Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lrlgartner  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2021 23:09:18(UTC)
lrlgartner

Australia   
I am thinking of replicating what happens with the Glacier Express (real life).
At times two trains are hooked up to each other and then pull the carriages.
What I was wondering is if I have two working analogue trains hooked up to each other and running on the track pulling carriages, if that could cause damage?
The reason is that one analogue train is likely to run faster and hence either pushing or pulling the other one.
Will that cause any damage?
Thanks
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2021 23:47:19(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: lrlgartner Go to Quoted Post
I am thinking of replicating what happens with the Glacier Express (real life).
At times two trains are hooked up to each other and then pull the carriages.
What I was wondering is if I have two working analogue trains hooked up to each other and running on the track pulling carriages, if that could cause damage?
The reason is that one analogue train is likely to run faster and hence either pushing or pulling the other one.
Will that cause any damage?
Thanks

Provided the two locomotives are reasonably speed matched, I can't see why there should be a problem and I've never experienced any when I have done it. Indeed, it's quite useful as if one loco hits a dirty bit of track the other will likely nudge it onto a cleaner bit. If the locomotives aren't relatively close in speed then you're likely to see derailments, which will be so irritating you won't do it for long!

Hope this helps, all the best

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline lrlgartner  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2021 23:52:58(UTC)
lrlgartner

Australia   
Thanks Chris
That was quick. Thanks for the reply...
Good point about the speed differentials...
I was concerned about burning out the motors or damaging the internals (cogs.. etc)
Very much appreciated.
As a matter of interest, what was the reason you wanted to have two locomotives hooked up to each other?
Laurence
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2021 00:06:23(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: lrlgartner Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Chris
That was quick. Thanks for the reply...
Good point about the speed differentials...
I was concerned about burning out the motors or damaging the internals (cogs.. etc)
Very much appreciated.
As a matter of interest, what was the reason you wanted to have two locomotives hooked up to each other?
Laurence

In my experience, if a loco is overloaded it’s wheels will spin rather than stalling the motor, so that’s relatively harmless.

Most of my layout is on a gradient, so if I want to run a long train I need to double-head to get the traction.

Cheers

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 00:06:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Hope you are well.

I would think coupling two similar locomotives together to pull a long string, would not be a significant influence on the motor or locomotive in general. Perhaps in a scientific study, with controlled and calibrated test, the results may show more wear and tear on the parts etc.

Sure there will be times on the track, where one loco might be slower than the other or one might stop on the track and force the other to pull through by itself. But these period are brief and momentary and should not cause damage. Perhaps some of our fellow members may respond and say I didn’t consider something, in which case I too will be “educated “ .

I routinely connect two “bo-bo” type BR 110 or 111, one with a five pole and another with a three pole, and have not seen a problem and am able to pull significantly more wagons. I don’t believe I am taking some sort of risk in doing this.

It goes back to many factors regarding issues which influence your train. For example, is the track clean, the locomotive clean and lubed without damaged parts, no issues with the track, inclines within acceptable standards, controller up to standards, etc. Of course, if you have planned and maintained your train system, long life and enjoyment should be your reward.

Enjoy.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Ricinport  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:54:00(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
I'm half way through my lock-down Z project.

I wanted plenty of undulation and I used some Woodland scenics polystyrene inclines and risers to achieve a mountainous feel.
I'm new to this and didn't plan very well.
I used the 4% inclines for the main oval (rises front to back) but in the middle cross-over I doubled to get close to 6% incline to cross a bridge.

I had read that a 4% incline was pretty much the limit and now I see why.
Whilst all of my locos can climb the layout I'm very limited in the number of coaches or trucks I can add.

I don't regret the plan as being small (115 x 55 cm) a few trucks keeps the look balanced but if I want to pull more then say 3 coaches or 6 wagons I have had to start playing with using two loco's and it's quite successful.

As mentioned above the trick is to using loco's with similar motor size.

@Irlgartner - In a specific answer to your question I don't think there will be any damage.
So now I'm actively purchasing Loco's that come as doubles.

I have just today received an American diesel 88198 which I'm hoping will haul at least 10 smallish trucks up my 6% incline.
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/88198

I'm sorely tempted by the pairing of 88627
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/88627
and it's 'partner' 88626
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/88626

If you look at the product description of 88626 it states at the bottom '88626 can be added to 88627 for double the pulling power'.
So Marklin is openly advocating the use of two locos together.
I note that they both have the same spec. motor so they should work in harmony.

The only downside I can see here is the cost.
This new hobby is quite a strain on the wallet. Good job the missus is relatively 'under-standing' :-)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ricinport
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2021 04:01:44(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Those are some great looking locomotives. Since yours is an American prototype layout, with Marklin, there are not as many American engines. I agree, those larger E8s would make good pullers. I would equate them to the motor wagon on my ICE.

I have a bit of a gradient issue too but discovered that motor unit can pull three other ICE wagons up my hill with little effort. I believe, added wagons could be connected without a problem.

Chris will confirm, some locomotives are just better pulling on hills than others. With two large E8s or an A and B you likely will not have problems, they use traction tires. I think I have seen them list on EBay, but not as often. They are popular. Marklin also made a GG1 which might also be a good one. #88490.

Let us know how things work out for you. An understanding wife is always a good asset.

Best wishes

Dwight

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 25 February 2021 20:24:42(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Chris will confirm, some locomotives are just better pulling on hills than others.

Absolutely - the amount of variation is quite surprising and the results often counter-intuitive. The top pulling diesel in my fleet is the 88132 Ludmilla and my star performing steamer the venerable 88942 BR94 which will pull 10 8730 coaches up by 3% gradients. The 88889 BR85 -seemingly a more powerful locomotive - can barely manage 3 and 88962 BR86 can't even do that, even with extra weight!

My impression is that double heading more than doubles the pulling power, though I haven't tested that with anything approaching scientific vigour!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2021 17:43:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Not much going on now. Thought I would share a photo.

[img=http://UserPostedImage]Double locos[/img]

Double traction!

Take good care

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Ricinport  
#10 Posted : 05 March 2021 17:52:16(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Nice pic Dwight.

Do you mean not much going on with you or not much going on here?

I'll admit it's a little quiet in the Z scale forum.

I've just posted a few pics of my efforts so far on another thread in case anyone is interested.
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2021 19:04:24(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Thanks.

Both I would say, not many new posts recently. I was hoping to get some responses. I will check out your pics

Things will perk up soon, they always do!

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 06 March 2021 17:35:53(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hi. Not much going on now. Thought I would share a photo.

That's a really nice looking layout, Dwight! I really like double-track configurations, though my own layout was too focussed on a particular prototype to be able to include one. For my next layout I will have one, though!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme