3 does have galvanic isolation, so that removes that black mark against the CS3.

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Actually Goofy makes a really good point here.

I'm not sure that the Marklin App supports the CS3/CS3+ (I don't think it does), but you can certainly use a Laptop / Computer / Tablet / Smartphone as a remote controller to a CS3 using the VNC client on those devices and the webserver on the CS3.

Makes me pretty much opt towards the 60226 CS3 rather than the 60216 CS3+. Our club layouts aren't running a CS3 yet, so there's no point having a CS3+ in case I wanted to add an additional controller there. The club has 2 CS2's and that is what is being used on the club layouts.

If you don't know how to use a CS3 remotely controlled by a Computer using VNC Viewer watch this video (mute the sound if the music annoys you!).

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 25 February 2021 11:58:15(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thank you all for your replies.

I have made conclusions to the issue as follows:

I have ordered and received one 60883 Link S88 and one power supply 60042

I have joined up to MSL Premium which will give me 10% off a chosen purchase and I have made reservation on 60226 CS3 and am like a fart in a trance watching & waiting.

I have spent some time "organising" loks and accessories. The layout developed over the years with somewhat random allocation of turnout etc addresses and using a MS2 is chaotic
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2021 17:01:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure that the Marklin App supports the CS3/CS3+ (I don't think it does), but you can certainly use a Laptop / Computer / Tablet / Smartphone as a remote controller to a CS3 using the VNC client on those devices and the webserver on the CS3.

I assume you are referring to the Main Station app David. I was pleased to see that it does work with the CS3 after having been told that it does not. It still has some issues, just as it did with the CS2, but overall it works well and I use it almost every time I run my trains.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj