Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H5463  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2021 04:20:33(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Having two Marklin locos, same issues on MS2: the two's F4(ABV, off) and F5 (Squealing brakes sound) are both no response to my MS2. And they are all new stuffs (two engines and MS2) for weeks or days since purchased. What is happening??

By the way, thanks folks on my previous post concern registering a Roco loco on MS2. Turns out the loco's driving direction is on the opposite side of MS2. I tried to change CV. The MS2 gave me a hard time, just stuck on "Step 1" to look for the right CV. Occasionally it allowed me to move to Step 2 for changing the value. In my case, it is CV: 29, Value: 01. Guess what? I did change the CV successfully, the direction finally cooperating with MS2. But, while other functions went well as before, the lights were now all gone!

Eventually, I just pushed the "reset" bottom, and the loco came back as before, with an opposite direction as the original setting!

Anyway. For my new problems, the two new locos' irresponsive F4 and F5 on the MS2, please advise. Thank you!!!

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2021 10:23:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: H5463 Go to Quoted Post
the two's F4(ABV, off) and F5 (Squealing brakes sound) are both no response to my MS2.
The function is "squealing brakes off" and the effect is that you no longer hear squealing brakes.
Many noobs never hear the squealing brakes - that's a related, but different story.
"ABV off" turns acceleration and braking delay off. You only notice the difference when you accelerate and brake.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2021 10:39:09(UTC)
Copenhagen

Brake squeal also requires that the engine sound is on and usually that the engine is moving at a reasonable speed before turning control down to zero - or close to zero.

And sometimes decoders seem to have a will of their own...

Edited by user 22 February 2021 17:06:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline H5463  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2021 14:24:52(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Yeah, maybe so, MS2 has its own will!

After comparing you may see the difference:

Roco loco's ABV:https://youtu.be/E-TvmPfI2WY (it works fine)

Marklin's ABV and squealing brakes sound:https://youtu.be/6HDrtxlayzA (not working at all)
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 15:04:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H5463 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin's ABV and squealing brakes sound:https://youtu.be/6HDrtxlayzA (not working at all)
I can see clearly that you do not know what to expect.

The effect of "ABV off" only shows when you change the speed (which you do not do in the video).
The effect of "squealing brakes off" only shows when you brake really hard (which you do not do in the video).

The Roco loco probably has a function key for "ABV off" and "shunting mode on". The effect of "shunting mode on" shows immediately.
Most Märklin locos do not have a key for "shunting mode", but it can be configured with e.g. a Central Station.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H5463  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2021 15:15:07(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Exactly I don’t. Thanks for enlightening. Many things need to learn!